Jojo Calderwood Wallace WarWagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
As intriguing a Muay Thai matchup as JoJo vs. Angela Hill would be, it doesn't really help JoJo. Is she wins, she beat a 2-0 fighter. If she loses, it sets her path to the title back.

She should fight Penne, Gadelha or maybe a Rose rematch to prove she's the better fighter outside of the TUF house.

It would be quite interesting to see if Tecia would fare better against Jo Jo than did Hamderlei.

She's giving up slightly more reach and height than Hamderlei did and with her lack of finishing ability I don't see that fight going well for Tecia.

awesome :)

10i7ztu.jpg

Nice gif, but those effects are really weird lol.

Alos where's Jojo's spinnig back kick? She did it twice, never seen her do a spinning attack, she was full on with spinnig elbows and back kicks.

Nice gif, but those effects are really weird lol.

Alos where's Jojo's spinnig back kick? She did it twice, never seen her do a spinning attack, she was full on with spinnig elbows and back kicks.
sorry I didnt make this GIF. It's from tumblr.

Honestly, Calderwood is the best representation of pure Muay Thai I've seen in the UFC, and by far.

Though I'm a big Aldo fan, he's basically a dutch style kickboxer, as are almost all the MMA fighters claiming MT as their stand up style.

Then there are guys like Cerrone, Matt Brown, etc. who use some kicks, knees and standing elbows but nowhere near as polished.

Calderwood knows how to maneuver her opponent in the clinch to land knees and elbows and she does so consistently. She is very good at timing her opponents, getting them to walk into low kicks, knees and teeps as they come forward. She even has the confidence to step in and throw elbows in the center of the octagon.

There is no man on the roster right now who does all that. 95% of them can't even check low kicks.

http://forums.sherdog.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Honestly, Calderwood is the best representation of pure Muay Thai I've seen in the UFC, and by far.

It will be interesting to see, when Justine Kish is healed up and can fight in the UFC, if she is a contender to take that honor from Jo Jo.

Kish is a dangerous fighter because physically she is a beast/bear/tank :) She is nowhere as slick and well-rounded as Calderwood. In these sort of matchups, the less technical fighter can still win (esp. in WMMA where physical strength, athleticism are even more of a factor) but I wouldn't bet on it.

I would say that there are two really skilled kick fighters in the UFC's 115 division, and Calderwood just beat one of them. The other is of course Jedi. And that fight I can not venture a guess on. Both girls have much experience under FTR but use very different styles.

I would say that there are two really skilled kick fighters in the UFC's 115 division, and Calderwood just beat one of them. The other is of course Jedi. And that fight I can not venture a guess on. Both girls have much experience under FTR but use very different styles.
JoJo/Joanna sounds awesome and scares the hell out of the JoJo fan in me at the same time. JoJo tends to be susceptible to punches up the middle and Joanna has some serious power and could possibly get the KO. The longer the fight went on though the better I would feel for JoJo because she is the more technical striker.

Joanna has some of the best boxing in MMA, she's slick and has power. Awesome jabbing skills, jabs to the body, hooks, uppercuts, etc. Has a good teep also. She tends to get into brawlings tho.

If the fight should happen, Jojo would need to establish her teep right away and start kicking the legs of Jedi's to take away some of her power, so she can sit on her punches as well. Jojo could also user hellbows when Jey wants to close the distance and then clinch, Jojo's knees and elbows would do the trick, using takedowns to mix up and set other attacks would also be useful.

Jojo's gotta be careful and use more headmovement and footwork (like she did against Katja, Cummins), kick the arms, so to tire and hurt Jey's arms. Also, most of Jey's money shots come from that right hand, specially her slapping overhand right, Jojo needs to take away the jab of Joanna so that she can't set it up.

Both have good chances of winning, Joanne's got more tools in the standup and she has shown she's very proficient in all areas of the striking game. Joanna's very atheltic, strong chick that's very explosive and has good cardio, with KO power. It would be an awesome matchup.

Man yeah, Jedi is a tricky one. And she's done well to adapt her game to MMA; learning TD defense and basic ground work but also developing a good sense of risk management (knowing when to throw and when to move). There have been some high level kickboxers in the past who really struggled with this in MMA, either being too gun shy or too aggressive.

I thought that Jojo's footwork and distance looked very good against Ham, which bodes well for a potential matchup with Jedi. She knows now that there are a handful of strikers in the division that will not let her get away with lazy footwork.

She still ate some shots but Ham is quick, has really good boxing and being a great kick fighter herself, knows how to deal with/counter a Thai boxer. I was really impressed with the accuracy and power of her hands even before the fight. So the fact that Ham wasn't completely shut down is not a blemish on Jojo's performance.

Another thing to take notice is that Ham is a very good striker herself and a southpaw, her left hand is money, people just didn't know her and being undersized didn't help either.

Joanna does switches stances but she's mostly orthodox, she has a nice left hook tho.

Jo Jo has to start a little quicker in her fights. I still think she will be a factor in this division for awhile.

Jo Jo has to start a little quicker in her fights. I still think she will be a factor in this division for awhile.

I agree with this.

She's almost like Condit, in that regard. She starts out slow, then picks up the pace as the fight goes on.

Joanne Calderwood: Fighting on a UFC show in Scotland would be "a dream come true for me"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other...ghting-ufc-show-4852118#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Calderwood's focus and desire to be the best was encapsulated by her post-fight behaviour; she was on a flight back to Scotland the following morning to return to training.
It's an attitude which is in sharp contrast to some of the other TUF fighters, including new 115lbs champion Carla Esparza, who have stated they now want some time off after the stresses of The Ultimate Fighter house.
Jo added, "I can understand that they want time off but I would want time off if I was still in the house! Now I'm back with my family and I'm back in a reasonable environment, I'm happy.
"After this fight, that's kind of been the turning point and the end of the whole TUF thing for me. Now I don't have to be in a room with all these other girls and that weekend is the last time I'll have to be with all those girls again."

v3dj41.jpg

55hs0k.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back