john danahers open guard concepts

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
im curious if anyone who trains with him knows his concepts on open guard what eh likes to do play ect since 2016 seems like in no gi guys dont like to play open guards to sweep they do to try to get a leg entanglement to attack the legs

so far all u hear about his game is leg locks back front headlock control but curious about his strategy on guard itself obviously depend show the opponent is basing himself

lots of guys butt scoot but what primary guards does he like to play at high levels i only see him already showing moves from back mount front headlock or leg locks ect but curious how he likes to get there what types of guard and passing he likes

Most of his guys play seated/butterfly or half-butterfly. So much of thier guard game is based on getting underneath for ashi garamis to get subs or sweep. So most of their guards involve having both feet inside of the opponent's legs. Garry Tonon plays some traditional half guard and reverse delariva. And Ethan Crelinsten plays a lot of reverse delariva. But they are the main dds grapplers I've seen that don't insist on having inside position with both feet when he plays guard.

I don't know about his personal game but I don't think he really cares about the specifics of it. They have a heavy focus on attacking legs so inside position is very important and there are only so many guards you can play without the gi that let you have that. So I think there's not a ton of variation in the guards you see most of his guys play for that reason.

yeah seems like today people dont do sweeps like they use to that they only go for leg entanglements to either go to a leg lock or use to get back into base

Well you know even if you're sweeping for points, slx to stand up is one of the most reliable sweeps there is at any weight (but especially at light weights).

Sweeping at high levels in no gi is tough. Hard to keep people from standing back up, running away, etc. They just refuse to concede the points or sweep. Makes more sense to knot up the legs, and once you've gone through the trouble of tying them up so they can't escape to standing or run away, you're so dominant, why wouldn't you just try and finish from there?

if
Well you know even if you're sweeping for points, slx to stand up is one of the most reliable sweeps there is at any weight (but especially at light weights).
you can get the leg laced to do it then of course starting off though all you really have no gi if they are standing which 80% of guys do today is de la riva or basic feet on hips open guard or reverse if they try to put pressure braulio use to have a great no gi de la riva

Sweeping at high levels in no gi is tough. Hard to keep people from standing back up, running away, etc. They just refuse to concede the points or sweep. Makes more sense to knot up the legs, and once you've gone through the trouble of tying them up so they can't escape to standing or run away, you're so dominant, why wouldn't you just try and finish from there?

i think people are catching onto the legs more today i dont see as many guys finishing near as fast as they use to it use to be a trick card but now that it seems to be a staple part of the game i dont believe in falling back if i have top position for the legs for them to defend it and wasted all that time with it at least get your points first

Don't the DDS guys just butt scoot?
Tonon has one of the most dynamic takedown and standing submission entries in the sport. Gordon Ryan took several people down at ADCC, including a takedown to mounted guillotine on Keenan. Crelinstein seems equally comfortable passing or submitting from bottom.

Back