Joe Rogan: Renaissance Man, An Interview With SB Nation

Hardkore

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/6/5/5762052/joe-rogan-interview-mma-ufc

Awesome fascinating interview with the longtime UFC commentator. Joe voices his opinions on the current state of MMA, controversial subjects like TUE, the Vitor Belfort situation, weight cutting, and brain damage in combat sports. He also talks about subjects outside MMA, like his stand up, his obesssion with archery, and his desire to be subsisting on wild game by the end of 2014. Great interview and read, but it is long. Enjoy!

rogan is the furthest thing from a "renaissance man" i can think of rofl

watch his jre podcasts with barnett and you see the difference between who actually is educated and knows stuff and somebody who can only speak in most general terms about things

i have fallen off a bit from his podcasts (really enjoyed his first 200 or so)

but common, the dude is very well spoken and definitely is able to convey some "deep" "outside the box" ideas/concepts, that many people have thought about, but not really discussed.

for example how humanity is basically a bacteria that is consuming the earth. when you look at the world a whole

watch his jre podcasts with barnett and you see the difference between who actually is educated and knows stuff and somebody who can only speak in most general terms about things

Do you know what a renaissance man is? They are generally knowledgeable in many subjects. Joe definitely has mastery of a few subjects, and can speak in "general terms" about many more. I think it's right on the money.

but common, the dude is very well spoken and definitely is able to convey some "deep" "outside the box" ideas/concepts, that many people have thought about, but not really discussed.

for example how humanity is basically a bacteria that is consuming the earth. when you look at the world a whole

This is true.

Rogan definitely has a lot of interests in a variety of areas and seems to be pretty successful in whatever he attempts to do.

i love rogan after watching the podcasts and getting to see ones where theyre talking during fights hes not attending really gives an insight as to how much joe loves mma
i used to by into the rogan is biased blah blah blah bs but after hearing and watching the podcasts i felt like a complete moron

I have to disagree, a lot of subjects he talks about one can discern that's he's spent some considerable time reading about it and gathering data.

Please stop, I have literally listened to every JRE podcast and there are numerous topics that he has an extensive knowledge. Go read a book IN THE CORNER!

The podcast is still evolving, comparing the first 200 to now is light and day. The production is way more professional and the podcast guests have been more diverse in variety of fields.

Please stop, I have literally listened to every JRE podcast and there are numerous topics that he has an extensive knowledge. Go read a book IN THE CORNER!

I haven't listened to every podcast, maybe 90% but when I first started listening to it, I frequently found myself astonished how knowledgable he was in a variety of subjects and how articulate he is.

It's 2014 and we're still doing 20 page written interviews? How about fuck you.

The podcast is still evolving, comparing the first 200 to now is light and day. The production is way more professional and the podcast guests have been more diverse in variety of fields.

Exactly, it just gets better and better!

It's 2014 and we're still doing 20 page written interviews? How about fuck you.

What's the big deal? A little reading never killed anyone, besides it's a good read IMO

Exactly, it just gets better and better!

Steven Rinella is my favorite guest. The Randall Carlson podcast was the best one ever, truly fascinating on the subject of climate change and ancient civilizations.

Thanks for the share, TS. The UFC is insanely lucky to have Joe Rogan, and as a lifelong viewer of pretty much all major televised sports, I'd say that knowledge-wise, he is among the very best color commentators in broadcast sports, period. I do think he's gone a little overboard with some of the yelling and stuff over the past few years (which unfortunately Kenny Florian has picked up as well), but he is super smart and is really good at explaining what's happening. He's elementary enough for new fans but detailed enough for veteran fans, so he brings something for everyone.

Some of the previous posts have questioned how much he knows about how many topics, but honestly he is honest and forthright about his views, and if he doesn't know, he'll say so. Even in this interview, he says "I'm too dumb to have an opinion" on one of the questions asked.

I have a ton of respect for Rogan and find him to be just as credible as anyone in MMA, if not all sports.

Joe Rogan reminds me of myself, only way more successful.

Steven Rinella is my favorite guest. The Randall Carlson podcast was the best one ever, truly fascinating on the subject of climate change and ancient civilizations.

Yeah Rinella is pretty funny in his own right. They have some good stories, I also liked the recent Maxwell one he did, a lot of great information.

Thanks for the share, TS. The UFC is insanely lucky to have Joe Rogan, and as a lifelong viewer of pretty much all major televised sports, I'd say that knowledge-wise, he is among the very best color commentators in broadcast sports, period. I do think he's gone a little overboard with some of the yelling and stuff over the past few years (which unfortunately Kenny Florian has picked up as well), but he is super smart and is really good at explaining what's happening. He's elementary enough for new fans but detailed enough for veteran fans, so he brings something for everyone.

Some of the previous posts have questioned how much he knows about how many topics, but honestly he is honest and forthright about his views, and if he doesn't know, he'll say so. Even in this interview, he says "I'm too dumb to have an opinion" on one of the questions asked.

I have a ton of respect for Rogan and find him to be just as credible as anyone in MMA, if not all sports.

Exactly, this right here!

You're most welcome and great post 100% agreed.

Back