Joint, ligament and tendon injuries in BJJ

I did the patella graph the first 3 times. I just recently switched my insurance and was able to get in with a sports orthopedic surgeon. From what he told me I needed something a lot stronger just based on my lifestyle and my activity level. I guess once you go synthetic or cadaver you are pretty much in the same strength catergory as if you never did it. But I will see what happens this time

Really? I was told the opposite that the patella graft is the strongest one.

Sounds more like your RCL (radial collateral ligament) that one seems to be much more difficult to injure. Maybe you just pulled one of the muscles or damaged a tendon!

Better than that "Tommie John" surgery right?? Thanks for all your insight!

I was late to tap to a sub in training because I didn't realise that my arm had very little oxygen left in it while I was escaping a sub at the moment my training partner decided to crank it on. Now my arm hurts like a bitch and I'm taking advice from everybody hoping that it will take less than six weeks to heal as people have told me is totally possible.

Really? I was told the opposite that the patella graft is the strongest one.

The patella became pretty popular over the older hamstring grafts, But with cadaver legiments the healing time is much shorter, suposed to be less painful and is supposed to be the strongest..... But I'm not a doctor, I am just going off all the research I did and the doctor I talked to. I did a ton of research before my last surgery, I thought there had to be some reason I was on surgery number 4, especially since I really am not sure how I tore it the last time.

you should just review techniques on youtube or something. It's not the same as class but it's better than nothing.

I was just out for the month of Ramadhan, and I feel like I actually came back better having watched a lot of videos.

hi thanks for the advice.

i dont really watch instructionals for a few reasons. firstly i want my style to be that of my club and instructors, not some hybrid of youtube videos and stuff.

secondly i was told learning from youtube is just shit. you dont know who is teaching it, what they are teaching you correctly, what they are missing out etc.

obviously there are well known black belts etc on youtube, but still. id rather just learn from the people around me and experimenting.

i have the bjj university book tho. i was advised to get it more for the mindset of a beginner than as a bible of bjj, esp the submissions.

before i started bjj i skipped through some renzo gracie dvd i downloaded but it was so boring i fell asleep thinking to myself this is shit you have to just do it. then i started.

Yes, something will happen to you eventually from my experience.

The patella became pretty popular over the older hamstring grafts, But with cadaver legiments the healing time is much shorter, suposed to be less painful and is supposed to be the strongest..... But I'm not a doctor, I am just going off all the research I did and the doctor I talked to. I did a ton of research before my last surgery, I thought there had to be some reason I was on surgery number 4, especially since I really am not sure how I tore it the last time.
Well hope this time it works out for ya. I am just hoping to get back on the mat in 6 months. I had my surgery first week of Sept, so I am about 3 weeks post op now. My ROM is pretty good. I am walking with one crutch and I go back to work in a week. The pain the first week or two was insane, I could barely touch it, let alone move it or stand up, now it feels good ... tight but good. My PT is really impressed with the ROM and flexibility I've got so quickly. He thinks it's looking good. Only thing that worries me is the numbness/loss of sensation around the patella/kneecap.

Well hope this time it works out for ya. I am just hoping to get back on the mat in 6 months. I had my surgery first week of Sept, so I am about 3 weeks post op now. My ROM is pretty good. I am walking with one crutch and I go back to work in a week. The pain the first week or two was insane, I could barely touch it, let alone move it or stand up, now it feels good ... tight but good. My PT is really impressed with the ROM and flexibility I've got so quickly. He thinks it's looking good. Only thing that worries me is the numbness/loss of sensation around the patella/kneecap.

Mines been numb for 8 years. not sure if that ever comes back. My first surgery, the pain was ridiculous!!! the second was bad but, I knew what was coming. then the third the pain was insane again. I have to say though it did seem less painful on this last one with the cadaver ligament. Not sure why it would be different but, I was walking with a limp but, no crutches after 2 weeks. and I was running after about 3 months so the healing time was WAY faster this time around. I just took the 8 months off to deal with the muscle atrophy.

Mines been numb for 8 years. not sure if that ever comes back. My first surgery, the pain was ridiculous!!! the second was bad but, I knew what was coming. then the third the pain was insane again. I have to say though it did seem less painful on this last one with the cadaver ligament. Not sure why it would be different but, I was walking with a limp but, no crutches after 2 weeks. and I was running after about 3 months so the healing time was WAY faster this time around. I just took the 8 months off to deal with the muscle atrophy.
I suffered severe muscle atrophy because I got injured late July and waited until Sept to have the surgery because of my insurance. To top that all off, I had my meniscus removed as well and because it was a bucket handle tear I couldn't put any weight on it for over 5/6 weeks until I had the surgery.

006kvw.jpg

my finger went one way and my body went the other when i put my hand down to base

even if you did everything perfectly they can still happen. eat well, warm up well, train smart, supplement exercises outside of class and be careful!

Screw knee injuries lol. I've been dealing with those almost the past year, but they probably don't heal all the way because I keep training. I just got one reinjured a few weeks back though, I was kneebar'd slightly too far I think. It seems to be slowly improving though, and I don't really notice it much once I'm rolling. I dunno lol.

Are they inevitable? What are the best ways to prevent them? (Specifically finger injuries)

Rock climbing has really helped my hands. I think it has a lot to do with strengthening the fingers in a linear pulling motion (training them to pull straight, instead of at odd angles as in jiu-jitsu) and increasing blood flow to those areas. These days if I hurt my fingers, it's usually because of an overzealous collar choke.

I'm in crouches and in the next 2 weeks I'm going in for meniscus repair (arthrosocope).

The funny thing is that I've never been injured seriously in training, both Judo and Bjj, only minor finger or toe strains . I'm always very relaxed and never try to push things.

I got the meniscus tear from lifting weights without a warm up and bad technique.... In fact I had just bought a lot of kettlebels and was lifting only 12kg just to test various techniques and my knee locked (meniscus tear) because of my bad form....... That was in February, took 2 months off and was ok after... until last week that my knee locked again and now I need surgery.

Message of the story: Always warm up, stretch and watch your form!!!

Back