John Dodson 2 Division Champ: A Hypothetical Scenario

NeverAgainPlaya

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
This is a long shot that I don't see happening, at all, but oddly enough, it isn't completely out of the realm of possibility, and I thought it could be interesting to discuss. How would you feel about Dodson elevating his game to the point of owning two belts? What do you think the chances are we see something like this unfold? Do you even consider it possible, at this point in time?

Just looking at how it could possibly go down...

Dodson fights MM again. And defeats him, thus taking the 125 lb title. Let's say he defends a handful of times over the next 2 years (it doesn't seem terribly challenging to clean out the division, as MM has been showing us).

Let's also say that Dillashaw manages to continue defending his title successfully.

A superfight between Dodson and Dillashaw would hold some serious intrigue given the fact that Dodson has a W over TJ, and beating MM would be HUGE. And if Dodson WERE to beat MM, his stock would absolutely skyrocket, as Johnson is currently one of the most dominant champs in the promotion (I recognize that the division is thin). Dillashaw meanwhile is an emerging star who has knocked off a former top P4P considerate on two separate occasions and looks to have only a few notable challenges (as of now) waiting for him in the future.

So let's say these two hold titles in their divisions and a rematch/superfight is made down the road. Dodson hasn't (IMO) shown the improvement that Dillashaw has, but he could potentially defeat TJ again (speed would play a huge factor in that scenario), which would leave him holding the 125 and 135 pound titles.

Now that would be an INSANE situation. It's obviously a very, very, very long shot, but - again - it isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Just a little food for thought.

... thoughts?

he would have to beat MM twice back to back, because MM would be given an instant rematch. Given Dodson's last performance, that seems impossible to me.

he would have to beat MM twice back to back, because MM would be given an instant rematch. Given Dodson's last performance, that seems impossible to me.

you're probably very right about that.

I'm trying not to judge Dodson's last fight. It was a sparring match between two friends and it looked PAINFULLY obvious that neither man wanted to genuinely hurt the other.

I thought he won the first 3 rounds of the first fight but his last 2 fights he hasnt looked his usual self.

Also while dominant champs seem to be given instant rematches i dont know if they would give it to dj based on how poor of a draw he is.

I wouldnt be surprise to see them do Dodson vs Cedujo is mexico and push him as mexican in all honesty

I'm not much for discussing scenarios like this before the guy becomes a one division champ. One of his opponents is DJ, who already beat him and might be the best fighter in the UFC. He did beat TJ, but a much lesser version. The TJ that came off TUF is not the same fighter that has finished Barao twice in a row.

I think Dillashaw has improved too much to lose to Dodson again. Dodson is way too inactive during rounds to win a decision over either champ tbh. but I really hope he ko's Johnson!

When you get these ideas in your head, just ask yourself this: When is the last time the UFC had a champion vs champion fight between 2 weight classes? When is the last time someone held 2 belts simultaneously?

When you get these ideas in your head, just ask yourself this: When is the last time the UFC had a champion vs champion fight between 2 weight classes? When is the last time someone held 2 belts simultaneously?

Never and the last champ vs champ was GSP vs Penn 2.

I guess if we are looking to point out how watered down and less entertaining it is to have belts every 10lbs, than this is a good way to start.

I thought he won the first 3 rounds of the first fight but his last 2 fights he hasnt looked his usual self.

Also while dominant champs seem to be given instant rematches i dont know if they would give it to dj based on how poor of a draw he is.

I wouldnt be surprise to see them do Dodson vs Cedujo is mexico and push him as mexican in all honesty

well cejudo speaks spanish more fluently than the "mexican champ" kane velaskes

plus you have to remember Cruz is coming for that BW belt.

As much as I love Cruz (have always admired his mobility in the cage), it probably isn't going to happen. His body just isn't holding up, plain and simple.

If he beats MM I could see a TJ rematch happening sooner then most would think. BW has one maybe two contenders (Cruz, Assuncao), and Dodson has a W over TJ.

As much as I love Cruz (have always admired his mobility in the cage), it probably isn't going to happen. His body just isn't holding up, plain and simple.

You don't think he'll ever fight again? If he does make that walk to the cage it's going to be for the belt.

You don't think he'll ever fight again? If he does make that walk to the cage it's going to be for the belt.

I think that this delay will once again be so long that he'll be dropped into a tune up fight once more. I think he himself will likely know he needs it. It is no doubt possible that the UFC will disregard a tune up in order to simply cash in on a highly anticipated, money-making fight, but as time continues to pass, Cruz will need it more and more. By the time he returns we'll probably have seen a full five years have passed and he'll only be having his second fight inside that half decade.

To be honest, I don't really want to see him take a title fight upon return. The more I think about it, the less I like the idea of Cruz returning, recapturing gold, then injuring himself and being out for another 2 or 3 years. That could really fuck the division up.

All that said, in a perfect world, Cruz returns, destroys Dillashaw and then goes on a wicked streak. I just don't see the whole perfect world scenario unfolding.

I think that this delay will once again be so long that he'll be dropped into a tune up fight once more. I think he himself will likely know he needs it. It is no doubt possible that the UFC will disregard a tune up in order to simply cash in on a highly anticipated, money-making fight, but as time continues to pass, Cruz will need it more and more. By the time he returns we'll probably have seen a full five years have passed and he'll only be having his second fight inside that half decade.

To be honest, I don't really want to see him take a title fight upon return. The more I think about it, the less I like the idea of Cruz returning, recapturing gold, then injuring himself and being out for another 2 or 3 years. That could really fuck the division up.

All that said, in a perfect world, Cruz returns, destroys Dillashaw and then goes on a wicked streak. I just don't see the whole perfect world scenario unfolding.

I agree completely, especially as a Cruz fan it's not smart to fight TJ who has been active and dominant when he's been out so long. As a business move it's a no brainer to make TJ vs Cruz, but that time has got to have taken a toll on Cruz but I hope he somehow pulls it off and fights often after he returns.

He should move up to Bantamweight.

He has a good shot at Dillashaw. Not so much at #1 P4P Demetrious Johnson.

Back