John Danaher Leg lock and back attack dvd?

Despicable Idiot”? Please explain. And given the level of emotions Danaher seems to arise in people. Please explain how he is
  1. An idiot: specifically where and why. With actual examples. Given that all of the criticisms of his instructional style could very easily be applied to Ryan Hall
  2. Despicable: That is a very strong word that seems to be used to be inflammatory/emotionally, rather than accurate or objective. @rmongler you will appreciate this. In my teacher professional development meeting yesterday, we talked about the importance of academic vocab vs everyday/“social” vocab. And how if you don’t emphasize it and teach it in multiple ways. It both leads to misuse of words and impeads learning
Believe it or not, I’m not trying to be an asshole. I’ve actually kept my mouth shut most of the thread. I even “understand” Kenetics view of the whole thing, even if I don’t entirely agree..

But using words like “despicable idiot”, seems both obnoxious and inaccurate even if you are criticizing him. There are much more accurate and better ways to do it. But I’m am extremely sure the majority of the criticisms of his teaching style can be applied to Ryan Halls instructionals as well.

And for real... has anyone considered the idea Danaher is on the spectrum or something along those lines.. before people make sweeping judgements or say he’s a “psychopath”. Especially when it’s clear most of the people saying it have never actually been around real psycho/sociopaths

I fully understand not liking his way of talking, i fully understand people not liking his personality or attitudes, I fully understand some people are misguided and sometimes think you “have” to be a high level competitor to be worth listening to. Grow up, stop whining, take what is useful and focus on yourself
Great post

Doesn’t matter. According to Bjjfanatics, they will reshoot the whole thing and if you ordered a DVD, you will get a copy of the new reshoot. Danaher posted that he will travel to Boston to reshoot.
True but either way everyone gets what they want - a good solid product.

How long are the four DVDs in total? Is this set 9 hours?

Despicable Idiot”? Please explain. And given the level of emotions Danaher seems to arise in people. Please explain how he is
  1. An idiot: specifically where and why. With actual examples. Given that all of the criticisms of his instructional style could very easily be applied to Ryan Hall
  2. Despicable: That is a very strong word that seems to be used to be inflammatory/emotionally, rather than accurate or objective. @rmongler you will appreciate this. In my teacher professional development meeting yesterday, we talked about the importance of academic vocab vs everyday/“social” vocab. And how if you don’t emphasize it and teach it in multiple ways. It both leads to misuse of words and impeads learning

1. He seems to be intentionally trying to be as verbose as possible in situations where it add zero extra information and no additional precision. Either he is too stupid to realize the value of brevity which is super important for a coach or is intentionally malicious.
I suspect that he wants to inflate his importance and as such is intentionally trying to appear a "genius" by styling his writing as badly written academic humanities bullshit.

Ryan Hall DVD's can be split into conceptual parts which I view as mostly entertainment and actual moves. I always skip most of the concepts at first as they aren't useful or important and focus on the actual moves and drills parts and then watch the concept just for fun like a podcast.
I super dislike people who have a super inflated opinion (I admittedly have low self value) of themselves and try to appear smarter than they are.

1. He seems to be intentionally trying to be as verbose as possible in situations where it add zero extra information and no additional precision. Either he is too stupid to realize the value of brevity which is super important for a coach or is intentionally malicious.
I suspect that he wants to inflate his importance and as such is intentionally trying to appear a "genius" by styling his writing as badly written academic humanities bullshit.

Ryan Hall DVD's can be split into conceptual parts which I view as mostly entertainment and actual moves. I always skip most of the concepts at first as they aren't useful or important and focus on the actual moves and drills parts and then watch the concept just for fun like a podcast.
I super dislike people who have a super inflated opinion (I admittedly have low self value) of themselves and try to appear smarter than they are.
“Too stupid, to understand the value of brevity”.. if that’s your argument then there are a lot of EXTREMELY GOOD coaches that fall under that criticism.. and by that “logic” are stupid.. And Ryan Halls instructionals have massive amounts of wasted time even in the “moves” part. It’s actually really annoying because a 5 min segment on a type of arm triangle or deep half setup/move will only have 30 seconds showing the actual move.

And quite honestly.. the “value” of brevity very much depends on your audience and classroom.. much in the same way a competetent high school teacher will teach a gen ed. American History course vastly different than a university professor teaching “technically” the same topic of American History.
  1. The high school teacher will break things down, simplify,give graphic organizers, use multiple methods to introduce and teach the academic vocabulary so you can understand the advanced concepts later
  2. The university professor won’t break it down like that. he/she expect you to be ready for a university class. If you are qualified to be there, they shouldn’t have to explain “a bill on capital hill” or “three branches of government” or what the Great Comphromise was. They are going to, rightly so, be using the advanced vocabulary and concepts to actually go into concepts like; Madisons Constitution theories that still dictate our government today, how and why the US is based off English Common Law, the ways the White southern democrats used advanced methods such as gerrymandering and manipulated congressional committees to weird a disproportionate amount of influenceETC etc
  3. I coach middle schoolers and average high schoolers with much more brevity and (at first) way less detail that advanced
  4. Point being the value of “brevity” very much depends
What’s the point of all that^^.. I just wrote.. Danaher has ALWAYS, BEFORE HE GOT REALLY FAMOUS, coached to the highest level students and how to push them. People said before the Death Squad got big that Danaher coached in that way. Danaher never pretended to be that guy who had a gift for coaching/teaching the casuals or unathlethic. So when you see hoe he teaches and talks.. you are getting what and how he teaches his best students every day at the gym

He is Like that AP teacher who is brilliant at getting the most out of gifted students and getting them to stretch beyond coasting. (and no, that isn’t as easy as people think). But struggles to teach gen ed courses, not because he thinks they’re dumb, but because he has no way of articulating the lesson without using the academic vocabulary and advanced concepts.

Also, ever considered that if he does have some level of autism or ASD that he literally can’t help writing or talking like that...

Finally, to your last point. Calling someone basically worthy of your “hatred”, which is what saying he is despicable actually means.. because he has too high an opinion of himself.. you must hate a lot of people. Which on a completely serious note could be contributing to your low self value. No joke

TLDR: of the many valid criticisms you could level at Danaher, calling him “stupid and despicable” for acting professorial and teaching at a metaphorical college level instead of a middle school one are not good ones and are emotional not rational

“Too stupid, to understand the value of brevity”.. if that’s your argument then there are a lot of EXTREMELY GOOD coaches that fall under that criticism.. and by that “logic” are stupid.. And Ryan Halls instructionals have massive amounts of wasted time even in the “moves” part. It’s actually really annoying because a 5 min segment on a type of arm triangle or deep half setup/move will only have 30 seconds showing the actual move.

And quite honestly.. the “value” of brevity very much depends on your audience and classroom.. much in the same way a competetent high school teacher will teach a gen ed. American History course vastly different than a university professor teaching “technically” the same topic of American History.
  1. The high school teacher will break things down, simplify,give graphic organizers, use multiple methods to introduce and teach the academic vocabulary so you can understand the advanced concepts later
  2. The university professor won’t break it down like that. he/she expect you to be ready for a university class. If you are qualified to be there, they shouldn’t have to explain “a bill on capital hill” or “three branches of government” or what the Great Comphromise was. They are going to, rightly so, be using the advanced vocabulary and concepts to actually go into concepts like; Madisons Constitution theories that still dictate our government today, how and why the US is based off English Common Law, the ways the White southern democrats used advanced methods such as gerrymandering and manipulated congressional committees to weird a disproportionate amount of influenceETC etc
  3. I coach middle schoolers and average high schoolers with much more brevity and (at first) way less detail that advanced
  4. Point being the value of “brevity” very much depends
What’s the point of all that^^.. I just wrote.. Danaher has ALWAYS, BEFORE HE GOT REALLY FAMOUS, coached to the highest level students and how to push them. People said before the Death Squad got big that Danaher coached in that way. Danaher never pretended to be that guy who had a gift for coaching/teaching the casuals or unathlethic. So when you see hoe he teaches and talks.. you are getting what and how he teaches his best students every day at the gym

He is Like that AP teacher who is brilliant at getting the most out of gifted students and getting them to stretch beyond coasting. (and no, that isn’t as easy as people think). But struggles to teach gen ed courses, not because he thinks they’re dumb, but because he has no way of articulating the lesson without using the academic vocabulary and advanced concepts.

Also, ever considered that if he does have some level of autism or ASD that he literally can’t help writing or talking like that...

Finally, to your last point. Calling someone basically worthy of your “hatred”, which is what saying he is despicable actually means.. because he has too high an opinion of himself.. you must hate a lot of people. Which on a completely serious note could be contributing to your low self value. No joke

TLDR: of the many valid criticisms you could level at Danaher, calling him “stupid and despicable” for acting professorial and teaching at a metaphorical college level instead of a middle school one are not good ones and are emotional not rational
I don't know why you are wasting your time. Yetanother is the kind of guy that will never change his mind from a message board and he appears to be a miserable bloke to have this kind of hypocritical opinion. I like both Ryan hall and Danaher. But getting through Ryan halls unnecessary jokes and tangents can be a challenge at times.

I don't know why you are wasting your time. Yetanother is the kind of guy that will never change his mind from a message board and he appears to be a miserable bloke to have this kind of hypocritical opinion. I like both Ryan hall and Danaher. But getting through Ryan halls unnecessary jokes and tangents can be a challenge at times.
I don’t consider it wasting time but discussing Danaher me prod and cons and attempting to make it a rational one

1. I coach middle schoolers and average high schoolers with much more brevity and (at first) way less detail that advanced

What I'm complaining is extra detail (which is great in a DVD format) which Danaher does *NOT* add, but just him seemingly trying hard to convey the same information in more words. Compare Rafa who puts at ton of details and tip in everything while choosing his words carefully and being precise.
Danaher might be teaching at a metaphorical college level, but if so it's at a humanities bullshit level.

What I'm complaining is extra detail (which is great in a DVD format) which Danaher does *NOT* add, but just him seemingly trying hard to convey the same information in more words. Compare Rafa who puts at ton of details and tip in everything while choosing his words carefully and being precise.
Danaher might be teaching at a metaphorical college level, but if so it's at a humanities bullshit level.
Humanities people can’t help being what they are. Getting mad at that is like getting mad at a mother for being motherly or a teenager latching onto a cause for at least a little while. It’s their nature.

And again, if he’s anywhere on the spectrum like I strongly suspect. I bet that’s how he naturally is to a certain extent

Again, none of which justifies the word “stupid”

Take what is useful, discard the rest, and focus on what you can do for yourself. Are you honestly trying to assert that there was nothing useful or just being overly critical because of personal insecurity?

I’ll add that Bjj in general has wayyy more over philosophizing and over lengthy explanations than wrestling and it used to annoy the hell out of me. Now I just accept it and offer my opinion how it’s inefficient

Are you honestly trying to assert that there was nothing useful or just being overly critical because of personal insecurity?

The techniques are legit. It's just that Danaher is super annoying for me to watch. You have then opinion that it's because of his autism I think that's because he is a wannabe-genius douchebag.

The techniques are legit. It's just that Danaher is super annoying for me to watch. You have then opinion that it's because of his autism I think that's because he is a wannabe-genius douchebag.

Sounds like he makes you feel insecure ...

RE - the DVD -

The portions where he talks about the set-ups - those are the areas in which I'm most interested. Can anyone tell me, generally speaking, how those sections are?

Sounds like he makes you feel insecure ...

RE - the DVD -

The portions where he talks about the set-ups - those are the areas in which I'm most interested. Can anyone tell me, generally speaking, how those sections are?

They last DVD are the best parts. The later the DVD the better they get. DVD 1 is mostly trash (with about 5 minutes of real content), the setups parts have some info. They actually show techniques.

I’ll add that Bjj in general has wayyy more over philosophizing and over lengthy explanations than wrestling and it used to annoy the hell out of me. Now I just accept it and offer my opinion how it’s inefficient

Did you actually watch the Danaher DVDs?

How do you guys learn from dvds in general. Watch them with a friend? Grappling dummy? Waifu pillow?

When I’m drilling in class my coach corrects so many small details. ‘Stay heavier here, thumb on the other side etc. So I’m not very confident I could really take in a lot from watching video.

That said I’m a pretty low level blue belt, and not someone you would consider a natural. So it could be my own apititude

How do you guys learn from dvds in general.

You have to drill the moves with someone to learn them. Often (and in the past almost always) I have to watch them again after trying to pick up more details (once I try I understand what the non-obvious parts are)

Just to be really sure, you attribute the difference in verbosity to innate difference in moral character, and not the fact that one of them was a philosophy teacher and the other one doesn't speak english as their first language.

If you tried to measure my default communication approach from how I speak my second language, you would conclude that it's super important to me that all my communication be aimed at an 8 year old's level of comprehension.

That would be a really stupid conclusion.

I admit defeat. If the way Danaher speaks convinces all the idiots that he is a genius and get them to buy his stuff it might be a brilliant strategy. I'm writing angry posts on the internet while Danaher is laughing his way to the bank planning how he will spend his DVD profits on some new spiffy rashguard (or abusing hookers or buying new knifes or whatever floats his boat).
OTOH you have to admit that if someone who is not a native speak is much more precise and concise in your native language it doesn't reflect to well on you does it?
BTW the actual philosophy PhD that I had a class with in college spoke nothing like Danaher and was super precise and concise.

Did you actually watch the Danaher DVDs?
A decent chunk while at my friends, it was what I expected.
So being a “douchebag” makes someone stupid? You keep ignoring my actual point. You can think someone is annoying or a douche. I think Woodrow Wilson was a professorial douchebag and partially put the US into WWI to cement his “legacy” as the League of Nations founder. Lol. Doesn’t make Wilson stupid, just a douchebag.

It comes across like of it comes from insecurity. It “seems” like because you have a low opinion of yourself (you stated that) that you need a reason to bring others down instead of just focusing on yourself and improvement. I’ve been there. It’s not healthy

Back