John Kavanagh: Bellator have changed lives of my fighters

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Note this is on ESPN ;)

http://www.espn.com/ufc/story/_/id/...it-says-former-mcgregor-trainer-john-kavanagh

John Kavanagh says Bellator is about to revolutionize the European MMA circuit ahead of the inaugural European Fight Series.

Kavanagh praised the organization for improving how much fighters are paid and believes the European Fight Series, which kicked off in Newcastle, England, on Feb. 9 and moves on to Dublin, Ireland, on Feb. 23, will change the lives of some fighters.

The shows are just the beginning of what Bellator calls the next step in its European expansion initiative as it plans to hold events in the U.K., Ireland and western Europe on a regular basis moving forward.

"It's huge," Kavanagh told ESPN.

"Bellator overnight have changed the lives of a huge amount of my guys, financially. For me as a trainer it's huge. After all these years of having to do these European shows just enough so that the guys can fight in America and actually earn some money, now they can do it here.

"I'm very excited. It's been a great morale lift for all my guys. There's a great energy in the gym right now and I'm looking forward to this year and the coming years, making that relationship with Bellator even stronger.

"Bellator are going to be really the only show that regularly visits European cities that can give the fighters a decent payday. There are some other good European based shows, but the level of pay is so low it's more like the pros are amateurs.

"There's nobody that can make a living fighting on European shows, whereas at Bellator, they're actually being paid like regular fighters -- they can train full time and just focus on fighting, rather than having to work security on the weekends or work nine to five and train early in the morning or late at night."

While the UFC haven't been back to Dublin since October 2015, the upcoming event by Bellator marks the promotion's third visit in four years and is set to be headlined by young bantamweight James Gallagher (7-1) vs. Steven Graham (6-3).

For Gallagher, headlining an event in Dublin will be a dream come true and something he's wanted to check off the bucket list since turning pro.

On Feb. 23 he gets his chance and Kavanagh believes this could do for him what the July 2014 UFC event did for Conor McGregor.

"It's going to be a fantastic night," said Kavanagh.

"It'll be a packed arena, it's a big fight card, a lot of Irish guys on the card, so I think there'll be a really nice momentum build as the night goes on, building to a climax with Gallagher headlining against a tough American opponent, coming off a loss and get back on a win."

Gallagher is coming off his first professional loss, a first-round knockout at the hands of Ricky Bandejas last August.

He was universally praised for how he handled the defeat, facing the music head on, making appearances and talking to the media. Not bad for a 22-year-old who has been thrust into the sport's limelight very quickly.

"From a mental point of view, winning is easy," Kavanagh explained.

"As a trainer, you want to see how someone reacts to a loss, and he's been incredibly mature about it and taken away the positives that you can. He's reinvigorated himself, he's back in the gym, training hard, back with the style that got him so far and he's even improved on that and he's looking forward to showing the Irish crowd what he's all about.

Bellators focus on Europe might be their smartest move ever, hopefully it pays off for them, the fighters and the audiences there.

I had a plan to buy Cage Warriors FC and sink a bunch of money into because the western Europe market is wide open. Now I think I'll just invest in light bulbs.

definitely a few untapped markets

look at what they were able to do with Alessio Sakara

I had a plan to buy Cage Warriors FC and sink a bunch of money into because the western Europe market is wide open. Now I think I'll just invest in light bulbs.
Invest in the kind that are used to help grow marijuana

Coker changing those SBG bum lives

still bums, but at least they're now bums with money!

No wonder he is saying that after Bellator basically signed his whole gym, even guys with losing records.

Also is he exaggarating a bit, there are some european organizations like ACA or KSW, that pay decent money, too. if not even better than Bellator.

It's true Bellator did some good things (after destroying/taking over BAMMA) over there but maybe he should confine his comments to the UK/Ireland market. There are plenty of fighters in central/eastern europe living a good life from fighting for european organizations.

"There's nobody that can make a living fighting on European shows, whereas at Bellator, they're actually being paid like regular fighters -- they can train full time and just focus on fighting, rather than having to work security on the weekends or work nine to five and train early in the morning or late at night."

Funny, Will Fleury just gave an interview today where he says that he has to work as a doorman to keep the lights on. He also states that he didn't fought for 8 months because Bellator didn't offered him any fights since then.

And to be honest I still can't see how this european expansion is profitable for Bellator. There is a reason why organizations like Cage Warriors or BAMMA don't/didn't pay massive salaries.

Last edited:

Khrnf

$3 stock going to be a 1000%+ gain in a year.

And to be honest I still can't see how this european expansion is profitable for Bellator. There is a reason why organizations like Cage Warriors or BAMMA don't/didn't pay massive salaries.

Its profitable because they are using affordable talent, selling out venues making good live gate, merchandise,etc.

Bellator may be paying them better then most regional orgs but they still aren't overpaying either.This definetly could be big if it catches on let's see how it goes.

It might not be at this time
Bellator has yet to make a profit
They should in 2019 due to DAZN's $33m though

The foreign focus is an investment that hopefully pays off

James was universally praised for how he handled his loss? Lol

Bull fucking shit

Its profitable because they are using affordable talent, selling out venues making good live gate, merchandise,etc.

Bellator may be paying them better then most regional orgs but they still aren't overpaying either.This definetly could be big if it catches on let's see how it goes.

it will payoff if sky signs them to a real tv deal after this initial 1 year trial.

Back