John Dodson is not ready

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by selection989, Jun 8, 2014.

1. selection989

selection989 White Belt

I hate to say it but I still feel like he isnt ready for it. He needs to learn to use his fierce footwork to score points which will force his oponents to come forward. DJ is just too hard to catch and as long as DJ is ahead on points, he'll stay on the outside. Discuss.

2. jmd69

jmd69 Brown Belt

Nothing to discuss....I think you are correct!

Ok ok...discuss

3. ironfist05

ironfist05 Silver Belt

A Dodson/MM rematch is something I want to see desperately (assuming MM beats Bagautinov)

Dodson had no problem tagging MM last time, what he needs to do is work on his cardio. MM's more technical, and better conditioned while Dodson is bigger and harder hitting, I'd say they're about equal for speed.

4. The Komodo

The Komodo Blue Belt

He was ready the last time they fought, he just didn't have the conditioning to keep up in the later rounds.

5. jmd69

jmd69 Brown Belt

Which means he wasn't ready.

6. pepo6ka

pepo6ka Blue Belt

Conditioning isn't something that you just build up like that... Dodson has the type of body structure that allows him to be super explosive and strong but he tends to fade in the later rounds.. Nothing you can do about it. If you think he didn't come in 100% the first fight, you are wrong. If he stays less active and doesn't throw with as much power he can conserve his energy but he will get outpointed by MM. Fact is if he doesn't finish him in the first 2-3 rounds he is most likely done...

7. Concrete

Concrete Steel Belt

You can't only give title shots if the guy is gonna be the favourite over the champ.

8. kphizzle

kphizzle Green Belt

He's fast and has power he needs cardio he gassed last time and Johnson picked him apart but with that being said Johnson has improved leaps and bounds also he's fast and is now showing the power to compliment that speed I think if he wins next weekend he considers moving up

9. lololboom

lololboom Blue Belt

He won the first 2 rounds of the last one, and if a point was taken for a illegal knee (THAT WAS THROWN ON PURPOSE) we would have already seen the rematch.

10. TLee391

TLee391 Yellow Belt

I think he did ok catching him last time. He dropped him like three times.

11. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

Pretty much this. Dodson's style does not lend itself to having gas in the 4th and 5th. He could fight more conservativly, but trying to outpoint DJ is a losing strategy.

12. ALAN PARTRIDGE

ALAN PARTRIDGE NO LONGER REGISTERED

13. Canadian fan

Canadian fan Orange Belt

I thought Dodson won the first fight 3 rounds to 2...

14. ultraninjastar

ultraninjastar Supreme Overlord

He almost knocked him out in their first outing. What makes you think he can't do it again?

15. LordBarnaby**

LordBarnaby** Green Belt

i couldnt tell if he was ready because his output is so low for the smallest weight class. too much movement without strikes

16. selection989

selection989 White Belt

Ready is obviously relative but I mean ready to beat MM. I just think he doesnt capitalize on his speed enough. Lots of times he's in range of his opponent and doesnt thrown anything which leaves him open to their jab(because he's just standing there). If he could make his movement more purposeful to where when he's in he's throwing something and when he's out he's out he'd conserve a lot more energy and force people to come to him instead of him having to chase them.
    PS If he could take a page out of Dillashaw against Barao, thats what I mean.

17. Junior D S

Junior D S Orange Belt

I scored Dodson 3 to 2. It was one of those fights were I feel the judges gave it to the champion. If Gus gets a rematch so soon and Hendricks got an automatic rematch, I don't see Why Dodson hasn't already earned a rematch.

As far as being ready, it was his first five rounder and it was against one of the best conditioned athletes. He needs to learn when to explode and when to rest in a five rounder. I believe Dodson will be flyweight champ someday.

18. selection989

selection989 White Belt

Definitely will be champ someday. But I dont think it'll be in their next outing.

19. Himo

Himo Purple Belt

Dodson could beat MM for the FlW title and rematch & beat TJ again for the BW title but he'd still lose at tetherball to the average 7th grader.

20. Selukrid612

Selukrid612 Red Belt

TJ wasn't ready for Barao either.