John Cena lifting

I'm not going to lie, I am now a john cena fan. squats, deads, cleans, snatches, GHR's?!?!? nice.

I'm not going to lie, I am now a john cena fan. squats, deads, cleans, snatches, GHR's?!?!? nice.

he is also insanely polite i have met him really relaxed guy considering his job.

Cena's gotten way bigger since his first days in the WWE. Anyone remember how slender HHH used to look in the 90s?

* Because pro wrestling involves so many body types, and wrestlers' personas are often based partly on their physical characteristics and abilities, there may be less of a cookie-cutter mentality regarding training in pro wrestling, compared with MMA. In other words, maybe nobody's telling him "no, you have to do it this way 'cause so-and-so does it this way."

Very true. It seems that all that lazily received 'wisdom' has really been eating away at every aspect of MMA lately, in the octagon and out. I think that's why we're seeing such unprecedented differences between the champions and the rest of the field - the champs are the guys smart enough to shun convention and approach the sport their way (not that all of the current crop of champs are doing heavy squats and deads for strength work, but we know they aren't high rep curling on a wobble board).

I don't normally post stuff like this but I saw this video on Marunde's forum and was impressed with how John Cena lifts weights. The video shows squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, among other things.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5tI_Jq8eM4U&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5tI_Jq8eM4U&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

fixed

Excellent video, mate. War Cena!:icon_chee

+ 1. I was especially interested in the comments about CG Bench; I've just started doing that again.

In the flex article he said his HS basecall coach gave him an ultimatum.....stop lifting heavy or hes off the team, he quit the team so he could lift.

And yeah I had the Flex magazine, was pre Rippetoe for me the shame......

Roids or not the guy is an amazing lifter, good work ethic, he really looks like he knows what he is doing which is surprising I guess, so many athletes have poor strength routines it seems.

Semi-serious, semi-informed response...

* Cena probably has to do more job-related tasks that involve maximal strength with heavy weights, compared with most MMA fighters. Notably, picking up and throwing huge guys.

* Cena presumably has no concerns about weight class, and wants to be as big and strong as possible so long as he stays relatively lean.

* Pro wrestling is (I think) still a bigger money-maker than MMA, and because he's one of WWE's biggest stars, the management probably invests more money in his training than, say, Zuffa puts into their top athletes.

* Because pro wrestling involves so many body types, and wrestlers' personas are often based partly on their physical characteristics and abilities, there may be less of a cookie-cutter mentality regarding training in pro wrestling, compared with MMA. In other words, maybe nobody's telling him "no, you have to do it this way 'cause so-and-so does it this way."

I agree with the above, and I would also comment that in a sport where it's already predetermined and scripted whether you will win or lose, and the moves are choreographed, you don't have to worry about cardiovascular fitness and "gassing out," so you can just lift weights, eat a ton, and get huuuge.

Sure, you need some cardio to do pro wrestling, but let's get real, you'll never see a pro wrestler running on a treadmill while breathing through a snorkel. Cardio is a MUCH bigger concern in MMA.

I agree with the above, and I would also comment that in a sport where it's already predetermined and scripted whether you will win or lose, and the moves are choreographed, you don't have to worry about cardiovascular fitness and "gassing out," so you can just lift weights, eat a ton, and get huuuge.

Sure, you need some cardio to do pro wrestling, but let's get real, you'll never see a pro wrestler running on a treadmill while breathing through a snorkel. Cardio is a MUCH bigger concern in MMA.

You absolutely have to worry about gassing out. Ultimate Warrior was blown up for practically every match he had after running to the ring. Scott Steiner is such a juice head now that he can barely go 2 minutes without throwing on a rest hold or stalling.

100% no contest. Cardio is a bigger issue in MMA. It's not even a discussion.

But wrestlers have to have cardio or else they suck.

damn he's taking things back to the cro-magnum era with an animal strapped acrosst his back.

Still working with the same friend from the first vids... if the guy is a D-1 strength coach then it's reasonable to think he has John on the right track.

I should never have clicked..
I am now a John Cena fan????

I should never have clicked..
I am now a John Cena fan????

Eh, what's not to like?

Yeah, yeah, pro wrestling's fake, but there are much worse ways to earn a living.

Plus, Cena's one of the few popular pro wrestlers nowadays with a straight-arrow persona, so he sets a good example for kids. And in real life he does charity work and seems to be a decent human being.

Back