Media Jon Anik offers a new idea for punishing fighters that don’t make weight

No. This isn’t the best idea I’ve ever heard. Fighters would just pull out with not enough notice to find a replacement if they knew there weight was off

I like the idea (not sure who said it first) of going from a base 20% or 30% off your purse, and then going up for every extra lb of missed weight. So you miss by 1lb, it's 30%; 2lbs, 40%, etc. With a maximum limit of, say, 50% or 60%.

That way the penalties would be larger, making fighters think twice before taking a fight at the wrong weight class. Also, a fighter that doesn't make the actual weight would still be encouraged to keep cutting to reduce the penalty, therefore reducing their advantage over their opponent in the actual fight. I don't think missing weight by 0.2lbs like Romero should be as big of a deal as missing by 4.5lbs like Perry.

Literally gives no impetus to a person to compete. If their choices are shit vs. more shit they'll just take more shit. And as someone else said, would likely just lead to people pulling out beforehand if they realize they MAYBE can't make weight.

I don't like missing weight having anything to do with the actual fight result. The fight is a fight. A money penalty is good enough. No one wants to make less money and the other fight has to still agree to fight.

If they miss weight they have to loan their wife to the other fighter
59875f202efd3.jpeg

Other fighter: "Nah its ok guys he was close enough"

Good idea but it would result in a ton of fight cancelations. Dude would just pull out and save it for another day. I'd hate to see big fights be canceled for a weight miss of 1 lbs. I like the idea of an automatic point deduction though.

I like the idea of an automatic point deduction too. While it doesn't get rid of all the advantage it mitigates it a bit.

Make it monetary and significant like 50 percent of purse, and that money goes into a pot that all the missed weight fighters fight for in a winner takes all tournament style contest to try to redeem their lost revenue.

It is better the money going to the fighter who made weight as they are taking the risk fighting the heavier fighter. There would be little incentive to fight someone overweight limit if money didn't go to them.

If you wanted to make it fair, the commission should make it so you can't fight if you don't make weight

I dunno man

seems like an accident waiting to happen if fighters get desperate

they are already at death's door many of them and if they know they can't even win the fight they might push it too far

and yeah yeah, it's on those guys but we all know that those guys are always going to exist anyways and we don't want any casualties

anik is right for once

Jungle Fights keeps it tight with point deductions:

Starting at Jungle Fight 48, every athlete that came up over the limit would lose 20 percent of their purses and be deducted one point. If they missed weight by more than 1kg (2.2lbs), they lose another point. If they are more than 2kg (4.4lbs) over, they lose three points.

What you say sherbros? Yay or nay?

Absolutely brilliant because you still get your fight pay, you get your PPV and Dana will or will not count it as a win (and already under rules you do not win the belt). So no fucking change except a NC instead of W on your record and nobody cares about that if you beat the snot out of your opponent.

It's not like fighters aren't trying their best to make it. Upping the punishment won't achieve anything.

Perhaps make it mandatory to move up a weight in your next fight. At least that might encourage fighters to consider moving up longer term.

Back