Johny Hendricks wouldn't mind if Georges St-Pierre retired

I'm not going to make the "tapped" argument, because it is dumb. But as far as "knowing" when someone is going to tap, I have to ask if you have ever practiced BJJ? Yes, if a sub is in GOOD, you know you can hold on until they tap or nap. But don't kid yourself in thinking that people have subbed others when they thought the sub wasn't deep enough. It's hard to tell. You are asking why GSP would let it go if it was in deep. Clearly, it was not, and he let go about the same time as the tap, not clearly before. But many fighters HAVE tapped when it WASN'T in deep. The question you need to be asking is "What in the hell was Johny doing?"

Again, not making that argument that he did, but don't act like there is compelling evidence he did or didn't.

His arm shook. There was no panic to it, there was no "shit i'm about to go out" look..he literally, and quite calmly I might add, repositioned his arm....now maaaaybe he was trying to make sure the ref could see him tap? I don't think so, but that's about the only argument I could make FOR Hendricks tapping.

An arm wiggle is really the only evidence anyone has at saying he was tapping. IF he was tapping, that's the weakest "oh I just don't feel like fighting anymore tonight" tap ever. I just can't see it.

The question should be why did Hendricks tap when even GSP didn't think he had the choke? Because there is no denying the tap, it happened on video.

No. It didn't. His arm shakes. That is literally it. Because his hand may come in contact with GSP's leg, doesn't mean he was tapping.

So many Sherdoggers don't understand the scoring criteria or how to apply it correctly.

Damage does count.

Takedowns only count if the round is more affected by grappling than striking.

I feel most people have never actually read the rules.

http://herbdean.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/ABC_unified_rules_of_MMA_study_guide.pdf

"If a round is affected more by striking, then striking will be weighed more heavily. If a round is affected more by grappling than grappling will be weighed more heavily"

"Heavier strikes that have a visible impact on the opponent will be given more weight than the number of strikes landed. "

I found the judges scoring GSP 1,3,5 odd, but with all the split decisions Hendricks should have lost, giving him only 2 & 4 makes it even

You are right. The pic of GSP wasn't 1 week after the fight. It was, at a MAXIMUM 4 days (167 was Nov 16, pic showed up everywhere on the 20th).
http://www.mmamania.com/2013/11/20/5126474/ufc-167-pic-georges-st-pierre-vacation-forget-rumors-happy-well-mma

The Hendricks picture was 7 days, 3/17 to 3/24

And yes, it is about the damage. You want to post a sherdog poll as verification of who won the fight? Sherdog, as a MAJORITY populous, I feel is a bit lacking. But the point is, every single Hendricks fan and GSP hater in both of those polls have probably posted a pic of GSPs face, and saying Hendricks did more damage. We all know it came down to Rd 1, and I haven't heard a single compelling argument from a Hendricks fan that makes sense with giving him the round definitively. The poll that you posted might as well have been "Do you think Hendricks kicked GSPs arse" for the layman sherdoggers. And even I would have voted yes.

It felt like those rumors were going longer before GSP addressed them. But still, the zoom in the photo is still too far to make any fair comparison and irrelevant really because we have a clear photo of each right after the fight. I do agree with you though that some fighters bruise easier than others. & just like some fighters bruise easier than others, some fighters can heal quicker than others, especially if they are getting the right kind of treatment for their wounds. Ice can be the difference between swelling lasting a week or a few days. & the reason why I say you can't simply rely on how their faces look after a fight is because some damage can only be seen during the fight. A lot of times when fighters rock their opponent, it doesn't leave a scratch on their exterior, but it can still be the most damage done. TJ Dillashaw VS Barao is a good example. TJ rocked Barao early, didn't have Barao face bleeding with that first knockdown but it was probably the most significant damage done because Barao was more likely concussed from that point on.

Sherdog, just like any other poll will be lacking in some aspect, it is a poll after all. But it isn't just Sherdog's poll, the majority of polls, literally almost every poll asking who won between GSP VS Hendricks is in favor of Hendricks. This against the one of the most beloved fighters in MMA, GSP.

The majority of fighters who reacted on twitter thought Hendricks was robbed.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/11/17/5113052/ufc-167-in-tweets-pros-score-controversial-georges-st-pierre-vs-johny
http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/twitter-reacts-to-georges-st-pierres-controversial-ufc-167-title-defense

The Majority MMA Media scored it for Hendricks as well.
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/mma-media-scoring-gsp-vs-hendricks-2608633/

& I posted the source of my original poll. The title of that thread was simply
"Who do you think won GSP VS Hendricks and how did you score it?"
Either way, there are still more GSP fans than there are Hendricks fans.

No. It didn't. His arm shakes. That is literally it. Because his hand may come in contact with GSP's leg, doesn't mean he was tapping.

No it means he accidentally tapped. Whether he did it on purpose or not is irrelevant because it did happen. Johnnys lucky GSP didn't hold on for a second longer and the ref didnt stopped the fight.

It felt like those rumors were going longer before GSP addressed them. But still, the zoom in the photo is still too far to make any fair comparison and irrelevant really because we have a clear photo of each right after the fight. I do agree with you though that some fighters bruise easier than others. & just like some fighters bruise easier than others, some fighters can heal quicker than others, especially if they are getting the right kind of treatment for their wounds. Ice can be the difference between swelling lasting a week or a few days. & the reason why I say you can't simply rely on how their faces look after a fight is because some damage can only be seen during the fight. A lot of times when fighters rock their opponent, it doesn't leave a scratch on their exterior, but it can still be the most damage done. TJ Dillashaw VS Barao is a good example. TJ rocked Barao early, didn't have Barao face bleeding with that first knockdown but it was probably the most significant damage done because Barao was more likely concussed from that point on.

Sherdog, just like any other poll will be lacking in some aspect, it is a poll after all. But it isn't just Sherdog's poll, the majority of polls, literally almost every poll asking who won between GSP VS Hendricks is in favor of Hendricks. This against the one of the most beloved fighters in MMA, GSP.

The majority of fighters who reacted on twitter thought Hendricks was robbed.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/11/17/5113052/ufc-167-in-tweets-pros-score-controversial-georges-st-pierre-vs-johny
http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/twitter-reacts-to-georges-st-pierres-controversial-ufc-167-title-defense

The Majority MMA Media scored it for Hendricks as well.
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/mma-media-scoring-gsp-vs-hendricks-2608633/

& I posted the source of my original poll. The title of that thread was simply
"Who do you think won GSP VS Hendricks and how did you score it?"
Either way, there are still more GSP fans than there are Hendricks fans.

Those stats are largely effected by Rogans commentary. I forget where I saw a poll that was in GSPs favor after Rogan was exposed for his bias.

There is no logical arguments to be had with Hendricks fans. We all saw the first round, and all agree that it was the deciding factor. If you need proof of how skewed Sherdog is, just read the results/play by play for round 1. They make it sound like Hendricks dominated GSP in that round....
Referee Mario Yamasaki is the third man in the cage for tonight’s main event, with judges Sal D’Amato, Glenn Trowbridge and Tony Weeks scoring at cageside. St. Pierre ducks a punch and takes down Hendricks in the center of the cage in the first 15 seconds, then tries for a quick guillotine. Hendricks powers back to his feet and the wrestlers clinch with over-unders before Hendricks pushes the champion against the cage. They trade knees inside before being broken up by ref Yamasaki. Hendricks clips the shooting GSP with an uppercut, then keeps the punches coming as St. Pierre digs for a takedown against the fence. Hendricks switches to elbows, forcing St. Pierre to give up the shot. When the champion raises his head, he’s cut above the right eye from Hendrick’s hard elbow strikes. They separate and Hendricks catches St. Pierre shooting in again, this time with a step-in knee. The fighters clinch up and it’s the challenger scoring with knees inside. Hendricks slips a straight left, counters St. Pierre with a left hand and a leg kick.

It is a joke, in my opinion. I, admittedly, am a huge GSP fan. But I will always stick by the fact that Hendricks kicked GSP's arse, but under the scoring system as it is today, GSP won the first, and correspondingly, the fight.

Not to mention than many believed Hendricks tapped to the guillotine.......
johny-hendricks-ufc-167-tap.gif

Not saying I do too, but I can see both sides. But, considering GSP had the slight edge in significant strikes, and had a sub attempt, I give it to him. And yes, if it is close, you have to BEAT the champ to be the champ. That's why if the fight is a draw, the belt leaves with who it came with.

Not a tap man. Johnny was pushing GSP's leg with his elbow and his arm makes a dangling motion. Not only that, but the motion occurs after GSP released him. But if that still isn't enough Firas Zahabi has even come out to say it wasn't a tap.

Last edited:
Those stats are largely effected by Rogans commentary. I forget where I saw a poll that was in GSPs favor after Rogan was exposed for his bias.

Do you believe the MMA media and fighter reactions were also swayed by Joe's commentary? I'd like to see this poll you speak of.

No it means he accidentally tapped. Whether he did it on purpose or not is irrelevant because it did happen. Johnnys lucky GSP didn't hold on for a second longer and the ref didnt stopped the fight.

There is no such thing as an accidental tap. I'm on my ipad so I can stop the gif frame by frame. His arm clearly fidgets at the exact time GSP lets go, not before. In fact it looks like GSP lets go before Hendricks' hand even touches his leg. No controversy.

Edit: Zooming in I can see that Hendricks' hand never even touches GSP's leg. He is pushing the leg with his forearm as the previous poster says. He's also elevating GSP's right leg with his own legs, probably the leverage shift that makes GSP release in the first place.

Last edited:
Bearded one knows GSP decisions him again.

He knows that if it goes to the judges they will give GSP the edge based on his name (kind of like Forrest was usually given the edge)

Hendricks won that fight but it is hard to decision the most popular MMA fighter in a fight where judges can make even a small case for GSP winning.

Back