1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

John Brzenk vs Devon Larratt 2021

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by heloder, Nov 7, 2021.

1. heloder Purple Belt

Any arm wrestling fans here?

[​IMG]

57 year old arm wrestling legend and undisputed greatest of all time John Brzenk putting his old man strength up against 46 year old Devon Larratt on December 11th in Dubai. Devon's obviously the heavy favorite, but John has looked impressive so far in his comeback, and did crush Devon in their last match in 2015.

Does John have enough left to handle the size and endurance of Devon? Do either of them stand a chance against Levan Saginashvili?

Words?

2. heavyarms21 Ryozanpaku Belt

Pulling John was a great Documentary , he is a legend, but Larrat is too big and strong.

ElPadre, MusterX and heloder like this.
  3. MusterX Titanium Belt

Larrat generally depends on his cardio and ability to outlast opponents. He's one of the best ever to look like he's going to lose for about 3 or 4 minutes straight then pull out a win. In this case though, he may be too strong for a near 60 year old Brzenk. In their primes though, John Brzenk all day.

heloder and heavyarms21 like this.
  4. BKMMAFAN Silver Belt

Nobody is beating Levan.

PEB and heloder like this.
  5. PEB Great turntable of space and time dude

Levan a freak of nature he cannot out bench or outlift Larry Wheels but he could put down Larry x 5 at the same time arm wrestling. Levan is a heavy steroid and growth hormone user. He was in high school at around 160 lbs but 3 years later he was over 300 lbs. He could never pass a drug test. Brzenk could pull out a win because he made a young Denis Cyplenkov look like a high school student. He beat Shaw easily the kid was destroying everyone recently till he ran into John. Don't underestimate Brzenk he is someone who can suck the life out of Larratt.

https://arm-wrestling.fandom.com/wiki/John_Brzenk

heloder likes this.
  6. PEB Great turntable of space and time dude

7. Bia Green Belt

I'm more interested in Larry's progression, he brings a lot of attention to arm wrestling world

8. PEB Great turntable of space and time dude

MusterX likes this.
  9. heloder Purple Belt

As much as I like Brzenk, Shaw hasn't beaten anyone close to Devon's level. Other than Brzenk himself, the only other top level guy I've seen him pull is Chaffee in a prelim, and Chaffee put him down in 1 second.

I personally don't think John will beat Devon just because Devon is extremely difficult to pin at this point in his career. What his wins over Chaffee and Todd showed me was that he has the size, strength, intelligence, defense, and endurance to survive hits from just about anybody with the exception of Levan and Vitaly. But I certainly won't count John out because he is still very strong, and nobody really knows how much he actually has at the moment. Not taking his age into account, obviously John has stopped Chaffee, Todd, a young Cyplenkov, and Devon. It's not even his defense that concerns me here; I just don't know if he has enough endurance and power left to actually pin Devon, especially in a strap.

As far as anybody beating Levan? I think with enough training Vitaly Laletin could do it, but that's about it. Right now he's like a giant, supercharged version of Matt Mask. With enough training he could be a giant, supercharged version of Devon Larratt. He's the only one that I'm aware of that has made Levan look human.

I would be shocked if Devon, even at 300 lb, could stop Levan. Levan just absolutely smoked Dave Chaffee recently, who's arguably the strongest arm wrestler in North America.

10. Octavian Beyond Platinum Member

Levan is basically what you get with a human when you push it as far as you can. He will have signficiant health issues within about 5 years - watch. He's unrecognizable today from who he was earlier in his career. It's just a little silly no one wants to talk about it. I don't get any sense Laletin is wildly juicing or taking hormones.

PEB and heloder like this.
  11. heloder Purple Belt

I don't disagree, but it's not just Levan. Who knows who's doing what? Devon Larratt has gained like 75+ pounds of mass since his earlier days as well, and you can see it in his head and hands just as much as his biceps and shoulders. Denis was enormous at his peak, certainly because of PEDs, and suffered serious health problems for it. I'm not going to say Vitaly isn't using PEDs just because it's not obvious on his frame. He's built for the sport, but if he feels he can't compete with Levan, et al, who knows what lengths he's willing to go to.

Octavian likes this.
  12. Hidden_Hand Purple Belt

Unfortunately, Larratt is gonna come in at 300lbs bald-headed monster and 6-0 John like nothing, Devon is notorious for sandbaggig in training and looking weaker then on fight night he is a monster.

Since getting beat by Todd and smoked by Denis he has come back hard and stop the press of Chaffee and violed Todd to get his hammer back. Brzenk has no chance here.

That said John is forever the greatest.

heloder likes this.
  13. PEB Great turntable of space and time dude

MusterX likes this.
  14. ElPadre Blue Belt

Was gonna say the same thing when I saw this thread. It made me wonder what happened to the Russian dude from the movie. Apparently he did bobsledding for a while after. Got caught for alleged doping though. Go figure.

PEB and heavyarms21 like this.
  15. heloder Purple Belt

John isn't wrong about all the theatrics and bullshit that Devon does to wear on his opponents and get to the strap at all costs. Watch their 2015 match again to see Devon with a strap versus without. Without a strap he doesn't (or didn't) have nearly enough hand to deal with John, and tried to slip out. With a strap he can outlast him. The difference in this match versus some of the other matches Devon has had is that John's ridiculous grip put him down before he could slip the last two times.

WAL rules and refs play into Devon's style. He would be lost in Europe.

MusterX likes this.
  16. PEB Great turntable of space and time dude

True John is a freak as far as grip strength goes but Devon coming in bigger and heavier then he was when he took on John in previous matches.

heloder likes this.
  17. PEB Great turntable of space and time dude

18. PEB Great turntable of space and time dude

Lol wrestling meets arm wrestling part 2.

MusterX likes this.
  19. PEB Great turntable of space and time dude

20. PEB Great turntable of space and time dude