John Berardi's "Massive Eating" VS. his "20 Pounds in 20 Weeks"

• Thread starter Deleted member 87037
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 87037

I've been bulking for the past two months. My diet is based on John Berardi's Massive Eating series which puts strong emphasis on only eating protein+carbs or proten+fat with meals (and never p+f+c). I've been following this religiously and have made solid gains in both strength and mass (gained 15lbs so far). After searching T-Nation the other day, I came across his more recent article: 20 pounds in 20 weeks. Now every meal contains protein, fat, and carbs. I'm wondering if, as this is a much more recent article (June 12, 2008), there has been new developments in his research and he has switched stances, or he's just plugging this new diet plan for Gourmet Nutrition sales (which I bought - and very few meals have carbs w/out fat and vice versa). I'd definitely like to eat some protein + fat + carbs meals as it'll give me a chance to actually use the $60 cookbook I purchased, as well as add much needed variety to my diet, though I'm not willing to make the switch if it's less effective than what I'm currently doing. Any thoughts/advice on the subject would be appreciated.

Although I can't answer your question, I would say if its working keep at it. When you stall, switch it up.

If it ain't broken don't try to fix it.

He changes his stances, but everyone is bound to over time as research continues etc

Although I can't answer your question, I would say if its working keep at it. When you stall, switch it up.

Well, I've been 192 for the past 3 weeks, but I look bigger from 3 weeks ago.. Must've been water retention at first, or maybe I'm losing fat now simultaneously as I've added intense cardio 2x a week. ANYWAYS, if I stall - should it really be the diet I change - or the workout routine?

And I agree with both you and Vedic when saying keep to it if it works - I was just wondering how other people on the board were doing as I don't think I've ever read someone here following the P+C/P+F/Never P+C+F principle. I figured it may be outdated and P+C+F might be more effective.

I just made the mixed nut bar from "20 pounds in 20 weeks". They are delicious! These make a great anytime snack.

Well, I've been 192 for the past 3 weeks, but I look bigger from 3 weeks ago.. Must've been water retention at first, or maybe I'm losing fat now simultaneously as I've added intense cardio 2x a week. ANYWAYS, if I stall - should it really be the diet I change - or the workout routine?

And I agree with both you and Vedic when saying keep to it if it works - I was just wondering how other people on the board were doing as I don't think I've ever read someone here following the P+C/P+F/Never P+C+F principle. I figured it may be outdated and P+C+F might be more effective.

I see what you're saying and I'm sorry I cant help. Ive never thought too much about food combinations. I've heard things like "dont eat different meats at the same time," and of course the gracie diet and not eating rice and beans together for example (which I actually realized hurts my stomach but it might just be the beans.) Also, fish and milk is supposedly a big no-no but I had it all the time but never had a problem with it.

As far as the P + F, etc, never tried it and think its way too much for me. Also you make a good point - it might be your workout that needs changing. How long have you been on the same routine? If its more than 8 weeks than go for a change.

If you really feel stalled, but havent been doing this workout for too long, then switch the food. Otherwise, I say switch both. I mean you say you want to eat like that anyway so go for it.

I was just wondering how other people on the board were doing as I don't think I've ever read someone here following the P+C/P+F/Never P+C+F principle. I figured it may be outdated and P+C+F might be more effective.

Well the P+C/P+F/Never P+C+F principle is very popular with cutting. I would say the most likely scenario if anything was to change if you switched to the P+C+F principle would be gaining more fat.

what exactly are you eating? can you give a example of a daily schedule.

what exactly are you eating? can you give a example of a daily schedule.

Sure. Click.

Well the P+C/P+F/Never P+C+F principle is very popular with cutting. I would say the most likely scenario if anything was to change if you switched to the P+C+F principle would be gaining more fat.

Really? Any recent support on this theory? I'd still be eating the same amount of P/C/F, just the pairing would be different. I thought C+F was bad until Berardi's recently published article.

How long have you been on the same routine? If its more than 8 weeks than go for a change.

9-10 weeks I've been on Rippetoe Starting Strength. I'll consult the S&P and see what they think.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I'd stick with what you're doing as long as it works. When it starts to fade off, switch it up a bit.

Back