Joe Rogan talks John Danaher

Drew Foster

Silver Belt
Reaction score
Off the podcast with Redban and the always hilarious Joey Diaz, who seems to know a lot about NZ John for a stand up comic. Also some talk on technique, Danaher teching the Darce, Camarillo, the Prayer Guillotine, coaching fighters, Roger, Rickson, etc. But it's all based around Danaher and his ideas. Real cool.

Joey Diaz - redban, Recorded on 10/26/10 Joe_Rogan on USTREAM. Comedy

At 1:47:20

Talk goes until

1:54:50

Last edited:
Interesting and I completely agree with Rogan's points about technique and strenght/conditioning.

My Instructor always says that the best way to get your strength and conditioning up up BJJ is to do BJJ. A lot of people seem to ignore that fact.

but can you execute the technique properly if you're not in shape?
Maybe can execute a move perfectly when i'm fresh, but after 30 minutes of hard rolling -will you still perform perfect technique?

Maybe... unless you're Rickson.

Maybe can execute a move perfectly when i'm fresh, but after 30 minutes of hard rolling -will you still perform perfect technique?

if you roll 30 minutes enough times:D

I do bjj/judo because it is fun, the exercise is a bonus

lol @ "crazy gogoplata rubberguard sweep shit"

That's why you spar consistently and get in shape...

My Instructor always says that the best way to get your strength and conditioning up up BJJ is to do BJJ. A lot of people seem to ignore that fact.

A lot of people probably ignore it because most people probably know you can get better conditioning by specifically training for it. People who do bjj only, for the most part, are not in the greatest shape.

I disagree with that, at least with the strength part.

You could make an argument for the conditioning part, but the strongest people I roll with are the ones that work on their strength outside of bjj.

You could make an argument for the conditioning part, but the strongest people I roll with are the ones that work on their strength outside of bjj.

I remember reading that Leo Vieira just sparred A LOT at a very high intensity when he had that really good run at the ADCC in 2003.

Then again a lot of the guys at the top such as Cobrinha (I think) do strength/cardio training.

Regarding Strength and Conditioning: think of all our movement as just movement. Doing BJJ? It's movements. Lifting weight? That's movement. Here is the important part, movement with weight, adds more muscle. Because, it progressively overloads the body! And, as a result, your body responds to stress and gets stronger.

So, while you can get stronger by increasing the intensity of rolls, this is a road that ends sooner than later. However, when we stress with more force (weight) we can gain even more strength.

Further, endurance is a type of strength. The stronger you are, the more endurance you have, to a limit.

Read this series, that's a guy who gets Strength and Conditioning and how it can aid BJJ:

Strength & Conditioning for Jiu-Jitsu Part II by Leo Morton : Inside BJJ

Strength & Conditioning for Jiu-Jitsu Part III by Leo Morton : Inside BJJ

Strength conditioning has done wonders for my game, I feel stronger and I am also able to roll longer without muscle exhaustion. I will never do BJJ without lifting weights a couple of days a week again.

From 1:50-1:50:15 Rogan says S&C is important.

I don't know where all this talk about not training cardio and strength is coming from....

Thanks for the Leo Vieira story. Didn't know that.

I also think Marcelo Garcia just rolled up until the 09 Abu Dhabis. But I've also heard he never does S&C period. Oh well...

isn't there a Rickson quote something like, "fatigue, is the strongest submission hold"

Back