News John Hathaway to return for Oktagon on October 15th.

A couple months ago I was watching a video on Dan Hardy's Full Reptile or Ruff House Youtube channel that was documenting Jimmy Wallhead's training camp for his Cage Warriors return, and during a visit to London Shootfighters sure enough you can see John Hathaway training. I wondered what he was up to. Cool news!

That’s a nice surprise. I had high hopes for him and was a fan. Glad he’s doing better.

Good MMA Junkie article on it here

Victory within: John Hathaway to return after eight-year hiatus (usatoday.com)

Not sure who he's fighting. I'm a big fan of John so hopefully he looks something like he used to look, can beat a couple of dudes in Oktagon and get his wish to get back in the UFC.
Opponent is not known yet but he should be fighting on OKTAGON 36 and its kinda good card even without Hathaway on - 4 UFC veterans (Veličkovič vs Leandro Silva, Mallory Martin, Jeremy Kimball) + Hathaway.

Also fights like Poppeck vs Hajdarpašic (99 kg catchweight) or Putz vs Petrasek.

https://oktagonmma.cz/event/oktagon-36-frankfurt/

Pretty random. Hope he does well. I still remember when he beat up Sanchez

Blast from the past. I had no idea he was planning on returning to mma after his illness. Props to him. I'm surprised he's still only in his mid 30's

Could see him end up on Bellator, they did have a habit of picking up brits who never fought back in the day. 'member Sassangle and Etim?

Cool. Good article. Intense medical battle. Will definitely watch that fight.

Could see him end up on Bellator, they did have a habit of picking up brits who never fought back in the day. 'member Sassangle and Etim?
He is still under UFC contract and in USADA testing pool. There is just some kind of agreement between Oktagon and UFC about Hathaway atm.

Last edited:
His still under UFC contract and in USADA testing pool. There is just some kind of agreement between Oktagon and UFC about Hathaway atm.

I think it makes sense. Jumping back into the UFC after 8 years off is too much. Get a couple of lower level opponents to see where he's at and if he's fine he can jump back in if he's not then they won't.

I think it makes sense. Jumping back into the UFC after 8 years off is too much. Get a couple of lower level opponents to see where he's at and if he's fine he can jump back in if he's not then they won't.
I also expect him to be head coach of team england in OKTAGON Challenge England vs Ireland. Also Brad Pickett vs Kavanagh is possibility.

There's a name I haven't heard in a while. I wish him the best of luck in his comeback.

He is still under UFC contract and in USADA testing pool. There is just some kind of agreement between Oktagon and UFC about Hathaway atm.
How the fuck are you still under contract 8 years after you last fought. Surely the contract must have expired

Good MMA Junkie article on it here

Victory within: John Hathaway to return after eight-year hiatus (usatoday.com)

Not sure who he's fighting. I'm a big fan of John so hopefully he looks something like he used to look, can beat a couple of dudes in Oktagon and get his wish to get back in the UFC.
I always thought he was a solid prospect. He had a nice resume going in the UFC and was even doing well against Stun Gun before taking a spinning elbow from hell. I'd love to see him active.

Hathaway was pretty good back in the day. There were talks about him becoming champ at one point. Kim's elbow dashed those hopes but I could have seen him rebounding quickly.

How the fuck are you still under contract 8 years after you last fought. Surely the contract must have expired
They probably kept re-upping. Same deal as guys like Matt Wiman and such.

Definitely. Matt Wiman showed how bad that can go

Back