Joe Rogan talks John Danaher

If strength and conditioning weren't important old guys with wicked technique would be the current champions.

Most sports in their infancy discredits the benefits of weight lifting. I know it was the case in Baseball. I guess it is the stigma attached to moving heavy weights around. Huur durr he must be boarish and slow minded.

More and more younger guys are incorporating S&C programs into their routine. The sport will continue to evolve and people will not solely use BJJ anymore. Next thing they might even incorporate takedowns. :p

isn't there a Rickson quote something like, "fatigue, is the strongest submission hold"

Yep. The only thing you can control going into a fight is the shape you're in.

i dunno mybe he said that but if so he likely ripped it off karl gotch who said "conditioning is your greatest hold"

Most sports in their infancy discredits the benefits of weight lifting. I know it was the case in Baseball. I guess it is the stigma attached to moving heavy weights around. Huur durr he must be boarish and slow minded.

This is surprisingly true.

I remember reading that Leo Vieira just sparred A LOT at a very high intensity when he had that really good run at the ADCC in 2003.

Then again a lot of the guys at the top such as Cobrinha (I think) do strength/cardio training.

Leo is also a freak athlete as far as BJJ goes.

I think a lot of the idea of not training S&C comes down to time available.

If you train twice a week BJJ and twice a week S&C, I absolutely believe you will get better faster doing 4 times BJJ instead.

But if you have more time, 4 or 5 times BJJ a week PLUS S&C is better of course.

Of course S&C helps, but they are no substitute for mat time.

S.C is there to support your technique. That being said, most if not all of the top grapplers do S&C.

More and more younger guys are incorporating S&C programs into their routine. The sport will continue to evolve and people will not solely use BJJ anymore. Next thing they might even incorporate takedowns. :p

eh?

i dunno mybe he said that but if so he likely ripped it off karl gotch who said "conditioning is your greatest hold"

Those two phrases arent that similar. Leave it to a catch guy to start some stupid shit about "rippin it off" Gotch.

S & C is important for keeping your joints safe and helps in the durability of your body.This alone is reason to do it. I'm trying to do Jiu-Jitsu/Judo for the rest of my life.

I think S&C has a place as a SMALL part of your overall training, as a supplement. Rest of the time you should be rolling your balls off. And I'll say it, guys who yell the loudest about the massive importance of S&C (in GENERAL) try to compensate for technique with power/aggressiveness, etc.

He walks with a slight limp, and sometimes refers to his "gimp leg", that I know from his classes.

Back