John Dodson Will Be Returning From Injury Soon, Who Should He Return Against?

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
John Dodson tore his ACL awhile back and in recent interviews, told us he's going to be gearing up for a return around March/April. Question is, does he get an immediate title shot like he was supposed to get before the injury, or do they put him in a #1 contenders fight to shake off the ring rust before his potential title fight?

I don't know about you guys but I've been wanting to see Dodson/Benavidez for a long time, that would be a great fight to make but a loss for Dodson would knock him back out of title contention. I also like a potential fight with Ali Bagutinov who is coming off a title loss to Mighty Mouse. Another option would be rising contender Kyoji Horiguchi but I'm not in favor of that because it could derail Horiguchi in a division lacking many credible contenders.

What do you guys think? If Dodson doesn't get an immediate title fight upon return, who is he matched up with?

Winner of Uncle Creepy vs Lineker for a title shot

Wilson Reis is a solid tune up fight before fighting for the belt.

Dillashaw or loser of McCall vs Lineker.

Winner of Uncle Creepy vs Lineker for a title shot

The winner of Uncle Creepy and Lineker will already be deserving of a title fight. No need to make them fight again especially when FlyW is already thin as all fuck.

A fight with Kyoji Horiguchi would be fun, and could possibly be a title eliminator depending on how McCall vs Lineker plays out

A match up with Lineker would be the most intriguing - both have a lot of KO power.

Mighty Mouse wants to fight in April. Dodson wants to return in April. Sounds like a plan to me.

The winner of Lineker vs McCall can wait, or take another fight.

Honestly, Dodson vs dillashaw would be best, seeing as cruz and assunscao are unavailable and I don't care for dillashaw vs Barao 2 after barao got roflstomp'd.

but if Dillashaw MUST fight barao again I wouldn't mind dodson vs horiguchi or Dodson vs Reis

Benavidez/Camus
Dodson/Reis
Horiguchi/Formiga

Winner of Lineker/McCall gets a title shot in April. If Dodson wins his first fight back him and MM can fight late summer. You could give Kyoji a guy like Cariaso if you don't think he's ready for a top 5 guy yet.

Benavidez/Camus
Dodson/Reis
Horiguchi/Formiga

Winner of Lineker/McCall gets a title shot in April. If Dodson wins his first fight back him and MM can fight late summer. You could give Kyoji a guy like Cariaso if you don't think he's ready for a top 5 guy yet.

Someone needs to get this exact post to Sean Shelby.

Someone needs to get this exact post to Sean Shelby.

It's stupid hard to think of logical matchups for Benavidez at this point. You want to keep him far away from any prospects, but he's beaten almost everyone of note coming off a win in the division and has proved he's a few levels above guys like Dustin Ortiz.

Reis already said he wants the Benavidez fight, but I'd prefer to see him fight Dodson(If they make him take a fight) At least then you get a new contender no matter who wins.

You could conceivably give Horiguchi a title shot with a win over Cariaso considering the state of the division. Flyweight isn't exactly WW with its depth so you gotta take fresh contenders when you can.

It's stupid hard to think of logical matchups for Benavidez at this point. You want to keep him far away from any prospects, but he's beaten almost everyone of note coming off a win in the division and has proved he's a few levels above guys like Dustin Ortiz.

Reis already said he wants the Benavidez fight, but I'd prefer to see him fight Dodson(If they make him take a fight) At least then you get a new contender no matter who wins.

You could conceivably give Horiguchi a title shot with a win over Cariaso considering the state of the division. Flyweight isn't exactly WW with its depth so you gotta take fresh contenders when you can.

Agree with you on all points. Benavidez should be kept away from contenders unless MM somehow loses the belt. I'd love to see a title fight for the FlyW title between Dodson and Benavidez, that would be fireworks. Horiguchi is closing in, I'd say one or two more quality wins.

John Dodson tore his ACL awhile back and in recent interviews, told us he's going to be gearing up for a return around March/April. Question is, does he get an immediate title shot like he was supposed to get before the injury, or do they put him in a #1 contenders fight to shake off the ring rust before his potential title fight?

I don't know about you guys but I've been wanting to see Dodson/Benavidez for a long time, that would be a great fight to make but a loss for Dodson would knock him back out of title contention. I also like a potential fight with Ali Bagutinov who is coming off a title loss to Mighty Mouse. Another option would be rising contender Kyoji Horiguchi but I'm not in favor of that because it could derail Horiguchi in a division lacking many credible contenders.

What do you guys think? If Dodson doesn't get an immediate title fight upon return, who is he matched up with?

Isn't dodson in a different division?

He'll need a warm-up fight before getting his MM rematch....someone like Chico Camus or Wilson Reis.

Benavidez/Camus
Dodson/Reis
Horiguchi/Formiga

This seems reasonable.

Back