John Danaher - History Of The Triangle Choke (podcast)

could listen to him forever just wish he woould teach his techniques at normal speed he does everything super slow

Now i'm gonna have to dig up a little bit. I am almost certain john is wrong about the lack of historical triangles. I am near-certain i've seen one in german fightbooks, and they're present in silat styles that are are old AF.

Can't deal with Danaher wearing a rashguard. Too ridiculous.

Listened to it. Loved it.

Does anyone know the history of the omo plata?

just like being a black belt in BJJ doesn't make you any good at plumbing...being a black belt in BJJ doesn't make you a historian either

Now i'm gonna have to dig up a little bit. I am almost certain john is wrong about the lack of historical triangles. I am near-certain i've seen one in german fightbooks, and they're present in silat styles that are are old AF.

Head sciasors have been been around for a long time (tepee choke). Perhaps even the judo triangle against a turtled opponent.

John is specifically speaking about the triangle from the guard. Not the tepee but specifically the triangle from the guard locking one arm.

just like being a black belt in BJJ doesn't make you any good at plumbing...being a black belt in BJJ doesn't make you a historian either

John knows how to research, for gods sake he graduated with a masters in philosophy from Colombia. All they do is research.

This is true but if you should check out Mastering Jiu Jitsu. It's Renzo's first book but Danaher wrote it and he covers the history of Japanese Jujutsu/Judo/BJJ from feudal times all the way up to the late 90s. It's incredibly informative in terms of martial arts history. He has a Master's degree from Columbia so I think his research skills are respectable.

I got sixteen seconds into that video and as soon as I saw Uncle Fester with his hoodie and rash guard had to stop it.

I'm eating dinner for chrissakes

could listen to him forever just wish he woould teach his techniques at normal speed he does everything super slow
Just speed up the clip if it's on YouTube. That's the only way I could get through a Noam Chomsky lecture/debate.

Right. I stopped at around eleven minutes and I must say that it is almost sounds conspiracy theories.

From memory, kosen judo comes from one part of Japan and the kodokan judo was mostly influenced by another part of Japan which favoured tachiwaza over newaza.
Mitsuro Kimura 8th Dan Judo was also known as Mr Sankaku. So he was the sensei to go when it came Sankaku. Have a look on you tube. Hundred of judo BB claims him as their sensei.

Another interesting fact that I learn is that Sankaku is the description for locking your leg into a triangle.

For example, omoplata or a bicep slicer can considered as sankaku.

This is true but if you should check out Mastering Jiu Jitsu. It's Renzo's first book but Danaher wrote it and he covers the history of Japanese Jujutsu/Judo/BJJ from feudal times all the way up to the late 90s. It's incredibly informative in terms of martial arts history. He has a Master's degree from Columbia so I think his research skills are respectable.

I agree but it’s difficult as I doubt he corresponded to those practicing or are knowledgeable about old Japanese martial arts. Quite a few survive and you can watch their demonstrations on YouTube but it’s notoriously difficult to understand some of the meanings of some techniques. Books like the Choque series and other books that try to trace the history and especially the techniques of BJJ is difficult.
Right. I stopped at around eleven minutes and I must say that it is almost sounds conspiracy theories.

From memory, kosen judo comes from one part of Japan and the kodokan judo was mostly influenced by another part of Japan which favoured tachiwaza over newaza.
Mitsuro Kimura 8th Dan Judo was also known as Mr Sankaku. So he was the sensei to go when it came Sankaku. Have a look on you tube. Hundred of judo BB claims him as their sensei.

Another interesting fact that I learn is that Sankaku is the description for locking your leg into a triangle.

For example, omoplata or a bicep slicer can considered as sankaku.

Kosen Judo was developed and practiced amongst certain universities. I forgot where I read this but it was about how these guys were nerdy but bright students that could get into the top universities. They would lose in a stand up match with other universities with guys who were athletic and built. They continued the dragging of their opponents to the ground like the Fusen stylists that fought Kano’s judokas. Once on the ground, they could focus on submission techniques.

Sankaku translates into triangle. San is three in Japanese and means triangle.

Danaher has a good point about how personalities are remembered but techniques and their development are not well documented.

But I do agree that the triangle choke from the guard is a relative invention in Judo. That’s his basic argument and it’s not far fetched. Is the triangle choke from the guard a formal Judo technique that is a technique in the formal katas?

Back