Jon Anik's professionalism

It has been a thing to talk about how annoying he is or robotic or awkward etc, but I kept hearing other people who were working with him talking about how good he was at the job, DC talking about how amazing he is at his job and countless others.

And I started paying attention and he really does everything he's supposed to do flawlessly, his job is not to be entertaining but to get facts straight, and he pronounces every fighters name correctly, he does thorough research on what he talks about and doesn't miss a beat, and from interviews I've seen with him, he seems to be a genuine fan of the sport, hats of to Anik.

Anik-and-Cormier.jpg

20190425_7A22U9HC3ZxVJeH.png
Anik is great, sherdog hates people who are great! That's what happens when a plethora of cuck level people come together in a place where they don't have to face real consequences

Yeah he's the best at what he does currently.

If Gooden is doing his job I always mute the audio because of his nonstop outside of the octagon stories about how somebodies grandpa was a navy boxer 75 years ago.. he's usually chiming into the commentary a lot more than he should. Anik usually let the real pro's discuss the fighting.

It has been a thing to talk about how annoying he is or robotic or awkward etc, but I kept hearing other people who were working with him talking about how good he was at the job, DC talking about how amazing he is at his job and countless others.

And I started paying attention and he really does everything he's supposed to do flawlessly, his job is not to be entertaining but to get facts straight, and he pronounces every fighters name correctly, he does thorough research on what he talks about and doesn't miss a beat, and from interviews I've seen with him, he seems to be a genuine fan of the sport, hats of to Anik.

Anik-and-Cormier.jpg

20190425_7A22U9HC3ZxVJeH.png
He gets the basics right, and then he does a good job of setting up and passing conversation to the commentators. He "stays in his lane" better than Goldberg did.

He's boring and plays to the other commentators because he has no confidence in anything that he says. UFC has a huge problem with their color commentary having very little color so they frequently end up very boring, adding nothing to fights, or saying complete BS during fights. They need to find people that are some combination of Trevor Wittman and Joe Rogan where their brain isn't fried from drugs but they still have a personality and can give insightful commentary about what is happening in the fight PLUS being able to read an ad spot. I honestly don't believe the UFC is actively looking for better commentary and they just fill the spots as they open up with whomever wants to try it, even if they're active fighters (DC, Cruz, Bisping, Hardy?, Felder)

No, not "other commentators." He's not a commentator. It's not about having little confidence, it's about his job to set up the commentators for their input and his job is to do play by play. It's the same model they have in American football, basketball, soccer/football - one person tracks the action, the other guy gives the "color" details/insight/etc.

The fact that you fault him for doing his job correctly, and not trying to do the job others are supposed to be doing suggests you don't know WTF you are talking about.

Seems like a nice enough guy, just bland as hell.

Ill say it again for the people in the back .. Anik isnt a color commentator
He isn't color commentary but a color commentator could do his job PLUS color and it would be much better.

ufc isn’t looking for active commentary because they don’t have a commentary issue. The issue is all the people that are so hard to please and want to nitpick this guy for this, n this guy for this, thinking the perfect commentator exists. Each guys brings something unique to the table. It’s one thing to prefer one guy or another but the complaining that goes on around here over commentary is bonkers.
Obviously there's no perfect commentator, but the UFC isn't even trying to find a good combination of commentators. Instead of having 2 or 3 guys that can give expert analysis on striking, grappling, etc when combined, they get whatever fighter happens to be available to fill the role because they want to believe that a UFC fighter is actually a high-level expert in all of those fields plus able to vocalize it. Commentary is seen as a part-time job by the UFC for some reason.

No, not "other commentators." He's not a commentator. It's not about having little confidence, it's about his job to set up the commentators for their input and his job is to do play by play. It's the same model they have in American football, basketball, soccer/football - one person tracks the action, the other guy gives the "color" details/insight/etc.

The fact that you fault him for doing his job correctly, and not trying to do the job others are supposed to be doing suggests you don't know WTF you are talking about.
He is a commentator. There's no point of having someone on the microphone during the fight that just sets other people up. Boxing doesn't have someone spewing inane stats during the fights because it's not necessary. If anything, it seems like the UFC has Anik do what he does for radio even though I don't think the UFC broadcasts on the radio.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity; is it possible to get these jobs without being Jewish? Just wondering whether its worth my perusing

Look, anik is a G. He’s incredibly professional, does extensive homework on all the fighters/cards, and hes enthusiastic while calling the fights.

this is sherdog. One of the most toxic forums on internet. A place where haters/losers who have accomplished nothing in their lives come to trash others to feel better about themselves. It’s one thing to prefer one guy or another, but the amount of bashing that goes on in here is less about the fighter/announcer and more about the poster.

No idea why people piss on Anik. He is damn consistent

Look, anik is a G. He’s incredibly professional, does extensive homework on all the fighters/cards, and hes enthusiastic while calling the fights.

this is sherdog. One of the most toxic forums on internet. A place where haters/losers who have accomplished nothing in their lives come to trash others to feel better about themselves. It’s one thing to prefer one guy or another, but the amount of bashing that goes on in here is less about the fighter/announcer and more about the poster.

Meet me in my dojo. I will destroy you.

No idea why people piss on Anik. He is damn consistent
I think he’s great honestly. The dude gets so much flack for being like a “robot” or other dumb shit I’ve seen thrown around, the dude gets hype as fuck during exciting fights. I don’t know what else you could ask for

I like Anik, hes a little nasally, so he kinda fails the one requirement for the job (having a good voice), but hes good at commentary and a nice guy.

It’s definitely better than what Bellator’s got going on, that’s for sure. I was watching Manhoef vs Anderson a couple of days ago and the combination of Goldberg, Big Jon, and Thompson almost made me mute the damn fight lol

Mute more fights. I started doing it some years back. I probably watch 3/4 of fights muted. Couldn't stand Goldberg anymore at all and this was during the Rhonda age when Rogan was head over heels. Twas near unbearable.

Anik is cool, he started super robot-like, but has gotten better, he sounds human now, he even gets excited sometimes!

I guess I was against him mostly because Goldie is a legend and he got disrespected after years of service.

Anik keeps it professional and seems to be able to salvage awkward moments sometimes. He will never bring the excitement or unintentional comedy of Goldie, but that is ok he makes up for it with interesting questions to the fighter-commentators.

When it's just him and Dom it can get boring, they both keep it professional, but Anik needs someone that he actually likes to make small-talk while they let Dom brood and get ready to talk about whats happening.

I get beta nerd vibe from him. I still recall his helpless demeanor when DC and Jon got in that scuffle.

i dont think that was Anik, but his stunt double. cant think of his name.

EDIT:

YEAH, IT WAS DAVE SHOLLER, ANIK'S DOPPLEGANGER.

Last edited:
Mute more fights. I started doing it some years back. I probably watch 3/4 of fights muted. Couldn't stand Goldberg anymore at all and this was during the Rhonda age when Rogan was head over heels. Twas near unbearable.

I like the sounds of the crowd and in general the sounds of the fight.
The UFC should make muting just the commentary a thing, but I guess that would never happen because advertising or some greedy shit.

Anik is smart and professional. Most here dislike him because he replaced Goldie. But Goldie made UFC sound like a bush league org.

He is not the bro-type screaming out-loud kind of commentator so he needs someone like Mauro Ronello to complete the team. Rogan can do at as well, but he is very difficult to listen to due to his ADD and bias.

I like the sounds of the crowd and in general the sounds of the fight.
The UFC should make muting just the commentary a thing, but I guess that would never happen because advertising or some greedy shit.

I could dig that on fight pass or disc for sure.

Back