Johoho and a bottle of iron

I've recently had some luck getting my bench moving again through directed upper back work and weighted dips.

+1 i did weighted dips, BORs, and a bunch of pullups/chinups (for the gunzors!). Goodluck with your training.

Btw, i have the same question as JStorm... What is dragonboat training?

+1 i did weighted dips, BORs, and a bunch of pullups/chinups (for the gunzors!). Goodluck with your training.

Btw, i have the same question as JStorm... What is dragonboat training?

Easiest way to describe it is rowing crew but on one side of the boat instead of two. The workout under dragonboat training is whats the coach decides to put us through. Except for Sundays (Fundays!), where we actually row with paddles.

For the paddle work, we do timed pyramids with varying intensities, ie 50% at 5 mins, 80%at 2mins, 90% at 1 min, 100% for 10 strokes, etc.

For the dryland practices, its usually a lot of cardio related work and circuits with emphasis on abs and hip flexions. As of now though, its just a lot of general strength type stuff for the newbies. Anyways,.... on to today's workout :icon_twis

Nov 12 2010-----BE AMAZED WHATUOPPPPPPPPPPP---BW@140
--------------------------
Front Squat:
-barx10, 135 2x3
-Just learning the front squat. I'll start alternating back/front squats when my Smolov's for back squats is done.

SOHP:
- barx10,65x5, 85x5, 95 5x5
- Struggled a bit on the first and last set, but good form!

Deadlifts:icon_twis
- 135x5, 205x3, 225x3, 245x1, 275x0, 275x1(+15 PR!),295 2x0 280x1(+20 PR)
- My form is really coming together. WHATUPPPP 2x bodyweight deadlifts boomshakalaka!! This was reallly unexpected. I just felt like it. After I failed the 275 the first time, I knew I could pull it for some reason.
-the 295's wouldn't budge at all though :icon_sad:
Cleans:
-barx10, 55x5, 75 5x5
-I'll alternate this with snatches, and snatch at 10 pounds lower than cleans, but follow the same 5x5 method.

Misc:
-Some chins/pulls/shoulder cuff rotators, shoulder lifts,

Notes:
Well on my way to break 300 (get 3 plates) for deads by the end of this year! woo!
-Should I be changing the routines this much? I know I know, muscle confusion and all :icon_lol: Any thoughts?
---------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 12 2010
----------------------
Ju jitsu practice: 2 hours

-practiced side control escapes(with headlock)
-practiced side control escapes, bridge to turtle

-mount escapes
-elevator and just bridging.

rolled for 4x5 rounds:

First one was against a veteran, this guy is great to roll with, he pushes my skills and not my strength. He got mount but I immediately got it reversed, and I got stuck in his closed guard, but not for lack of trying to get past! I did stack a couple of times, but his weight control was very precise and my stack needs more work.

Second one was against a go-hard. Wasn't much fun as we started standing, and then he went full intensity. I got caught up in his pace, rookie mistake! he ended up controlling most of the match, my strength was just giving out from my workout earlier.

Third one was against a grinder(my style)! he had about 40 pounds on me. He kept trying to do a gi-choke (which I dislike very much) however, I had learned my lesson from one of the blue belts about the difference in gi and nogi, on my first day there. defended it well, but my strength was pretty much giving out. he tried to stack one side which I defended and got him into a triangle attempt. Before I could twist my hips and lock it in though, he literally picked me up and gently put me down on my upper back.then he stacked me and got full mount. Rest of the round was just me defending keylocks, gi chokes and arm bars. Workout days and ju jitsu days are bloody hard.

Fourth one was a complete newbie, probably had about 50-60 pounds on me. Went for a judo armbar from side control but he defended it so I just chilled there to sap away his arm strength. from there I saw the opening for an arm triangle and did a quick switch on the sides and got it. Gi choked him on my second one from mount. Decided to play guard and triangled him as I broke his position. I still had trouble with the triangle, I gotta remember to grab the arm and get it across before locking down the head./him in.

Notes:
I felt I could have done so much better, but that comes with time. I actually like ju jitsu after my workouts; its harder, and makes me concentrate on using something other than strength(though I had no strength left to freaking bridge!). Also My gi smells like chocolate souffle for some reason.
-----------------------------------

Nov 13 2010
------------------------
Jujitsuuuuuuuuuuuu: 3 hours

Head lock escapes to tripod keylock or walkover to side control

Rear mount escape: butt scootcher downwards when perosn doesn't have over/under hooks in, ends up turtling a leg then you log roll to side mount or switch head position and drive to side mount.

Side mount escapes, did drills where you had to escape side mount and or prevent the other person from escaping.
Had a problem with one of the bigger guys on top of me, he had his elbow and knee under my hips and I couldnt roll onto my side. In fact I have a problem with the bigger guys as they are able to flatten me out. WHAT DO I DO?

3..10 minute rounds? of 50% grappling. Not sure exactly how long but goddamn those were long friggin rounds.

Round one: Rolled with my fav person, shes awesome. A little bit more skilled than me so we feed off each other. Back and forth battle, she stacked me and got into mount, I managed to get onto my side but she defended the guard and got me into side mount. from there we both ended up in kneeling, and it was a nice rolling back and forth session .

Round two Against a somewhat newer guy, hes been going for a couple of months. He definitely went at over 50% intensity, and wore himself out at my half guard, literally for like 5 minutes, I was almost ready to give in too. He played it too hard and tried to go for an armbar attempt which let me stack him and get side mount, where I tried for the judo arm lock, setting up for a gi choke that freed his arm to get into an arm triangle =D

Round 3 Against a newbie girl, I say nothing, it was bad for me, I should have rolled against a higher skilled opponent, but I wussed out and decided to take it easy.

Jujitsu-MMA
Pads 3x2 minute rounds
-I have to learn how to relax my shoulders when throwing, its really sapping my stamina because I tighten up way too much.
Entries to clinches from opponents hooks/jabs.
Finding your range.

Notes: Good session, I liked it more than friday's go-hards. Sore, but manageable, got lots of sleep 5am-2pm.. Got work at the bar tonight too, lets hope theres noone too rowdy.

---------------------------------------------------

Nov 14 2010
---------------
Dragonboat practice; 2 hours

Did a bunch of rowing drills, Gotta work on relaxing my shoulders, my striking coach said the same thing, I tend to bunch my shoulders up and it saps away my speed and flexibility.

Rowed pyramids, followed by some synchronization drills.
Notes: Went to all you can eat afterwards with the team. Then I went to the bar-staff jam. that is why I am posting now. I am also going to gym now. RAWR>
----------------------------

Nov 15 2010
----------------------
Front Squat: barx10, 95x5, 135 2x3
-keeps rolling off my shoulders!

Squat: 135 x3, 185x1, 205x2, 225x1
-I felt like it, sue me. *I can definitely hit a way higher max now, the 225 felt easy.

SOHP: barx10, 75x5, 100 4x5
- Arms just died last set, will redo next time I SOHP.

Deadlifts: 135x5, 185x5, 225x1, 255 2x1
-rawr

Notes: Did this on like 3 hours of sleep, still half drunk sobered up halfway through the workout though.
----------------------

Nov 17 2010
---------------------
Front Squat: barx10, 95x5, 135x3
-Warm up =)

Deadlifts: 135x5, 185x3, 225x3, 275x1, 295x1(+15 PR), 315x0
- I really need to start taping this! Again, unplanned deadlift.. it calls me! I actually don't believe that I got these gains either, if not for my buddy watching me!
-The 315 strained my mid-upper back I think. 3 plates is so alluring!

Bench Press: barx10, 115 5x5
-working myself back up as per stronglifts deload

Dumbell Rows: 55x5, 80 2x5, 95 2x1

Cleans: bar 2x10, 80 5x5
-gotta work on form a lil more. Great for forearms.

Skipped rope for a bit, like 10 mins?

Notes:
Nope, Got nothing to say, good workout. My bicep is hurting though. Must be the cleans.
SOHP and light weight day on friday, I'm thinking front squat, SOHP, and cleans.
Also, just realized I have 325 more pounds to spread between my 3 lifts to hit 1k.
------------------------------------------

Nov 18 2010Jujitsu
--------------------------
2 hours jujitsu

Warmed up with around 5-8 mins skipping, light jogging, and dynamic hip stretching.

Take down circle:
-1 person on either side of the circle(total of 2) and one in the middle. The guy in the middle tries to take down one of the two, then turns around and takes down the other one. As fast as possible, for 6 take downs in total (3 on each person).

-Drill is at about 50-60%.
-light guillotines if possible.
-closed guard is a loss, half or pass guard is a pass.

One on Ones take down/take down defense
-Same as above, except we partnered up instead and it was take downs and take down defense all at once.
-Slightly higher intensity, drill is at 60-70%

Omaplata
-Worked on correcting our omaplata and going through its basic hip motions and running through it.

Omaplata Sweep to arm bar
-If the opponent refuses to flatten out you can jut your hip into him and hook under his leg to roll him over, then log roll into an arm bar attempt.
-little too advanced for me, I will stick with hooking the leg though, as that prevents him from rolling out of the omaplata.

Arm bar from Guard flow to omaplata
-basically, you grab the opposite arm in the arm bar sweep attempt and that sets up the omaplata.

Arm bar Flow drill
Hook leg, swing leg over as hip goes up, release do the other side. Rinse and repeat.

Notes:
During the take down drills the coach said I needed to relax again as I was tightening up and losing flexibility and speed. Also need to find my range and not telegraph/go in blindly so much.
-I keep getting caught in guillotine, gotta keep correct head position and not blindly dive in.
-my singles ends up with me turtling as they put their weight on me, need to work on quickly taking them down and avoiding that.

-Thats all folks! See ya tommorrow!
--------------------------------

Nov 19 2010
----------------------
Front squat: barx10, 95x5, 135x5

Squat: 185x5, 225 2x1

SOHP: barx10, 75x5, 100 1x4
- hard fail

Shoulder shrugs: 135x5, 225 4x3, 295 2x3
-trying to improve grip strength.

Deadlifts: 225x5

Pullups: BW+45 x3(+2rep PR), BW+55 x1(+ 10PR)

Notes:

Bad workout I think I might have torn something in my left elbow. Definitely not going to BJJ today. Also taking then rest of next week off S&C so Ill be in shape to test my 1rm for Squats, providing my arm feels like it's in working shape.
Gods sake let's hope so.
--------------------------------------------

Nov 20 Last Smolov Rest Week
----------------------
Jujitsu 3 hours

-I only did the warm ups which was passing guard and stand ups. Warmed up with some MT shadow boxing.

-sat out the rest due to my left arm
Notes:
-Something definitely went wrong with my left arm. I can move it and what not, but earlier on today, it felt like someone had my left arm in a permanent arm bar.

-RICEd it and put it into a makeshift sling and popped some ibuprofen, went to work at the bar.

-going to get it checked out on Monday, lets hope its nothing serious. I think I tore something on the Wed gym session, most likely with the deadlifts.

-Even if I did tear my bicep, I should still be able to squat though, so I'll continue to post my Smolov Squats and just not workout anything else.
-----------------------------------------------

Nov27 2010
--------------------
Yea I took a week easydue to my left elbow. I def strained something there, no deadlifts till I get the ok from the doc. Also no sohp. Everything else should be fine though.

Jujitsu: 2 hours

Great relaxed easy session. Triangle passes and defense, lots of drills. Triangle to arm bar, elevator sweep to escape mount drill, scissor sweep to mount to armbar to armbar stack defense.

3x5 mins rolling, nice and relaxed, got people that didn't go 100% for a 50% exercise. Definitely worked on a lot more technique today.

My left elbow frigging hurt after practice, sign that I should rest more. Prob gunna eat, sleep, then wake up to work at the bar =[ let's hope there's no fights tonight.
Johohohoho out!
------------------------

Nov 30 2010 BW@137~138
--------------------
Squats: barx10, 95x5, 135x3, 185x3, 225x1, 245x0, 245x0, 240x0, 235x0
- I think the fails made me fail the lighter weights, no max change, though the 225 was easy. I should have warmed up slower.

Deadlifts: 135x5, 185x3, 225x3, 275x1, 315x0, 315x0, 315x0, 295x1, 225x1
- I was a stubborn sono***un the 275 was ridiculously hard, don't even know why I attempted the 315, nevermind trying 3 times. The 295 nearly killed me.
Second try on the 315 I lifted to my shins then promptly failed it.

Pullups: BW:5, BW+35x3, BW+50x1, BW+60x1(+5 Pr), BW+75x0
- almost had the 75. Someone was using the 70's for Kroc rows. I'm def sure I can do 75x1

Notes: I don't remember failing so many sets at the gym before, ever. I still have to test my squat max and start the intense microcycle of smolovs.

----------------------

Failing a lift on dead pretty much the death of the rest of your work out its so draining. I can see getting a bad break and setting it down right then but two or three hard pulls would zap me completely, listen to your body expectionally when your mixing so much on your plate along with some nagging injuries. Your body told you no on the 275....

not that I haven't done the exact same thing

I think it's your squat fails that made you weaker on deadlifts. I don't actually get drained on deadlifts-the squat is the weak point for me. I failed 305 DL couple of times yesterday, but on the third time some girls walking around motivated me and I got it.(I'm not sure they've even seen me do it, but I have heard audience, imaginary or real, improves your max effort a bit) Your pullups are damn strong!

Nov 2 2010 forgot to post!
---------------------

Front Squat: barx10, 95x5, 135x3, 155x3

-going to use these as warm ups to my back squats. Adding 5 pounds a workout and an extra workset up to it every 10 pounds; 135x3,145x3,155x3. etc.

Backsquat: 185x3, 205x3, 225x1, 225x0

-Yea, I'm just going to use 225 for my smolov base for when starting the intense microcycle.
-the second 225 was when I tried to do a 225x2, but couldn't get out of the hole.
-I'll be honest, my 1rm for squats was with shit form before, my form on these squats now feel so much stronger, I'm going completely all the way down then back up, instead of stopping at parallel like before.

Deadlifts: 225x5
-going to add 5 pounds/workout and do 1x5's.

Conditioning
Skipped rope: 1/2 hour breaks on and off.
-starting to work on my conditioning again, my dragonboat dryland coach has told me that my conditioning has fallen a bit, and I also need to work on my muscle endurance. (High volume mid-level weights)

@MIDMO
yea my body was saying no.. but my mind was saying yea man, you can pull one more off! In the end got that 295! though you are completely right, I shouldn't have done that. At my chiropractor session today, the doc just shook his head.

@observer

Yea, I feel the same way. Squats drain me, DL's are an afterthought(I'm going to get flamed). I won't be testing my 1rm for a while again, so it should be fine for having squat sets and DL's on the same day, as I rotate DL days.

Haha, I hit that 295 just ecause there was a cute chick from my club asking me about DL's, pulled that off then showed her how to do DL's.

About my Pullups, I think its wierd. I can't do 20 BW pullups, but I can pull that kind of weight, without kips. My benching numbers should be stronger too =/
---------------------------

Random note: Just ordered Joel jamieson's Explosive powaaaaaaaaaaa dvd
I'm super excited, can you tell?

I now realize I have no more money for groceries next week. Liquid protein diet+peanut butter+nutella+ bread +multivits. YAY STUDENT BUDGET!!

Nov 4 2010
-------------------------------
Jujitsu 3 hours

Side guard to mount
Side guard escape
Side guard to mount

drills: 35 mins

rolled for the rest of the hour.

Skipping rope for 1/2 hour

Some shadow boxing.
----------------------------------------

Dec 5 2010
-------------------------
Dragonboat practice: 1.5 hours

Synchro drills,
Time Pyramids
300 BW squats
More Synchro drills
---------------------------------------

Dec 13/2010 its a KLGFSDLKJSDHFLJDSF day. (BW@135)
---------------------------------------------
Front Squat: Barx10, 95x5, 135x5, 185x3(+30 PR)
Squat: 205x3, 225x2(+1rep PR)

Deadlifts:135x10, 185x5, 225x3, 275x1, 295x1(easy pull), 315x1(grip slipped on left hand, but easy pull),325x0(Bar didnt even budge), 315x1(+20 PR, did it twice too!), 225x5

Some form work on Clean&Jerk

Pullups: BWx5, BW+55x1, BW+65 2x1, BW+75 x0, BW+55x3

Notes:LONG FUCKING RANG OF EMO-NESS AHEAD: Was feeling fustrated, cooped up, just ANGRY FUCKING EMO in general. Shits been tough. Sore throat, cough w/e. Doing decent academic wise, I have to work this christmas. just i don't even fucking know. So fucking fed up with everything. Whats the fucking point? Can I even do this? What the fuck does it all lead to? I don't know. Can you seriously dedicate yourself to this? Can you make it? Can you fucking persevere? I can, I will, its just so bloody damn hard to do, it feels like I'm just wasting my life away, FUCK.

Is school really worth it? Working two jobs for it? Am I too much of a pussy to drop out and pursue MMA?

All of these questions just made me so fucking angry, fustrated, sad, excited at the same time. Couldn't concentrate enough to study, too much excess energy. Screamo music on(Alexisonfire) and decided to hit the gym.

I should not have been able to hit any of those numbers. holy fuck. I had tunnel vision the entire time, even during warm up sets, I swear people were avoiding me because I looked like I was going to murder them. Someone asked if I was on roids, I just looked at him and he just kinda backed away.
Yea, woot. 315. aiming for higher number now, lets say 365.
I gotta finish the intense cycle of Smolovs for my squats.
Still ignoring bench press, gotta work on that.
OHP as well.

Adding in overhead squats.
----------------------------------

Nice 3 plates deadlift! God job. I know you're not supposed to do deadlifts while on smolov, but it's good that you still made progress.

Back