John Danaher launches ‘Feet To Floor’ takedown instructional series.

But that is not reality. In reality all blast doubles aren't finished instantly. Just look at that other thread about Jordan Burroughs. He's the best in the world but doesn't finish opponents straight away and in that time your opponent could secure a figure four guillotine.
You fight the way you train.
If you train to drive instead of blast, then you drive your doubles.

By using JB as an example, you are trying to apply Danaher's criteria, taking a takedown from a sport with no submissions and implying that takedown is no good for BJJ, because of the danger of submissions.

So, if you train blast double for BJJ, train to set it up and execute with BJJ in mind, not FSW.

You fight the way you train.
If you train to drive instead of blast, then you drive your doubles.

By using JB as an example, you are trying to apply Danaher's criteria, taking a takedown from a sport with no submissions and implying that takedown is no good for BJJ, because of the danger of submissions.

So, if you train blast double for BJJ, train to set it up and execute with BJJ in mind, not FSW.
No I'm not saying don't use blast doubles BUT I'm just pointing out they are not totally immune from submissions. My blast double would be pretty lousy and I'm sure I'd get guillotined a lot as I practised it, but less then a normal head outside double, sure.

No I'm not saying don't use blast doubles BUT I'm just pointing out they are not totally immune from submissions. My blast double would be pretty lousy and I'm sure I'd get guillotined a lot as I practised it, but less then a normal head outside double, sure.
Nobody is immune to submissions.
If there was a way, everyone would be training it.

There are ways to minimize the risk though.
Hence the adjustments.
Bunch of BJJ techniques are coming from other sports and adjusted to BJJ.

Same is applied to takedowns.

Lousy execution is increasing the risk and that is why takedowns should be learned from takedown artists.

But that is not reality. In reality all blast doubles aren't finished instantly. Just look at that other thread about Jordan Burroughs. He's the best in the world but doesn't finish opponents straight away and in that time your opponent could secure a figure four guillotine.
One of the best ;)
fs-74kg-zaurbek-sidakov-rus-df-jordan-ernest-burroughs-usa-5-e1540054248506.jpg

One of the best ;)
fs-74kg-zaurbek-sidakov-rus-df-jordan-ernest-burroughs-usa-5-e1540054248506.jpg
Thats the thing.

People watch Burroughs driving a blast double in Olympic level and dont realise the level of his opponents.

Every single one on the bracket would open a black hole in space, if applying a blast double on a grappling competitor.

That's just the way it it.

Now, Im not advocating everyone getting on that level.

But watch guys like Steven Ramos, who is a good wrestling competitor, JT Torres student, very successful BJJ competitor, Polaris (and all of NAGA type events) veteran, UWW grappling Worlds silver medalist, Combat Wrestling World champion and winner of the first invitational event I did, Yagadome Invitational (King of 175).

That is how you mix your takedown abilities and transfer into ground game.

Last edited:
Am I the only person who is a little reluctant to learn takedowns from a jiu jitsu guy, instead of a wrestler or judoka? Not to mention someone who has zero takedown competition experience? I feel like you would get way more from someone like Cary Kolat?

Also learning takedowns for “BJJ-only” sounds like learning BJJ for MMA only...so much is gained from the process of learning takedowns for the sake of takedowns, as a purist, ie learning boxing from a boxer, and tying it all together GSP-style.

Excellent point.

Though Danaher is bright, he’s venturing into a realm he is, in my personal opinion, nowhere near qualified to teach. Maybe against a complete noob but....

Foot sweeps are criminally underutilized in gi BJJ. Probably the lowest risk TD attempt and they chain into just about anything.

Saw this video on Monday and tried it out half speed in BJJ this week - I think it's a variation of okuriashi harai or whatever the side stepping foot sweep is called. I learned it a long time ago but have never seen this detail of stepping on uke's foot to set it up. Works great and even if you miss the timing slightly, it's much easier to scoop uke's foot into an ankle pick vs. a regular missed sole of the foot sweep attempt.

Travis Steven's youtube channel is a goldmine of short vids like this showing key details, tweaks and refinements to make TDs work better.

Gotta love that NE attention to detail.

The first part of the clip where Trav is explaining the instep of his right foot with his weight on the ball of the foot captures Uke's left foot is great. When it's sped up it allows Tori to launch like a sprinter into that forward, not across his center line, sweep with the chest contact controlling when Uke is forced to step back with his lead-in this case left foot. When timed well it just feels like you sprinted forward through the throw.

Man I miss NE Judo!

Gotta love that NE attention to detail.

The first part of the clip where Trav is explaining the instep of his right foot with his weight on the ball of the foot captures Uke's left foot is great. When it's sped up it allows Tori to launch like a sprinter into that forward, not across his center line, sweep with the chest contact controlling when Uke is forced to step back with his lead-in this case left foot. When timed well it just feels like you sprinted forward through the throw.

Man I miss NE Judo!

Yeah, there's so many fundamental details like these that I'd forgotten and been botching since I stopped training Judo regularly. This is the entry that I've been trying to work as a chain into head inside single or underhook no gi tai otoshi or harai goshi.

I'm a huge fan of Stevens and his teaching style. Have only casually followed Judo for past 20 years but I never even heard of this guy until I read about him earning BB from Dahaher and campaigning to compete in IBJJF worlds and ADCC.

Last edited:
Its a bad instructional, that being said

People who were dieing to sh1t on danaher were given a gift. I predict that this specific instructional would be brought up every time danahers name is brought up.

Its a bad instructional, that being said

People who were dieing to sh1t on danaher were given a gift. I predict that this specific instructional would be brought up every time danahers name is brought up.

It didn’t even come out so how can anyone can a proper assessment? What he says in the preview video isn’t new in BJJ. Terere taught a variation of a takedown to prevent the back take when both hit the mat. I was taught the drop seoi nage and many competitors favor it and you rarely ever see the opponent seoi nage in tournament.

What he teaches, his students like Gordon Ryan especially, puts into practice. Danaher is a great synthesizer of developments and has put together systems that interlock which are high percentage. This instructional is one of three for his fundamentals series.

I’m interested in his instructionals on MMA.

I don't get his comparison with leg locks... BJJ is not in need of more elaborate takedowns because

A) pulling guard is sufficient
B) all takedowns are scored equally

In other words, why would you need to work on something that is in no way required? He hasn't justified why this evolution must occur. Is he simply bored?

Am I the only person who is a little reluctant to learn takedowns from a jiu jitsu guy, instead of a wrestler or judoka? Not to mention someone who has zero takedown competition experience? I feel like you would get way more from someone like Cary Kolat?

Also learning takedowns for “BJJ-only” sounds like learning BJJ for MMA only...so much is gained from the process of learning takedowns for the sake of takedowns, as a purist, ie learning boxing from a boxer, and tying it all together GSP-style.
Marketing/

I don't get his comparison with leg locks... BJJ is not in need of more elaborate takedowns because

A) pulling guard is sufficient
B) all takedowns are scored equally

In other words, why would you need to work on something that is in no way required? He hasn't justified why this evolution must occur. Is he simply bored?

No. He’s not bored or why would he put so much effort into a 3 volume set for beginners on takedowns.

He said because takedowns are not favored under certain rule sets mainly BJJ the art ends up having inferior takedowns. The point to use ground techniques and submit your opponent is to get then to the ground. Very few standing submission techniques that are high percentage. He said if leg submissions have developed rivaling Sambo, catch wrestling, why not takedowns?

his argument is why only pull guard when your takedowns are good enough to get your opponent to the ground to pin then submit them?

He’s not against Judo or wrestling but realize it takes years and many are hobbyists and it’s a shame if they have no takedown game.

That’s been a criticism of many that end of cross training in Judo or wrestling. I have me bjjers cross train in Judo, Sambo, wrestling to round their grappling skills. One black belt I knew said he felt he needed to learn Judo and even competed.

Why focus on guard pulling techniques in class but focus on takedowns? I’ve had instructors that were Judo black belts before they started in BJJ and their knowledge and techniques are highly developed to apply kuzushi or setting up the opponent with grips and positioning to put someone into position for a throw.

But if you do that once a month, Imdont want to risk injuring myself or my training partners.

No. He’s not bored or why would he put so much effort into a 3 volume set for beginners on takedowns.

He said because takedowns are not favored under certain rule sets mainly BJJ the art ends up having inferior takedowns. The point to use ground techniques and submit your opponent is to get then to the ground. Very few standing submission techniques that are high percentage. He said if leg submissions have developed rivaling Sambo, catch wrestling, why not takedowns?

his argument is why only pull guard when your takedowns are good enough to get your opponent to the ground to pin then submit them?

He’s not against Judo or wrestling but realize it takes years and many are hobbyists and it’s a shame if they have no takedown game.

That’s been a criticism of many that end of cross training in Judo or wrestling. I have me bjjers cross train in Judo, Sambo, wrestling to round their grappling skills. One black belt I knew said he felt he needed to learn Judo and even competed.

Why focus on guard pulling techniques in class but focus on takedowns? I’ve had instructors that were Judo black belts before they started in BJJ and their knowledge and techniques are highly developed to apply kuzushi or setting up the opponent with grips and positioning to put someone into position for a throw.

But if you do that once a month, Imdont want to risk injuring myself or my training partners.

My point is, does it further a sport which isn't specialized in takedowns anyway? I get it if he speaks from a self defense persepctive but practically, on a mat, in competiton, pulling guard is usually the best.

My point is, does it further a sport which isn't specialized in takedowns anyway? I get it if he speaks from a self defense persepctive but practically, on a mat, in competiton, pulling guard is usually the best.
I guess hes magically hoping this series will lead to more practioners who enter tournaments, trying to do more takedowns with efficiency and hes hopeful more instructors will teach takedowns to their students but the problem is unless the IBJJF rules change re: guard pulling then it doesnt matter if youre Travis Stevens(who he HIMSELF said its better to pull guard in bjj tournaments). The rules will dictate how the match goes in terms of winning percentage moves, not the competitors so much. Must suck to have awesome single and double legs, but to just have a guy sit on his ass and invite you to his open guard or worse, jump to guard. Great for the street to have killer single or double ,but in bjj tournaments(most)iits not necessary at all and especially at lighter weights. SHOULD it be?! Yeah i love takedowns but i suck at them as im 47, have injuries and never wrestled or did judo and just drill the basic takedowns we barely do in the mma and bjj class i went to(havent gone since covid, gyms closed). I love them not for tournaments as i dont compete anymore, but for street self defense as i realize i cant sit on my ass and invite a mugger to come to my guard. I respect Danahers approach and his willingness to encourage takedowns but until the rules change and more dojo owners really implement solid takedown curriculums with live drilling, then its not gonna change much imo.

After listening to people who saw the instructional and was quoting him/showing how danaher teaches takedowns. This is my opinion:

Danaher was shown good technique and theory but unlike his groundwork... his takedown ideas are disconnected with the realities of takedowns. My guess is that he couldnt spar stand up like he could on the ground due to his injuries .

Agree 100% . It is as silly as learning boxing with Danaher. But this means more money and ego so we can expect at least 3 volumes.

Back