Joint pain when training

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by namdogg59, Aug 12, 2010.

1. namdogg59

namdogg59 Yellow Belt

Does anyone get join pain in their elbows when they train? I started getting this pain recently. I also lift weights and do exercises like skullcrushers, so maybe this is leading to pain in jiu-jitsu?

Just wondering if anyone else is having a similar problem and what you did to help relieve some of the pain.

2. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

Take a week or two off from both weight lifting and then try rolling again and see if it still hurts. Or wear elbow compression braces

3. namdogg59

namdogg59 Yellow Belt

hmmm... it's hard to take a break from weight lifting, but maybe I'll give that a try.

4. HardEight

HardEight Blue Belt

I used to get it bad. Doc said it was tendonitis. Now I stretch and pop my elbows so frequently that it never really bothers me.
    I do have terrible pains in one of my hips now, and that is scary. I am going to see the doc tomorrow with fingers crossed that I do not have to have surgery.

5. namdogg59

namdogg59 Yellow Belt

Hopefully you don't get any bad news from your doctor.

What type of stretch would help the elbow joints?

6. nkkny1

nkkny1 Yellow Belt

I actually just posted something about taking vacation and my joints stopped hurting. I definitely do feel joint pain when I roll a lot. Usually on my knees, elbows and shoulders. It's probably a combination of all of the push ups, guard work, and all of the submissions.

The joint pain came back as soon as I started rolling again. :mad: It's not bad, but it is annoying.

7. BSFT

BSFT Brown Belt

i get some aches and pains, after particularly hard days, but i just chalk it up to being 30.

8. Rws177die

Rws177die Yellow Belt

I just make sure my trainning partner doesn't stretch my arms at all when we are doing basic arm bars in class.

9. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

You should be deloading at regular intervals anyway. Taking breaks is integral to weight lifting to begin with.

10. HardEight

HardEight Blue Belt

Thanks, me either, I hope its just tendonits too and will go away eventually.

I started out by tying an old belt around my wrist where it will catch my palm in a relaxed state.
    I let the other end hang down to the floor and squatted down a little and stood on the other end of the belt. I slowly stood up and relaxed my entire arm while the belt pulled down on my hand.
    The stretch made everything feel better.
    Now I have gotten to the point of just being able to hold my writs with the opposite hand between my knees and stretching out that way. Some times it pops. I am no medical expert and there is an age old debate on if popping joints is bad for you so take whatever advice you get subjectively. This is what works for me.

11. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

I get pain in my elbows if my training partner puts too much pressure on my forearms when my arms are fully flexed, like if I'm trying to escape side control and he puts a lot of shoulder pressure on my forearms. Not sure what that is from, but it is annoying, and I've had to tap from it before.

12. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

13. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

Joint pain?

That's an arm bar...just tap.

[Goes to read TS post]

Oh....glucosamine chondroitin.

14. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

glucosamine with chondritin is sometheing I will literally swear by as far as helping the joints. Just went out and bought a new bottle lastnight.

15. namdogg59

namdogg59 Yellow Belt

Yeah I've been taking fish oil, but not sure what that does for the joints. Guess I gotta go get a bottle of glucosamine chondroitin.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

16. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

Fish oil will help with inflammation. Common cause of joint pain.