John Malkovich, among the greats? Yay or nay?

Very good, but not Elite. You can't compare him to the true heavyweights in their prime: DeNiro, Pacino, McKellen, Kingsley, Nickolson etc. Although a lot of these guys I've mentioned are way past their best and making shit movies just for the pay cheque.

I put Malkovich in the same category as James Woods or Gary Sinise. Underrated, kinda under-used actors who occasionally come in & knock a role out of the park.

Favorite Malky roles have to be his amazing villain in In The Line Of Fire, and his charismatic lech in Dangerous Liaisons.

It was hard watching Valmont having seen Malkovich in Dangerous Liaisons.

I love me some Malkovich

Dangerous Liasons is my fav film of his. One of my fav films in general

B0012_DW6_W4_Dangerous_Liaisons_UXWB1._RI_SX940.jpg

Brilliant film.

Also

d8c478d5679445d2d0d16251cfe75c5d.jpg

Always loved this dude, just think he has a great screen presence. Saw Mile 22 today, and he's in it, not bad but he does have some good stuff on his resume

Anyone else a fan? If a fan, what do you consider his best performances?

giphy.gif

He has done some great work in his career. No doubt.

Malkovich is very talented. He's been in some great movies. He was great in Dangerous Liasons, as were Uma Thurman's tits.

He was great is Shadows of the Vampire. That movie is hilarious!

Being John Malkovich is a good watch.

He's been a bright spot, if not THE bright spot in everything that I have seen him in.

I put Malkovich in the same category as James Woods or Gary Sinise. Underrated, kinda under-used actors who occasionally come in & knock a role out of the park.

Favorite Malky roles have to be his amazing villain in In The Line Of Fire, and his charismatic lech in Dangerous Liaisons.

Great comparisons there. I think Sinise is awesome. Have no idea why he isn't doing movies anymore. It's like he had that success with CSI New York and now is only a TV actor.

Malkovich is very good. Damn good actor who has turned in tremendous performances in varied roles. I actually think Being John Malkovich might have set him back a bit in terms of a transition in his career. After that movie, I feel almost as though he sort of became a caricature of himself in the same way that Walken (though much like Malkovich, this is not always the case even in recent years) is doing a riff on his own public perception rather than just embodying a role lately.

Malkovich is very talented. He's been in some great movies. He was great in Dangerous Liasons, as were Uma Thurman's tits.

He was great is Shadows of the Vampire. That movie is hilarious!

Being John Malkovich is a good watch.

He's been a bright spot, if not THE bright spot in everything that I have seen him in.

haha Dafoe is great in Shadow of the Vampire but nothing stands out to me like the end scene where Malkovich's Murnau goes off the deep end with his wild-eyed monologue.

It was hard watching Valmont having seen Malkovich in Dangerous Liaisons.

Yeah, unfortunately I saw them in that order too. Valmont isn’t a bad movie or anything, and Colin Firth is good, but it’s like seeing Jimi Hendrix open up for Coldplay or something. Good luck following that one, kids. Malkovich’s Valmont is literally a fucking tour de force.

Great comparisons there. I think Sinise is awesome. Have no idea why he isn't doing movies anymore. It's like he had that success with CSI New York and now is only a TV actor.

Sinise is so fucking good. I recently showed Ransom to someone who had never seen it, that film holds up great. Sinise is such an amazing villain in it, he brings a metric fuckton of dramatic weight to that role, Jimmy Shaker feels so real, he’s terrifying.

Sinise opened his own theater / acting company in NYC with his money, seems to love the stage more than the screen. And does a bunch of charity work for troops & police on the side.

Malkovich is very good. Damn good actor who has turned in tremendous performances in varied roles. I actually think Being John Malkovich might have set him back a bit in terms of a transition in his career. After that movie, I feel almost as though he sort of became a caricature of himself in the same way that Walken (though much like Malkovich, this is not always the case even in recent years) is doing a riff on his own public perception rather than just embodying a role lately.

A decade or so ago, I was leaving a small, out-of-the-way grocery store. As I walked out, I went to hold the door for a quick second, in case someone was leaving right behind me, because I’m a hold-the-door-just-in-case kinda guy. As it happened, someone was leaving right behind me. Quick glance: hey, it’s Actual John Malkovich.

I was proud of myself after, because I didn’t bug him. But technically, I can now say that I released Cyrus The Virus into the world.

A decade or so ago, I was leaving a small, out-of-the-way grocery store. As I walked out, I went to hold the door for a quick second, in case someone was leaving right behind me, because I’m a hold-the-door-just-in-case kinda guy. As it happened, someone was leaving right behind me. Quick glance: hey, it’s Actual John Malkovich.

I was proud of myself after, because I didn’t bug him. But technically, I can now say that I released Cyrus The Virus into the world.

hahah that's awesome.

Cool enough that you spotted him and held the door for him, but I imagine he'd be a real interesting guy to speak with as well.

Sinise is so fucking good. I recently showed Ransom to someone who had never seen it, that film holds up great. Sinise is such an amazing villain in it, he brings a metric fuckton of dramatic weight to that role, Jimmy Shaker feels so real, he’s terrifying.

Sinise opened his own theater / acting company in NYC with his money, seems to love the stage more than the screen. And does a bunch of charity work for troops & police on the side.

Yeah I really respect that work he does. Every year he hosts this Fourth of July fundraising program where they raise money for veterans and they have actors do dramatic readings of letters written by actual veterans. It's quite a compelling program.

He also plays guitar in the aptly named Lieutenant Dan Band.

Guy seems like a complete standup person.

Great actor, but his Russian accent has become a sad cliche.

hahah that's awesome.

Cool enough that you spotted him and held the door for him, but I imagine he'd be a real interesting guy to speak with as well.

If it was a different setting I totally would have said something, but when a guy is literally holding his eggs, just trying to get some grubs at the store & go about his business, I don’t want to be a bother.

That's pretty cool! In interviews he always comes across as pretty soft spoken, but man can he turn on the rage in those villain scenes when he wants to

Back