Johny Hendricks considered retirement following brutal UFC 181 weight cut

Fighter123

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Johny Hendricks considered retirement after his difficult weight cut for UFC 181.

"It was either [change my weight-cutting approach] or retire," Hendricks said in a recent interview. "That's how bad that weight cut was."

"It sucks because the last couple fights have been where it's been questionable. And it's been half my fault. I can't do that weight cut. I can't balloon up to 218 and think that [Mike] Dolce can get me down to weight. That's where I'm taking the responsibility. I'm walking around at 195, and I'm getting my muscle mass back, I'm looking to get my body weight back. ... It will also be better for me when I fight, because I'll have my power back, my steam, and you feel like you're hitting hard again. That makes me happy. It will help with my wrestling or anything.

"Let's just say [those big weight cuts] won't ever happen again."

Your thoughts?

I'm amazed it took so long for him to figure out the obvious. he is a professional fighter ffs.

218? Jesus Christ. That's Rumble territory.

who woulda thought ballooning up to 210+ lbs in between fights for a WW was a bad idea

You should not ever balloon up, it's counterproductive and disgusting. Just look at Matt Serra pre-GSP and nowadays.

Sounds like its more than "half" his fault....

Dude needs to take his weight serious or else he's donskie....

Cutting a lot of weight is hard?! Who would have thought.. weight loss has always been so simple for people

He didn't say "You know what I mean?" once in that interview. I have a hard time believing the legitimacy of the source.

He gets FAT in between fights. Glad to see he is finally changing his diet/routine to walk around much leaner. He aint a big guy at all...the dude is what 5'8 with a normal (not small, but not huge either) frame. He better stick to a healthier style as he is already small/short for today's 170. If he fights at 185 against guys like Weidman, Rockhold, Jacare, Machida, Mousassi, etc. he will look like a kid.

If he walks around 218 with his natural size (height and frame) and still at managed to fight at 170... DC who walks round 230 or (after drop to LHW) can definitely make 185 WITH A CHANGE OF CLEAN DIET to lose the excessive fat (NOT a straight cut).

He didn't say "You know what I mean?" once in that interview. I have a hard time believing the legitimacy of the source.

Also not enough dip spit pauses.

I forget. Who is the WW champ right now?

Hendricks or Lawler?

Johny Hendricks considered retirement after his difficult weight cut for UFC 181.

"It was either [change my weight-cutting approach] or retire," Hendricks said in a recent interview. "That's how bad that weight cut was."

"It sucks because the last couple fights have been where it's been questionable. And it's been half my fault. I can't do that weight cut. I can't balloon up to 218 and think that [Mike] Dolce can get me down to weight. That's where I'm taking the responsibility. I'm walking around at 195, and I'm getting my muscle mass back, I'm looking to get my body weight back. ... It will also be better for me when I fight, because I'll have my power back, my steam, and you feel like you're hitting hard again. That makes me happy. It will help with my wrestling or anything.

"Let's just say [those big weight cuts] won't ever happen again."

Your thoughts?

Bloody hell nearly 50 pounds weight cut.

218? Two?
Two?.....
...... Two oooooooo HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN?

i knew he ballooned but Jesus how can you be so irresponsible as the champ.?

Got to appreciate GSP here. Man was always in fighting shape ��

It comes off as an excuse, but I'm sure he's telling the truth. I really don't think it'll impact his performance in the cage much, but an easier cut will be better for his well-being.

Or man up and fight at mw

He should retire his complaints about his own faults and just focus on fighting.

Cutting a lot of weight is hard?! Who would have thought.. weight loss has always been so simple for people

Well if he cuts water weight from about 190 to 170 that's about 10% body weight and about right. That means he gets about 25 pounds of fat too much. 25 pounds is not that big of a deal for an athlete but yea, he makes himself work harder than he has to.

Back