Joint Supplements

gspieler

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I’m training for my first marathon(about 10 weeks out at this point). My mileage has been at 30+ miles/week for about 6 months now. I’ve been increasingly having back/knee pain, in spite of having good form, stretching/foam rolling, and doing full-body resistance training 2x/week. The best thing I could do is taper IMO, but this close to the event, I’m going to try and work through it, and take a break after.

I’ve been looking into some joint supplements, namely collagen and/or gelatin. Anybody have any experience taking these? Anybody familiar with the scientific literature on this?

Off the top of my head, I can’t see how the efficacy of it would be any greater than glucosamine, as there is no direct blood supply to connective tissue.

Other factors are I’m 6’3”, 220lbs. I’ve run 7 half-marathons in the past, but never a full. Any insight appreciated.

Mods: if you need to move this to D&S, so be it. Posting here, as that sub forum is pretty stagnant.

Would be cool just to do an ammy fight or two. I’m 36, though. The risk/reward isn’t really there for me.
Fair enough. I only did 1 and was 28 at the time. Was in the gym 4 hours a night for 3 months to prepare. I did win though! Was jk about marathons are for losers btw.

I take fish oil and I can feel the difference. Specially with my ankles

I take fish oil and I can feel the difference. Specially with my ankles
I take fish oil occasionally. Get most of my Omega 3 just eating fish, beef, etc though.

I take fish oil occasionally. Get most of my Omega 3 just eating fish, beef, etc though.

I like fish, Im just not sure if I eat if consistently enough, so I don't mind supplementing it.

Lose some weight. I’m 6’3” and was around 220 and after running all the time I’m around 190-200 now. I do get some knee pain though which blows.

I think you might be on the heavy side for running a full marathon. There’s no way you are fat having trained the past six months but do you lift hard? That’s going to put on unnecessary weight which not only adds stress to your joints but could also affect your stride.

We’re the same height and I’ve found that hovering around 190lbs to be a nice compromise of speed and strength. Even lighter would be ideal for a full marathon. My build is on the light side so getting down that low might not be an option for everyone.

As for supplements the only thing that has worked for my joints is salmon oil. My joint pain is a result compound fractures and any relief is noticeable.

Prolly not lookin the ghrp route, but ipamorelin has helped me in past with muscle recovery & tissue/joint repair.

I’ve heard good things about mgf & ghrp 6, specifically with Tissue & collagen repair. I have no experience those 2 though.
https://www.transformyou.com/blog/4-peptides-enhance-tissue-injury-repair-and-recovery?hs_amp=true

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28599103/
If you are Upping miles & lifting too, peps can help facilitate connective tissue, collagen repair & muscle recovery.

Last edited:
Back