Media Jon Anik thinks Tony vs Dustin will get worked out, and that Dustin is worth the money

Arkham's Notorious Geyser

"Sorry about that"
@red
Reaction score

3:43

Per UFC Commentator Jon Anik, in regards to the Tony Ferguson vs Dustin Poirier bout being scrapped, he thinks the fight WILL be worked out and he sides with Dustin.

"I think they'll find a way to make that thing happen I really do. I think Tony's appetite for it is healthy and uh, hopefully Dustin Poirier gets what he's looking for, I think he wants seven figures, and uh if you can find a boring round in Dustin Poirier's entire Mixed Martial Arts body of work let me know ya know, I think if anybody's worthy of 1 Million to show it's gotta be DP"

There ya have it Sherbros, I'm honestly surprised and happy with the amount of support Dustin's getting in this situation, from Tony Ferguson, to Daniel Cormier, someone who gets a bad rep for being a Shill, and now from Jon Anik, as well as others. It just speaks volumes to the amount of respect the MMA Community in general has for Dustin Poirier throughout his career, he went from a bald Journeyman drifting between visions, to a saloon quality fan favorite Fighter with Championship caliber, it's really cool to see. Dustin's earned it, even Conor has a hard time not giving him his props, and it's WELL documented that Khabib has a TON of respect for Dustin Poirier not just as a fighter, but as a person as well. You don't get praise like that from the majority of a community for no reason. Dustin's a fucking stud, and an all around class human being. With Blood Sweat and Tears, Dustin is one of the FEW fighters that climbed up the Shark tank at 155 the hard way. Fought former Champion after former Champion and even halted the momentum of Max Holloway who was riding a 13 Fight Winning streak.

Props to Jon Anik backing up the Prince of Louisiana, and hopefully we DO get to see this fight made, it's the second most interesting fight at LW besides Khabib vs Gaethje.

giphy.gif

WAR Dustin!!!

He called him DP?

Ouch. Not a nickname I'd want.

Theoretically, yeah he's worth the money. He's an elite fighter who is extremely entertaining and always comes to bang. I love watching him fight.

But having said that, that's not really how economics work. He's not really a big name, and he's not bringing a ton of eyes to a card based on his name value alone. And he's not holding a belt, so he doesn't really have a ton of negotiating leverage when it comes to holding out for more cash. They can easily just find another great matchup for Tony and move on (Oliveira, Chandler, Hooker, Holloway), without breaking the bank. I just can't see Dana caving and giving Dustin 7 figures... doesn't make any sense from a business standpoint for the UFC.

The 7 Figures might be iffy, but it's hard to argue he's not worth at least HALF of 7 Figures.

He should be getting 300k+

Like he said, can you find a boring round?
300k-500k makes sense.

But 1 million? That's pushing it.

The guy just isn't a needle mover. Simple as that. Great fighter and always gives us greats fights. But that's just not how the UFC makes business.

It's about who can sell. And let's be honest, Poirier Vs Ferguson is a fight for the hardcores not the casuals. It's not even a title fight.

Poirier priced himself out in this one.

Last edited:
The UFC should tell Poirier we'll give you one dollar for your next fight if you want to keep complaining that you're a big name and want a million bucks instead of what your however many fight contract says.

Give my boy 7 figures...he's worth it
Poirier v Tony would be awesome

The UFC should tell Poirier we'll give you one dollar for your next fight if you want to keep complaining that you're a big name and want a million bucks instead of what your however many fight contract says.
Dumbest post of the day.

I really hope it happens, I would love to see this fight. I like both guys, can't pick a winner, but I just know it would be a intense and epic fight

Why isn’t everybody shitting on Dustin like they did Masvidal? Legit question so don’t come at me like a douchebag.

I'm a huge Dustin fan but it would be hard to justify paying someone that much that's not one of the people in the main event or can severely increase sales.

That's just not smart business for the UFC

Back