1. The Breakfast Club
2. Ferris Buellers Day Off
3. Uncle Buck
4. Sixteen Candles
5. Planes Trains & Automobiles
6. Weird Science
7. She's Having A Baby
8. Curly Sue

Love both but Hughes for me. Both guys have movies I can watch over and over and I grew up with all their films so it's a really tough call.

It's a shame they never had a baby together. That kid would've been a director.

Pele Landi vs Matt Hughes is all I could read in this title.

Hughes KO'd while shooting in and got kneed in the dome :0

Landis

1. Animal House
2. Blues Brothers
3. An American Werewolf in London
4. Trading Places
5. Coming to America
6. Three Amigos!
7. Spies like Us
8. Kentucky Fried Movie

Hughes

1. The Breakfast Club
2. Ferris Buellers Day Off
3. Uncle Buck
4. Sixteen Candles
5. Planes Trains & Automobiles
6. Weird Science
7. She's Having A Baby
8. Curly Sue
Trading places and coming to America

Hughes all day long. No question. Some Kind of Wonderful is highly underrated as an 80's teen classic.

Hughes just for the breakfast club and Ferris buelers day off. Those are absolute classic movies.

I will go with Pele Landis John's. I believe you know why ;-)

They had some similar films I spose but I don't think Hughes ever showed anything close to the kind of imagination of Blues Brothers and American Werewolf, then again he didnt stage FX scenes that killed children either.

Honestly I think Hughes is arguebly the big name 80's director who's work has dated the worst.

Last edited:
I have watched the first 4 titles listed for Hughes at least 2000 times.

Hughes.

I like both equally, but more of my personal favorites are from Hughes.

Honestly I think Hughes is arguebly the big name 80's director who's work has dated the worst.

I watched Ferris Beuller for the first time in 20 years recently and was not impressed at all. Wanted to punch the smug cunt.

They had some similar films I spose but I don't think Hughes ever showed anything close to the kind of imagination of Blues Brothers and American Werewolf, then again he didnt stage FX scenes that killed children either.

True, though Ferris Beuller did kill a couple of people whilst definitely not driving drunk, wink wink.

I watched Ferris Beuller for the first time in 20 years recently and was not impressed at all. Wanted to punch the smug cunt.

Pretty much, a lot of the characters in those bratpack films just come across as far too obnoxious whilst the films expect us to love them. I could take it from John Cusack as a lot of his best stuff did kind of embrace that he was playing characters who were a bit of an arsehole, your not sposed to just love Martin Blank the way you are Ferris.

Last edited:
Had to go with Landis but it was a really difficult choice. Hughes’ films are probably more iconic from that era, but Landis’ films are closer to my sense of humor and have aged better.

Back