John Kavanagh says Conor McGregor has ‘owned up to his mistakes,’ believes he’s on a ‘good comeback

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
"I'm incredibly proud of Conor. I realise it was him individually who has made the sport so well known," Kavanagh told RTÉ 2fm's Game On.

"I get stopped by 60-year-old ladies asking me how his wrestling training is coming along. I know it was him who made it a huge sport in Ireland so I'm very, very proud of that.

"It comes with the territory. Negative headlines get more clicks than positive headlines. That's just the media game.

"He's spoken himself about his slips and his mistakes. He's had to pay for those outside of the sport. I feel we're on a good comeback story - he had a great win in January - but yeah, like most things in life you take the good with the bad, you roll with it and try to improve, learn from mistakes and get better as a human being and an athlete as you go on.

"It's a very weird rise from being an unknown guy in Dublin, doing a sport no one has heard of, to being a global superstar. Everything you say and do is analysed.

"He had to make his mistakes very publicly and visibly. I'm proud of how he's come through those things. He's owned up to his mistakes. He's trying to make himself a better person and I'm behind that.

"I'd like to think [his mistakes haven't damaged the sport]. I think people who are interested in the sport realise it's not one person."

0010cf76-614.jpg

Kavanagh has spent the last two years striving to have MMA officially recognised as a sport in this country at government level.

He admitted he's been frustrated in recent years at the perception around a sport which has exploded in popularity.

"We had to put together a huge amount of documentation between child safety, good governance, membership quotas and all of that, so we're at the stage now of just beginning the application process," he added.

"We're hopeful we'll have it done maybe in the next twelve months. Just recently France recognised MMA. They've gone underneath the boxing association. We're in the process of applying to go underneath a national governing body for all martial arts in Ireland. It's called IMAC (the Irish Martial Arts Commission).

"I'm a huge Katie Taylor fan. I feel like every time she's had a great achievement I'd hear her coaches being brought on to shows and the only conversation would be, 'what a great achievement, what an inspiration' and so on.

"Every time one of my guys had a great night or achievement... I was only ever brought on to discuss, 'well is this a real sport? Are you promoting violence?'.

"Id be like, 'I just watched Katie Taylor pound some girl's head into the canvas and they're getting high fives everywhere!'. I just wanted to have it so that kids that are interested in MMA have a recognised route through the sport.

"When Conor started to make waves we probably had about 15 MMA clubs in the country.

"As of now, we're coming up to a hundred clubs. In general you're talking about 50 to 150 members in a hundred clubs, so there is a lot of interest.

"One of the biggest things that MMA has done is, for under 18s, they've removed head contact altogether. We just train them to throw strikes to the body and the legs.

"We don't allow any head contact in competition. There is obviously the grappling element which is more akin to wrestling or judo. It's a tough sport, but it's as safe as any other sport out there."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/mma/2020/0219/1116338-conors-had-a-weird-rise-hes-owned-up-to-mistakes/

One time Conor invited me over for dinner. We had tacos.

Is he finaly gonna aknowledge clodagh and take in her as part of the McGregor family? :D

He's still a shitty person. I do like that he isnt running his mouth nearly as much. Its kind of refreshing to see him STFU for once.

The tacos were good but a little heavy on the seasoning. Conor said that's how they do it in Ireland.

Amends completed?

Well done

I always take rape allegations with a grain of salt when they're thrown at rich, famous people. I think some of these girls think they're special and they have a special connection with said famous person...then, when it's over, and he's had his fun, he kicks her out of his hotel room like the groupie she is, and she decides to try to ruin him for "being rude". Women are crazy.

The old man at the bar wasn't cool. Attacking the bus wasn't cool. Attacking the ref wasn't cool. The rape allegations...I'm not sold and I'll wait to see what the courts have to say about that before forming an opinion. Again, women are crazy. She could be after money or just trying to get revenge for him treating her like a whore.

Sounds like Conor made you some proper tacos.

Yeah. They were great, he even had different shells to choose from.

Personally I take them hard, but Conor was a soft man. Different strokes.

"I'm incredibly proud of Conor. I realise it was him individually who has made the sport so well known," Kavanagh told RTÉ 2fm's Game On.

"I get stopped by 60-year-old ladies asking me how his wrestling training is coming along. I know it was him who made it a huge sport in Ireland so I'm very, very proud of that.

"It comes with the territory. Negative headlines get more clicks than positive headlines. That's just the media game.

"He's spoken himself about his slips and his mistakes. He's had to pay for those outside of the sport. I feel we're on a good comeback story - he had a great win in January - but yeah, like most things in life you take the good with the bad, you roll with it and try to improve, learn from mistakes and get better as a human being and an athlete as you go on.

"It's a very weird rise from being an unknown guy in Dublin, doing a sport no one has heard of, to being a global superstar. Everything you say and do is analysed.

"He had to make his mistakes very publicly and visibly. I'm proud of how he's come through those things. He's owned up to his mistakes. He's trying to make himself a better person and I'm behind that.

"I'd like to think [his mistakes haven't damaged the sport]. I think people who are interested in the sport realise it's not one person."

0010cf76-614.jpg

Kavanagh has spent the last two years striving to have MMA officially recognised as a sport in this country at government level.

He admitted he's been frustrated in recent years at the perception around a sport which has exploded in popularity.

"We had to put together a huge amount of documentation between child safety, good governance, membership quotas and all of that, so we're at the stage now of just beginning the application process," he added.

"We're hopeful we'll have it done maybe in the next twelve months. Just recently France recognised MMA. They've gone underneath the boxing association. We're in the process of applying to go underneath a national governing body for all martial arts in Ireland. It's called IMAC (the Irish Martial Arts Commission).

"I'm a huge Katie Taylor fan. I feel like every time she's had a great achievement I'd hear her coaches being brought on to shows and the only conversation would be, 'what a great achievement, what an inspiration' and so on.

"Every time one of my guys had a great night or achievement... I was only ever brought on to discuss, 'well is this a real sport? Are you promoting violence?'.

"Id be like, 'I just watched Katie Taylor pound some girl's head into the canvas and they're getting high fives everywhere!'. I just wanted to have it so that kids that are interested in MMA have a recognised route through the sport.

"When Conor started to make waves we probably had about 15 MMA clubs in the country.

"As of now, we're coming up to a hundred clubs. In general you're talking about 50 to 150 members in a hundred clubs, so there is a lot of interest.

"One of the biggest things that MMA has done is, for under 18s, they've removed head contact altogether. We just train them to throw strikes to the body and the legs.

"We don't allow any head contact in competition. There is obviously the grappling element which is more akin to wrestling or judo. It's a tough sport, but it's as safe as any other sport out there."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/mma/2020/0219/1116338-conors-had-a-weird-rise-hes-owned-up-to-mistakes/
This bum still not focusing on cardio

there was no rape...it was an allegation by some groupie, that got high and drunk.
Doesn't mean he DIDNT do it , either. Allegation the proper word until we know ( or if we ever do .... if u know what I'm saying).
We'll see how Conor carries himself going forward. The whole Cerrone lead up holds no water in my book ( compared to his personal hubris we've seen in past ....and I mean that in a negative way). " for the most part", seasons change - people don't. I'm willing to give Conor benefit of doubt on " for the most part"

Stay tuned.

0010cf76-614.jpg

Thanks for posting.
Very interesting.

I always take rape allegations with a grain of salt when they're thrown at rich, famous people. I think some of these girls think they're special and they have a special connection with said famous person...then, when it's over, and he's had his fun, he kicks her out of his hotel room like the groupie she is, and she decides to try to ruin him for "being rude". Women are crazy.

The old man at the bar wasn't cool. Attacking the bus wasn't cool. Attacking the ref wasn't cool. The rape allegations...I'm not sold and I'll wait to see what the courts have to say about that before forming an opinion. Again, women are crazy. She could be after money or just trying to get revenge for him treating her like a whore.
The first woman was attacked, the police here confirmed that she had some pretty gruesome injuries, whether Conor was the one that did it is a different story though.

What he learned from the accusation is that idiots will believe anything a woman says without evidence, as long as they hate the person the woman says it about

The investigation is still ongoing and the sports star in question has form for acting a scumbag, so I will not believe he is innocent until it is over

I could equally say those that worship him would believe he was innocent, even if they caught him in the act!

Back