Joe Rogan's hybrid-TKD/MT round kick

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by nomilkforsanta, May 23, 2014.

1. nomilkforsanta

nomilkforsanta Nathan

Rogan looks very awkward round kicking, I was expecting much cleaner technique due to his previous videos of spin kicks and TKD pedigree. Yes, the pad holder is terrible, however, I have seen my instructor demonstrate perfect technique with terrible pad holders.

2. surgeyou1

surgeyou1 Welcome to the Machida Era...Part Deux

Powerful Joe Rogan

3. Jukai

Jukai Silver Belt

He looks awkward cause he's going for 100% power and it is throwing him off balance.

4. Jing

Jing Black Belt

lmao that's horrific

5. nomilkforsanta

nomilkforsanta Nathan

going 100% should not throw you off balance...almost every MT pro I know kicks pads near 100%.

6. LEGS MAHONEY

LEGS MAHONEY genetically modified man shark

dudes old and is busy smoking dope and all his other shit on tv/podcasts etc,etc

his kicking abilities look about as expected for a guy who hasnt fought in decades and been reduced to a hobbyist

7. aries

aries Silver Belt

I think he looks awkward because like a lot of guys who don't actually use the roundhouse in fights they don't really pay much attention to the recovery and it's the recovery where he's losing his balance. Just like you can tell a competitive boxer from the way he brings his hands back vs. someone who just hits pads or bags.

And yes I know Rogan was a TKD competitor but he didn't use the MT style roundhouse then.

8. TimeZone187

TimeZone187 Green Belt

Wouldn't want to take that to the body personally.

9. nomilkforsanta

nomilkforsanta Nathan

It is a powerful kick for a near 50 year old man (on steroids), I was talking about the lack of balance and rotational timing.

10. NAKMUAY18

NAKMUAY18 Brown Belt

IMO he just looks like a 6-9month beginner or (more likely) somebody that hasn't trained in a very long time. Over exaggerated switch steps, huge tence wind up, and like Aries said, bad recovery. He looks like he has an idea what he should be doing, he just can't make himself do it.

11. nomilkforsanta

nomilkforsanta Nathan

Joe Rogan, besides actively training BJ, hits pads/spars with his pro fighter friends (i.e., duane ludwig).

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  12. PocketNinja

PocketNinja Yellow Belt

He's been saying recently hes taken the last 2 or so years away from kickboxing hitting pads etc because he was focusing on getting his black belt, also not to mention his back/ neck problems hes continually bringing up on the podcast

13. nomilkforsanta

nomilkforsanta Nathan

I know people who have had various operations (hip replacements, spinal fusions,..) and could not train for an extended period of time. THeir technique did not break down that much, and quickly came back after a few months...granted they were already at an elite level.

14. aries

aries Silver Belt

How hard does he spar? I doubt he's going that heavy. As I'm sure you know there can be a big difference between sparring and actual fighting. I remember after my first fight there was immense difference in the way I approached all aspects of training particularly tightening up my defence. Unless guys are punishing him for sloppy form and poor balance then he's not going to put that much effort into fixing them.

15. PocketNinja

PocketNinja Yellow Belt

not disputing that i dont think his technique with basic stuff is as good as its made out to be he was a good tkd practitioner you can see that in hook kicks etc but the tkd roundhouse is so different to the Thai style and you can see that in his technique not being that polished but the guy is nearly 50

16. sk00pie

sk00pie White Belt

I've seen several other Rogan videos where he displays very impressive form and power when performing TKD kicks. I'm surprised his round kick form lacked a lot of technique, seemed as it if only focused on power. I have no doubt they had some big power, but it seems like if the pads were moved he had no balance and would have slipped and fell on his back.

17. Vil7

Vil7 Silver Belt

I've seen him look a lot more competent in videos from not too long ago. My guess was he was out of practice or had some kind of recent injury.

18. Jukai

Jukai Silver Belt

Rogan isn't a pro...

19. Bme26

Bme26 Green Belt

That's one hell of a wind up he had there. Can't see this being effective, unless my opponent is on wobbly legs, standing infront of me, idled.

20. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

I think the poss poor pad holding played a roll. Nothing makes you hesitate more than a shitty pad holder.