Jon Anik's professionalism

he has grown on me over time.

couldnt stand Anik's commentating at first. he sounded like a generic robot who didnt know a whole lot about mma but he seems to be a real fan these days who invested alot of time developing his knowledge and seems to be in this sport for the long run.

He is a solid play-by-play commentator. To some fans who watched during the Rogan/Goldberg era or some of the previous eras Anik will inevitably come across as boring or lacking in personality

But in terms of competence he is definitely much better than Goldberg and less prone to bias or hyperbole than Rogan

While everyone brings up ex fighters when talking about possible new announcers, I believe we'd really see that lack if they only had fighters on the announcing teams. The professional announcers like Anik do a lot to make the whole broadcast better, and give the ex fighter analysts a chance to shine where their perspective is needed.

I was one of the FIRST to say it.

Everyone who has a background in any kind of broadcasting/media/hosting likes or loves Anik. He is solid.

His robotic thing IS his thing.

The only reason why I dislike him is because he literally repeats the exact same MMA catch phrases every damn fight card. If I hear him say taken by storm again, I'll have an aneurysm.

Last edited:
I've come to like him. He comes across as knowledgeable and a genuine fan of the sport, which is endearing (whereas for someone like Goldberg you always got the impression it was first and foremost a job for him).

It has been a thing to talk about how annoying he is or robotic or awkward etc, but I kept hearing other people who were working with him talking about how good he was at the job, DC talking about how amazing he is at his job and countless others.

And I started paying attention and he really does everything he's supposed to do flawlessly, his job is not to be entertaining but to get facts straight, and he pronounces every fighters name correctly, he does thorough research on what he talks about and doesn't miss a beat, and from interviews I've seen with him, he seems to be a genuine fan of the sport, hats of to Anik.

Anik-and-Cormier.jpg

20190425_7A22U9HC3ZxVJeH.png
I used to dislike him when he first started but hes grown to be one of my favourite commentators right now

I thought he was a great announcer. Didn't talk too much and kept the focus on the action. Good job in general by the team. Not the usual endless sidebars.

I think reading commercials and promos during a fight is one of the least forgiving things to do on the mic and he does it well. Also, on paper, his breakdowns before fights come off as more thought out. It's his robotic demeanor that hinders the message a bit.

I personally don't dislike the dude.

That said, Goldie had the same role and he was just funnier. Every card seemed like his first time watching an MMA event.
Goldie was so clueless about MMA

That stuff is only funny for a bit, then it gets annoying

He's polished and not annoying

It has been a thing to talk about how annoying he is or robotic or awkward etc, but I kept hearing other people who were working with him talking about how good he was at the job, DC talking about how amazing he is at his job and countless others.

And I started paying attention and he really does everything he's supposed to do flawlessly, his job is not to be entertaining but to get facts straight, and he pronounces every fighters name correctly, he does thorough research on what he talks about and doesn't miss a beat, and from interviews I've seen with him, he seems to be a genuine fan of the sport, hats of to Anik.

Anik-and-Cormier.jpg

Thank you. Yes indeed, anik is a pro.

Anik-and-Cormier.jpg

He has some phrases he over uses but he’s an ace at his job

at weigh ins he would say “and a hook” instead of half a pound. He’s been saying “Seminole blow” nearly every card he’s on. He usually finds a time to say x fighter is “really wearing it now”.

wtf with english speakers and the thin voice play by play commentators? and the british are far worse...

Unless you're 6'4" 280 lbs 7% bodyfat with a perfect voice, hairline, and the most charisma in the world, with perfect planning and execution -- Sherdog will find your flaws.

Can't remember a single thing he's ever said.

At least Todd Grisham was entertaining that one time.

Considering how awful Rogan and Cormier and Felder are getting, Anik is moving up the ladder without doing anything

I’d rather listen to a crying donkey than Big John.

Back