Joe Rogan: Reyes clearly won 3 rounds, but on the School Yard Jon Won

This reinforces Joe’s sentiment about not wanting time limits on fights, I personally understand why we do. But Joes right, if there were more rounds Jones would have had Reyes done in the next two
You can't predict that, Reyes trained for 5 rounds not 7. This is like people saying Khabib might not do as well if he was in a ring but he trains for a cage not a ring. Saying what would have happen under additional rounds that don't exist is ridiculous.

There was a time 5 round fights were only championship fights, in the spirit of that it wouldn't be terrible if 4-5 were worth more. Ok bud
Joe Rogan on winning championship rounds being more important: “I KNOW THIS IS A DUMB WAYTO THINK ABOUT IT.”

You can't predict that, Reyes trained for 5 rounds not 7. This is like people saying Khabib might not do as well if he was in a ring but he trains for a cage not a ring. Saying what would have happen under additional rounds that don't exist is ridiculous.
That’s fair.
My point is that I agree withRogan, and he isn’t wrong in that if there wasn’t any time limits that fight could have gone very differently. That at the 25th minute the fight would not have stopped and Jones would still be chasing down and landing on an absolutely exhausted Reyes. And from speculation on the current situation that wouldn’t have lasted much longer for Reyes. Again it’s pure speculation from years of fight experience. I’ve never claimed it to be fact.
So to say that I couldn’t predict what would happen is true. But you can really apply that about anything. And Sherdog is here for discussion.

I don't see how scoring by rounds as opposed to scoring as a whole or scoring in any other way makes the UFC a sport or not. I remember when refusing to resign John Fitch made the UFC not a sport. Same thing, both were just using an arbitrary definition of the word sport to complain about something they didn't like in the sport.
There was a whole documentary on this. Fertitas worked with the commission to come up with a set of rules and guidelines so it would seem more like a sport and make it mainstream. Some changes were to include requirements to wear gloves, illegal shots, and scoring by rounds.

Wow what is Rogan saying here.. 'if the fight goes till the death Jones wins'.

Dude aren't we a sport with rounds and rules ?

Yes Reyes put more effort in the first 15 minutes.. now what we give double he points to the last 5 minutes in a championship fight ?

Hey Joe using that logic Diaz won that second Conor fight.

Doesn't matter if Jon would've won the school yard or whatever that meant.
Reyes should've got the nod... or at the very least it could've been classed a draw.
The same could've been said for Gilbert Burns Vs Alekey Kunchenko. Dominated first two rounds and then survived for his life in the 3rd while Kunchenko was trying to kill him.
And again Zabit struggling to survive against Kattar as he ran for his life while outpointing in the first two rounds.
And again when Overeem got that win against Werdum even though Werdum nearly slept him and Overeem would've been fucked in the fourth round had it existed.

This isn't a valid argument. They train for a 5 round sport contest. Not a limitless street brawl to the death. Reyes won the contest.

Here's a thought Joe, if the fight was scored that way maybe just maaaybe Reyes would've adjusted his pace and strategy more?

Back