Jon either has the worst management in the sport or doesn't want the fight

krelianx

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
He has never sold past 869k buys. And that was against Cormier in a rematch with an insane rivalry against an also popular fighter. Not even Conor and Khabib made even remotely close to 30m a piece for their fight, which sold 2.6m buys, the biggest fight in the sport's history. And Conor is several times the draw that Jon is. He doesn't only sell many more ppvs, but also brings enormous media interest, casuals, etc. Khabib was also the biggest asset in the eastern European and middle eastern market, and they had an insane rivalry.

Are they supposed to spend 50-60m dollars in just the main event alone, for a ppv that is likely to sell no more than 1.4m, if that? Ngannou is not a household name, they have no rivalry, and Jon is not an enormous draw. They would have to be idiots. Lewis vs Ngannou would likely generate more profit considering what it would cost the UFC to do the Jones fight meeting Jones' demands.

And if Jon wins then what? You have him sitting on a belt demanding ludicrous money to defend it with no viable match ups worth the dollars he is asking to fight these days, bringing the division to a stall, ruining Ngannou who is an new exciting champ who wants to fight and is easy to deal with. Why risk the division for one fight that will be ridiculously expensive? They are far better off moving on with Ngannou and building him up, while getting the division moving.

Also, quoting Wilder or Fury's guaranteed purses relative to PPV sales makes one lose all credibility, because it doesn't even understand the boxing economic model.

Boxing is far more consolidated globally, as it always been, since it has been around forever, and it is a far more legitimized and established sport. The amount of revenue they generate from tv, sponsorships, media, product placement, and sales globally dwarfs the UFC, and anyone who doesn't have a peanut for a brain knows this. The amount of money that Wilder generates is not even in the same ballpark compared to Jon Jones. This is natural: they have been around for far, far longer, and the UFC is still penetrating key markets. New York just happened a few years ago for crying out loud.

There is not a single major economy that doesn't have substantial deals for boxing broadcasts, whether through ppv or tv (mostly the latter). Even in the developing world: freaking Peru has had a ppv model for big boxing events since the eighties. The UFC, for all its success, is still a developing sport that is growing its global market at an aggressive but consistent pace.

Jon either doesn't want the fight or he has the worst management in the history of the sport.

Last edited:
It's called negotiation. You have to start high if you want to eventually get your worth.

Jon is too much of a narcissist to sit on the sidelines forever while the MMA world moves on without him. As time passes he'll lower his asking price and we'll see him back in there, probably some time after the Francis/Lewis fight.

One of the GOATs, yet terrible at negotiating.

Why rush? He's still gaining. Thats the feel here in ABQ.

TS is pretty much spot on.

Then again, as previous post, Jon has to start as high as he can (no pun intended) because Dana is a monster at the table.

The fight will happen and i expect Jones get 10 - 15 mil.

It's called negotiation. You have to start high if you want to eventually get your worth.

Jon is too much of a narcissist to sit on the sidelines forever while the MMA world moves on without him. As time passes he'll lower his asking price and we'll see him back in there, probably some time after the Francis/Lewis fight.

Are you seriously this stupid? Asking for that amount of money is not negotiating. Jones is not getting any younger, and he hasn't been bulking up to sit in the sidelines for 9 more months until Lewis/Ngannou happens so he can bargain a fight. If Lewis wins that fight, he doesn't even get the 15m he was offered.

Yeah Idk how it all works.

Assume he made 1m buys
70m rev
50% for the platform
35m rev
Then Taxes???????
Insurance?
Medical bills?
Fighter payouts?
Ops?
Marketing?
Staffing?

Granted, sure there's beer sales, the gate, sponsors, commercials etc I can't imagine they have more than 15-20m after it's all said and done.
So if Jones takes a 30m payout, I think they're in a net negative.

Maybe i'm wrong.

no. this is hollywood bullshit that has little to no basis in reality.

when one starts stupidly high, it's not even worth the time to negotiate.

Exactly right - this isn't good faith bargaining. There's no further need to talk when one side is so far out of the realm of possibility. When even meeting halfway is not even close, the UFC would be wasting their time 'negotiating' this.

Although, I expect Jon to come out and say he never asked for $30 million. Dana and Jon are both proven liars, so who the fuck knows.

Reactions: HCS
He has never sold past 869k buys. And that was against Cormier in a rematch with an insane rivalry against an also popular fighter. Not even Conor and Khabib made even remotely close to 30m a piece for their fight, which sold 2.6m buys, the biggest fight in the sport's history. And Conor is several times the draw that Jon is. He doesn't only sell many more ppvs, but also brings enormous media interest, casuals, etc. Khabib was also the biggest asset in the eastern European and middle eastern market, and they had an insane rivalry.

Are they supposed to spend 50-60m dollars in just the main event alone, for a ppv that is likely to sell no more than 1.4m, if that? Ngannou is not a household name, they have no rivalry, and Jon is not an enormous draw. They would have to be idiots. Lewis vs Ngannou would likely generate more profit considering what it would cost the UFC to do the Jones fight meeting Jones' demands.

And if Jon wins then what? You have him sitting on a belt demanding ludicrous money to defend it with no viable match ups worth the dollars he is asking to fight these days, bringing the division to a stall, ruining Ngannou who is an new exciting champ who wants to fight and is easy to deal with. Why risk the division for one fight that will be ridiculously expensive? They are far better off moving on with Ngannou and building him up, while getting the division moving.

Jon either doesn't want the fight or he has the worst management in the history of the sport.
Jones manager is also Lewis' manager. So you can see why one of those fighters is likely getting fucked over in a way agents in other sports would get lynched for even considering. Let me ask you this, why should Jones settle for be underpaid worse than boxers 50 years ago?
Yeah Idk how it all works.

Assume he made 1m buys
70m rev
50% for the platform
35m rev
Then Taxes???????
Insurance?
Medical bills?
Fighter payouts?
Ops?
Marketing?
Staffing?

Granted, sure there's beer sales, the gate, sponsors, commercials etc I can't imagine they have more than 15-20m after it's all said and done.
So if Jones takes a 30m payout, I think they're in a net negative.

Maybe i'm wrong.
UFC would still make money if they paid Jon 30 million. They aren't worried about the event losing money, they're worried about fighters copying Jones down the road. They value compliance more than profit in this scenario.
no. this is hollywood bullshit that has little to no basis in reality.

when one starts stupidly high, it's not even worth the time to negotiate.
I would take Dana's 30 million claim here with a grain of salt. It's fucking Dana White.
One of the GOATs, yet terrible at negotiating.
Jon is a poor negotiator, but his agent is also Lewis' agent. So it's more like collusion and bad ethics.

Or they are just trying the ancient haggling tactic: meet in the middle.
Ask for twice what you aim for, the other party will offer you 1/4, you say "let's meet in the middle".
You get what you really aimed for.. the other party are happy and thought they negotiated you down immensely.

(Not saying it's a great strategy..just that there are way more possible alternatives than the 2 you are presenting)

Last edited:
Claims the UFC didn’t want to pay him, let’s Lewis take the fight, if Lewis wins then demands a title shot for less money then what he requested against Francis. Easily wins against Lewis, now he’s in control and holds the division up until he gets what he wants. And no longer has to worry about Francis since he just lost and has to work his way back up.

Last edited:
I just commented something very similar on another post. Jones is his own worst enemy.... Now if he moved up, dominated Ngannou. He could as a "undefeated" (I still think that Hamill 12 to 6 is bullshit that should be changed to a NC... and I hate Jones but I think that should happen.) Then as an undefeated double division champ that is reigning over the most sought after prize in the game. Sure... start asking for bigger paydays. You have nothing to go on right now except that his last 3 fights were the closest in Jones's career. So he left the division that was catching up to him. Not a good sign... So he's talking about moving up... Well your stock at HW is non existent. We knew DC was a monster at HW that's where he started. We have ZERO information to go on about how Jones's body.... his cardio or skill set will line up with HW's. We also know he's had a history with taller fighters giving him difficulties. Well, a lot of fighters at HW are his or close to his height. Yeah he's got longer arms, but if he gets his even remotely like he did at LHW at HW he's going to sleep. Do you think if he takes punches similar to the ones landed by any of the LHW's who've managed to crack him by either Lewis or Ngannou he's staying on his feet?

Back