Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Join the WRBC! The War Room Book Club.

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by AgonyandIrony, Aug 1, 2020 at 6:23 PM.

1. Ultra O’Dia Brown Belt

i actually loved that movie, lol.

watching it with my son when he was small.

Fluffernutter likes this.
  2. tonni 2019 Snitch of the Year

3. Lead /Led/ like the panda Staff Member Senior Moderator

Under the Influence is about how government action can shape societies behaviors. The main point of the book is a pitch that there can be policies enacted to help curb climate change and we already do this for other things like sin taxes.

Talking to Strangers is about people thinking they have a good read on truth tellers and liars but that doesn’t seem to be the case for a few reasons. He goes through really high profile examples like a Cuban spy in the US government who went undetected for a long time. It ties the whole book up with police brutality which makes it very relevant to the current climate.

Antisocial is about the alt-right and Cernovich from around 2015-Charlotteville. I never really knew anything about that guy aside form people referencing (good and bad) on here.

Why we’re polarized and righteous mind are about the differences between left and right minded thinkers. Polarized obviously covers more on where the divide is (primarily population density) and righteous mind tries to look into the psychology of why someone would think each way.

Identity Crisis is an analysis of the 2016 election and what was and wasn’t so different about it from past elections.

China and the world is just a summarized modern history of China, goals and their positioning in the world.

The reason for any of them would be if your interested in that topic I suppose. I like politics and understanding why people or societies think the way they do so most of these books address some piece of that.

4. Gutter Chris Circus Ninja Southwest Voodoo Wizard

I know that painting ! Was in my history book and i thought it was a cool peice of art how it showed hes a criminal and a hero at the same time . Im familier with brown to a degree but i never studied him further than the deets on the raid.

Does that note still exist in a museum somewhere?

That had to have been such a crazy time to be alive. Depending on where you stood it probably either seemed like the future was coming tomorrow or like the end of the world had arrived. Ive been facinated with that time in history for most of my life. I watched gwtw and the blue and the gray with my moms as a kid and wanted to know all about the war.

The reason i was thinking id read all footes books is i love kens burns doc and hes the main dude that tells you stuff in that and i wanted to hear him go way into detail. Been watchin him on youtube as of lately i can listen to him talk for hours. I think most southern accents are kind of abrasive but his is rather soothing lol

Current times got me thinkin about the last time we as a nation decided we couldnt get along and how long the struggle for everyone to be free in our country has been. I used to think we were almost there with the chappelle show like wed become comfortable enough with one another to mock each other but either i was wrong or shit went backwards.

5. Overtures Known Agitator

let's go full retard and read Trump Jr.'s book to start

AgonyandIrony likes this.
  6. ElKarlo Steel Belt

Planet money did a special on the farmer that git his CCP guy to let him run his own plot. Was amazing how much push back there was. How they thought about hiding the results. It was only the sheer failure of the great leap forward that allowed them to not suck. Amazing stuff

Yehudim likes this.
  7. forum poster Brown Belt

The last political book I read Anarcho syndicalism: Theory and Practice by Rudoph Rocker, mainly due to Chomsky's recommendation.

[​IMG]

Talking to my daughter about the economy by Yanis Varoufakis was the last audiobook I listened to.

The last right-wing book I read (or skimmed over) for curiosity sake was Kevin Macdonalds anti-Semitic book "A People That Shall Dwell Alone: Judaism As a group evolution Strategy with Diaspora Peoples"

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 9:42 PM
    AgonyandIrony likes this.
  8. Yehudim Orange Belt

That sounds awesome, do you have a link or can tell me what to google?

oh and don’t you know that’s American propaganda? Everybody knows we have to praise the CCP for lifting a billion out of poverty ;)

Cuzcatlan likes this.
  9. ElKarlo Steel Belt

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw2_4vDPgUhNyE8WRmGkYIkN

This is it iirc.
    Yeah, I mean they did. But at a massive cost to their own people. They did what Europe did to their colonies, to themselves

10. M3t4tr0n Sheriff of Sherfront

11. gentlemanjack White Belt

Recently I‘be read “Nothing Like it in the World,” by Stephen E. Ambrose. An easy interesting story about the building of the transcontinental railroad. An amazing undertaking when our nation was tearing itself up.

Followed that up with “The Riddle of the Compass,” by Amir D. Aczel. An enjoyable look into the compass, where it was supposedly invented and the evolution of the early compass. A short easy read, finished it in a day.

I’m currently working through “The Heart of Everything That Is,” by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin. It’s the tale of Sioux head man Red Cloud and his eventual stand against the expansion of the US. A very interesting read so far.

forum poster likes this.
  12. TheComebackKid Titanium Belt

13. AgonyandIrony Gold Belt

All of that sounds absolutely fascinating. If you could only order one which would you recommend? Also what is the general consensus about the differences between the left and right from what you've read? Talking to Strangers seems great.

Not to sound like a hippy... But I fucking love trees. I'll check this one out.

I highly recommend it. I first heard about Brown in the book Lies My Teacher Told Me, when I was a teenager. Started a life long fascination for me. I've not read The Good Lord Bird, but I've heard good things. Showtime is doing a show about him and I've watched the trailer so many times.

As to his final note I'm unsure. One of the lesser known things is how interesting the funeral was and the people who showed up to pay respects and sing over the body. His work with Harriet Tubman. Hot damn he's such an interesting dude. I'll check out what you're recommending though, I do find Ken Burns work to be incredible.

That would be so much fun lol. I'm sure there are plenty of second hand copies lol. I can't read stuff like that. It drives me up the wall.

Overtures likes this.
  14. AgonyandIrony Gold Belt

Oh that's the good shit right there. It's on my list of things to read, anything Noam recommends I'm about it. Noam is my favorite living American author and the person who has had the most influence on my beliefs.
    [​IMG]
    Life changing read.

As to anarcho-syndicalism I've always heard that book was a must read.
    A book sitting on the shelf I've not read in forever is The Conquest of Bread.
    [​IMG]
    It's influence on the Spanish Civil War is not to be understated.
    Speaking of The Spanish Civil War I finished Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell again last month and it's incredible. Orwell documents the war and his time in a Marxist militia in such an eloquent way, as with most Orwell it's very easy to read.

Fun fact. Nothing Like It In This World is sitting next to me at this very moment. I've no clue as to why it's my designated blunt rolling book, but it is lol. Stephen Ambrose is so great, and his influence on the WW2 museum here is not to be trifled with.

gentlemanjack likes this.
  15. forum poster Brown Belt

Yeah, I've been meaning to read the Conquest of Bread for some time as well. I've read Chomsky"Manufacturing consent" and "Understanding power". Understanding Power I couldn't put down. It's a very easy read but covers so much. It's mainly just print out's of his lectures of the years condensed into book form.

16. AgonyandIrony Gold Belt

I need to read Understanding Power again. There was a Rona outbreak at some of the libraries but not the main library so I might pick pick it up today. Main reason I'm going is because I saw they have a translated copy of Kobane Calling. Basically a graphic novel from an Italian artist who went to fight in Rojava. From being smuggled into Syria from Turkey to the fighting. I've been wanting to pick it up for some time.

You should really pick up A Small Key Can Open A Large Door I think you'll vibe real well with it. I don't know if you know much about Abdullah Ocalan the leader of the PKK writing philosophy from a Turkish prison but he was incredibly influenced by Murray Bookchin and his books Civilization Narratives and of course Ecology of Freedom. I've been really interested in the theory of Democratic Confederalism and Ocalan is a pioneer of the Kurdish experiment in Iraq and Syria.

I really wish more people read Manufacturing Consent. It's an absolute requirement for understanding corporate medias role of oppression in a Capitalist society.

forum poster likes this.
  17. tonni 2019 Snitch of the Year

You'll never look at trees the same way.

18. AgonyandIrony Gold Belt

Am I... Am I going to want to fuck those trees?
    Real talk though break if down for me. What do you love about it?

19. TheComebackKid Titanium Belt

Just finished:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fascinating book by Lee Cummings detailing the history of Black Europe. So called black people ruled Europe all the way up until the 17th and 18th centuries at which point so called white people took over. King James and the Stuart monarchy were so called black people. They were overthrown during a series of religious race wars throughout the 1600s and 1700s. Cromwell deported 300,000 black Irishmen in 1641 to America for example. Another 100,000 to Barbadoes in the 1650s. The Jacobites were so called black Scottish who were in rebellion to the King George III in the 1700s and stage many revolts. After their final defeat in 1745 they too were shipped out to America and other places as slaves. This is why so many black people have Irish/Scottish names...we've always had those names.

Furthermore this book points out that the black Scots, Irish, and Brits were all the same people and were known as the "Covenanters", from the Tribe of Judah, who considered the Catholic Church to be the anti-christ. In fact they wrote what amounts a declaration of war against the Pope and Catholicism.

All I can say after reading this book, and others, is...WE WUZ KANGZ N*****!

20. John Black White Belt

[​IMG]
    Classic one

[​IMG]
    This is hard one. Super big and it feels too polished and too good. There are literally 1-2 hard times he had during his presidency according to this book. Other than that everything was too perfect. However writing is nice and overall quality is superb. Kinda 3/5 for me.