Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Join the WRBC! The War Room Book Club.

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by AgonyandIrony, Aug 1, 2020 at 6:23 PM.

1. AgonyandIrony Gold Belt

Left/Right doesn't matter. We all know acronyms add legitimacy to just about everything. What have you been reading, what do you want to read, and what are your favorite historical books and what do you think about them? I was just thinking about how the only right wing literature I really like is Atlas Shrugged. I get the complaints for sure, butt I still think it's an important book to read.

Currently I'm reading through these.
    [​IMG]
    Really really good. It's short, has the Rojava constitution in it and goes into some history about the Kurds as well as the purpose of Rojava. Basically a must read if you're interested in why the Kurds are fighting.
    [​IMG]
    It's written fucking beautifully first and foremost. Historical authors who can portray history with the excitement of a fiction author are rare and we should cherish them. (RIP Stephen Ambrose) The history of West Virginia and coal mining is fucking straight up insane and it's perfectly documented here. Names, dates and the best researched book on the coal mining wars I've read.
    [​IMG]
    This book... it's thicc, and not in a bad way. David S Reynolds research can not be appreciated enough, It's almost hard to explain the importance of each paragraph in a 506 page book, but the way it dives into his life, his motivations, every moment. I've said on this site John Brown is likely my favorite American hero and this book gave me an entirely different mindset on viewing Christians as a whole. Dude read the Bible and basically said "Slavery is evil. The bible said so and God put me on this Earth to end it" and in a way he did. Most importantly it finally gets rid of the lie told forever after his death about him being some randomly crazy person who raided Harpers Ferry. That moment changed American history forever.

Anyway, what are you guys reading, thinking about, recommend (I'm curious if you're a Jordan Peterson fan. What is it about that book that's so good for people?) I rarely start threads, so just try not to be dicks to each other. Let's quit talking about tweets and start talking about books y'all.

Gandhi, BAKM, bootsy and 8 others like this.
  2. HARRISON_3 Gold Belt

3. BEER Steel Belt Platinum Member

Audiobooks are a lifesaver. I have a fucking terrible time reading with my focus issues, but listening has cured that.

I know I'm late to the party but I've been listening to Catch and Kill by Ronan Farrow.

Grant Me Revenge and Lead like this.
  4. Satanical Eve Cro Cop's Left Leg Platinum Member

Just finished reading this book for a second time. Great companion piece for fans of the Wire
    [​IMG]

5. The Stoat He/him/his

[​IMG]

The MacArthur study Bible. The notes help understanding of scripture

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 6:45 PM
  6. Gutter Chris Circus Ninja Southwest Voodoo Wizard

On jordan peterson

Its reads like self help. If you are struggling to get your act together 12 rules might be a good book to you. If you have yourshit together it just reads like common sense you figure everyone already knows. Jp can be a bit of a cornball and sometimes gets crazy .... but i think he sort of functions as a father figure to lost boys who grew up without one.

That john brown book looks like an interesting read. How come hes your favorite american hero? Im not sure if i have one but willie t sherman comes right to mind when i think about it. I have always enjoyed stories about him and its my opinion that dude saved america

Im currently not reading anything but im probably going to delve into shelby footes books on the civil war next when i work up the motivation for some heavy reading.

WhitebeltXL and ElKarlo like this.
  7. Overtures Known Agitator

8. Gutter Chris Circus Ninja Southwest Voodoo Wizard

That was my fave cop show back in the day. I always wanted to read that book.

9. Strychnine Steel Belt

Without fail.. Lord willing.

and...

[​IMG]

Wow, there's so much in this book that I'd like to share, but nearly every page is like a spoiler from a movie. A real page-turner this one is.

10. AgonyandIrony Gold Belt

I've not read Dahl in the hottest of minutes, what is it about the book that calls to you?

I legit can't do them, but to be fair I haven't really tried. It's funny I can't concentrate on hardly anything either but I tend to go through books with a highlighter and I carry three different books and a journal on my person anywhere I go. Basically I've always had 30 pages open on Google in some way or another. What's Catch and Kill about?
    I'll have to check it out, is it more of a gang novel to the show? I bought "The Axe Man of New Orleans" as research to my tour guide job and if you're into crime stuff. Ho-lee fuck. Absolutely gruesome. He literally wrote a letter to the newspaper how he was a god damn demon there to murder people but he liked jazz so he wouldn't kill anyone "having a jazz" (jazz party) So New Orleans got the fuck down even more than usual. Never died either. Yo, I got a book for y'all later.

bootsy and BEER like this.
  11. BEER Steel Belt Platinum Member

It's an expose on Weinstein, or more precisely, how often Farrow encountered opposition in publishing his stories on Weinstein.

Great listen.

12. Orgasmo Silver Belt

Does Playboy count? I found my dad's 80's stash and is willing to donate. I didn't check for sticky pages.

Grant Me Revenge likes this.
  13. Corn Pop Hombre Purple Belt Platinum Member

Right up my alley. Adding it to my list

AgonyandIrony and Strychnine like this.
  14. Fluffernutter Silver Belt

Book is much better than the movie.

15. Lead /Led/ like the panda Staff Member Senior Moderator

Like some mentioned, audiobooks have kinda gotten me through some books compared to prior years. Went through these this year so far:
    Under the Influence by Robert Frank
    Talking to Strangers by Malcolm Gladwell
    Antisocial by Andrew Marantz
    Why We’re Polarized by Ezra Klein
    The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt
    Identity Crisis by John Sides, Michael Tesler, and Lynn Vavreck
    Recommend any of them

Currently on China and the World by David Shambaugh

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 7:14 PM
    Jack V Savage likes this.
  16. AgonyandIrony Gold Belt

Okay sorry but I'm ordering that fucking book right now. Everything about that book cover looks perfect. I'm not even reading reviews, just going by your recommendations. Give me a brief idea of what I'll be reading.

I've got this baby in the mail though. I read it a long time ago and lost it in one of my countless moves but I'm super excited to read it again. Especially with the news the president of Mexico is allowing the EZLN to expand their territories to eleven more cities in Chiapas. I think what's happening in Chiapas (and Rojava... for real read A Small Key) is in insanely fascinating moment of seeing intellectual leftist ideology being put into place in the real world.
    [​IMG]

Can I ask why? I feel like, for me, reading information is the best way to process it. Also those books sound good, what do you dig about them?

tonni likes this.
  17. AgonyandIrony Gold Belt

I noticed it kind of had a self help vibe. From what I read it just seemed sort of meandering and vague. I think it's odd he became the sort of "alt right uncle" Perhaps he leaves too much room for interpretation? I did very much enjoy the conversation with Brand though.

As to John Brown. What he did was insane at the time, it's insane now to even think about. Here's a quote of him I adore.
    "Brown was more a man of the Old Testament than the New, a prophet and avenger, a Joshua rather than a Jesus." He straight up murdered slavery supporters and free slaves escape to freedom. Because he felt that was his duty and that slavery was/is evil. The Bloody Kansas stuff? holy shit. They pro slavery forces there said they would make the waters run red with the abolitionists. Likely all talk right? John Brown basically said "Oh word?" snuck off in the night with his homies and killed them with swords. His final words are some of the most important words ever uttered in American history and I'll be honest, I'm a straight up sucker for a man saying cool shit before he dies.
    "On December 2, 1859, the morning of his execution, Brown handed his final letter to one of his guards. It read, “I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land will never be purged away but with blood."

Bro he was right, that shit kicked off the civil war. If you're going to dive into the Civil War I can't speak enough about how you should read this book. Bro check out the famous painting "The Last Moments of John Brown" from 1882.
    [​IMG]

Shit I might start a new project titled American Martyrs lol.

Cuzcatlan and bootsy like this.
  18. Ultra O’Dia Brown Belt

[​IMG]

not much to add to this. i used to read 50-100 books a year, but just havent been able to get into that mode of devoting my cares and thoughts to one person’s take on the world for the last 20 years or more.

Ive certainly read good ones here and there (jekyll and hyde was good, if only i didnt know the twist in advance) but these two stand the test of Time. The first i read at 19, again at 33ish, i dont know if i can take reading it again. Maybe when i am on my deathbed. hurts too much.

AgonyandIrony likes this.
  19. Yehudim Orange Belt

[​IMG]

Anyone who repeats the line about “The CCP lifting millions out of poverty” needs to read this

Kate Zhou witnessed the Cultural Revolution first hand and provides a story more in line with reality including how CCP officials were very wary of implementing market policies and only begrudgingly institutionalized it because it was so effective and because the CCP was so badly damaged by the Cultural Revolution

Cuzcatlan, ElKarlo and AgonyandIrony like this.
  20. Ultra O’Dia Brown Belt

[​IMG] ok, thats the second one. I will never become fully connected to internet intellect.

AgonyandIrony likes this.