John Kavanagh (McGregor's coach) is a 3rd degree black belt. Has he better BJJ than Cesar?

Irrelevant because Cesar taught Shields, Diaz Bros, Melendez, and Terrel their bjj so his coaching is obviously legit as evidenced by the success of his pupils.

Kavanaugh's pupils' have what success thus far? If he hasn't been in the game long enough for his student's to achieve success grappling wise, then we should look at his success as a grappler.
Cesar is 11 years older, John already has a UFC champion as his student, let's see how many good grapplers he's got in his gym in 11 years.

I'm not arguing that John is better, the truth is none of us know who has better BJJ or who is the better MMA coach and it's a stupid argument anyway.

Ever heard of a guy named Gunnar Nelson?
1. I think he's not even a black belt under Kanagavha
2. While pure MMA math doesn't work, if you look at the fight between Maia and Shields and Maia and Gunnar, there clearly is a different level between the grappling of Cesar's best BJJ students and Kanvagah's best students, that should really be up to debate

Belts in BJJ are just as stupid as belts in boxing would be.

It just seemed like you got defensive over me asking about his credential's for some reason.

Defensive? Whatever. I think if people are going to question Kavanaughs credentials based off of Cesar Gronnings jackassery then it's fair to question his. This isn't the first time hes been a dick towards another coach. I recall him challenging Greg Jacksons credentials as well. Which is interesting when you realize that Cesar has no real professional competitive accomplishments (at least none that I know of) and he was handed a black belt by his family. I dislike Cesar and I think he is a con man who has managed to draw in a group of talented but in some cases troubled young men.

Haha youre high on connor dick. Gracie would fold him up quicker than a fat bitch in a lawn chair

This was about 5 years ago, when I was fighting, outside of Boise, ID and it was an experience.

Never rolled with him but his teaching was very good. I actually got to roll with his 60-70(bad at age guessing) year old brown belt. He was tough as nails.
Was pretty exhausting. It was like no time limit rolling for an hour. We submitted each other possibly once each in that time. I liked it though.

Sounds old school! Love it.

Defensive? Whatever. I think if people are going to question Kavanaughs credentials based off of Cesar Gronnings jackassery then it's fair to question his. This isn't the first time hes been a dick towards another coach. I recall him challenging Greg Jacksons credentials as well. Which is interesting when you realize that Cesar has no real professional competitive accomplishments (at least none that I know of) and he was handed a black belt by his family. I dislike Cesar and I think he is a con man who has managed to draw in a group of talented but in some cases troubled young men.

tumblr_mmb0oplK3w1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

Its really tough to compare BJJ guys if they don't compete. Even in the systems that do black belt trials its still pretty subjective based on what is tested because you can't test everything. If you go for a trial and it happens to be all your best moves that they're testing then you may get a belt that maybe you aren't ready for. In competition guys are tested more rigorously.

Of course, a lot of guys who have gyms tend not to compete anymore because theres a clear downside to going out there and showing your students that the guy who runs the shop down the street is better than you. After a quick google I couldn't find any evidence of either of them in competition other than some "behind closed doors" stuff.

If I had to guess, though, purely based on proximity and connection to talented BJJ players, I would say that Cesar is probably better. Iron sharpens iron and he learned from a hell of a group of people.

John > Cesar grappling. Coaching, they are probably about equal, but it's still kind of hard to to tell since John's gym is so much newer than Cesar's.

Gunnar got his black belt from Renzo Gracie, not John Kavanagh.

Lol, Gunnar is Renzo Gracie black belt, not Kavanagh.
John was his coach and did over 90% of Gunnar's instruction (along with John's instructor Matt Thornton).

The main issue was John hadn't been a black belt for 6 years when it was time for Gunnars promotion (you have to be at least a 2nd stripe BB). This was John's response to why he allowed his own student to get promoted by Renzo instead of waiting (John was fairly close to the 6 year mark, could of waited).

"It was of course a great honor to have someone like Renzo Gracie recognize his abilities and and award him his black belt. I probably have a different view of belts in BJJ than most people, losing a family member to cancer is serious…BJJ is not"

I wonder where these guys will be if they followed Enson's lead and Reevaluated/demoted themselves.

Back