Media Joe Rogan: People who said Conor is old, done, unmotivated don’t know anything about MMA

Calm down Joe. No one is saying that hyperbolic stuff. But they are saying that he is:
- oldER: this is important as he will he out for a year. With a difficult injury to come back from to full strength. To think there isn’t a slight chance he may not return to his current status is just blind.
- unmotivated: the guy hasn’t evolved. Admittedly his last camp was spent drilling guillotines. Freaking guillotines. The bjj equivalent to to the headlock in wrestling. He has several businesses that must require a significant amount of time, a family, etc. Conor is not going to grimy bjj or other types of classes, and getting beat around by black belts to expand his knowledge. Does this make him unmotivated? Idk. Up to you to decide. But there is absolutely some merit to it and to dismiss it like rogan did is just stupid
-done: what does this even mean? He may not be done but you can’t fault anyone for thinking he’s not back at the Alvarez spanking level. And that’s how Conor himself speaks; like hes that fighter, if not better

Pretty simplistic and lazy piece by rogan

but Atleast it provided some comedy. He tried to say that because Conor fought Cowboy cerrone and he’s rich, that he is an animal. Wow. Then he said that Floyd only fought chumps when he had money. What? Floyd was richer than conor when he fought manny. And Floyd is old as Ef. Conor is 33. What a ridiculous and stupid comparison. He doesn’t realize that Conor’s whole aura relies on him still fighting at the moment. That is how he stays relevant and continues his brand. His fights are a showcase for his persona to further his whiskey and other businesses. It’s smart. But it’s not savage. The wins or losses don’t matter as much as the fight week ability to showcase his brand. He may have overshot that a bit this past time. But to call it savage is just a simpleton take

Last edited:
Dustin still would have won the second fight by brutal KO, so saying he's washed up wouldn't apply. Dustin beating up Conor before the leg break in the third fight would still be a thing since we're only changing the ending. Sorry Mean Gene.
How do we know what would have happened if Conor never broke his leg? We dont. He "lost" the first/ most of the second round to Chad and the 3rd to Nate much more emphatically and still came back and won. Im sure if Conor broke his leg at the end of the round 3 Diaz match, you would have thought it was a sure thing he was done.

And lets say Dustin beats Conor 100/100 times now on. So what? How does that mean Conor is "washed up"? Dustin is currently favored over Charles for their title match - not exactly like losing to Dustin is proof of anyone being washed up. Not being the best LW, especially when you walk around at 168, does not mean you are "washed up". I even remember when BJ lost to GSP at WW and ppl said the same thing. Conor really belongs at 145, but he probably will not go there as he is too dead set on revenge and proving people wrong. Losing to the best guys is no evidence of lack of motivation or being washed up whatsoever.

Joe keeps proving about once a month he is a hyperbolic shill who's high more often than not and can't decipher what's going on in a fight most of the time. What other yes men is he going to have on his pod soon to act as his echo chamber outside of the guests on his pod that he just agrees with endlessly? Guy is fucking useless. Yes he's popular but he's lowest common denominator fodder at this point. Come at me bros. IDGAF.

pretty spot on, imho. I used to really enjoy his podcast because he used bring on good sources of knowledge about a lot of things im interested in. It’s unbearable now and has been for sometime. Not sure if it’s age catching up with him or his steady doses of chemical cocktails he’s on but i can’t stand his pod or commentary much anymore.

How do we know what would have happened if Conor never broke his leg? We dont. He "lost" the first/ most of the second round to Chad and the 3rd to Nate much more emphatically and still came back and won. Im sure if Conor broke his leg at the end of the round 3 Diaz match, you would have thought it was a sure thing he was done.

And lets say Dustin beats Conor 100/100 times now on. So what? How does that mean Conor is "washed up"? Dustin is currently favored over Charles for their title match - not exactly like losing to Dustin is proof of anyone being washed up. Not being the best LW, especially when you walk around at 168, does not mean you are "washed up". I even remember when BJ lost to GSP at WW and ppl said the same thing. Conor really belongs at 145, but he probably will not go there as he is too dead set on revenge and proving people wrong. Losing to the best guys is no evidence of lack of motivation or being washed up whatsoever.
It’s all relative. Washed up is a subjective term. Conor maybe beats a guy or 2 in the top 10 now at 155. Is that washed up? Of course not. But it’s not up to the standard that he alone set for himself. And unmotivated is also subjective. Clearly Conor is fired up as all get up in the few weeks leading up to his fights. Conor 8.0 right? And no one will preach that more than himself. But we all know the real work comes from grinding for months to evolve. Talk is cheap. Motivation to me means putting in the long hours at unglamorous times. Conor seems to have eschewed this approach. Doesn’t necessarily make him unmotivated but likely not on par with the rest of the division. It’s all relative. The guy who finishes last this olympics at the 100m dash, isn’t slow per se…

Joe is right. This was the best Conor ever and Dustin finished him twice. Dustin is the much better fighter. Period.
If Max rematches Conor, he is going to slaughter him too.

It’s all relative. Washed up is a subjective term. Conor maybe beats a guy or 2 in the top 10 now at 155. Is that washed up? Of course not. But it’s not up to the standard that he alone set for himself. And unmotivated is also subjective. Clearly Conor is fired up as all get up in the few weeks leading up to his fights. Conor 8.0 right? And no one will preach that more than himself. But we all know the real work comes from grinding for months to evolve. Talk is cheap. Motivation to me means putting in the long hours at unglamorous times. Conor seems to have eschewed this approach. Doesn’t necessarily make him unmotivated but likely not on par with the rest of the division. It’s all relative. The guy who finishes last this olympics at the 100m dash, isn’t slow per se…

Maybe you are right. Maybe you are not. Sadly, that last fight did not answer many questions for me, nor do I think losing to the #1 contender can tell alot either. Maybe Conor beats Dustin in the rematch and claims the title, or maybe he gets steam rolled and break his arm by Frankie old man Edgar at this point. I just think some people are way too overly hyperbolic and confident with their assessments on Conor and have always been this way. The fact he proved so many wrong, so often, is exactly why he receives so much vitriol. His career has always been people saying he could not do something, then he does it, then haters move the goal posts: "cant become a champion.....well, cant become a champ-champ..... well, cant do it in the UFC, etc".

The reason he was the richest athlete in the world this past year was not because his whiskey is so awesome, it is because he has defied the odds so often and did the unthinkable, made the fans and haters tune in at an unprecedented rate. I know all the posters that were saying he would never beat Aldo/Nate 2/Aldo/DP/Mendes/etc, and ironically, they were all the ones celebrating him breaking his leg and are now spewing this hyperbole, claiming to have all the answers again. So, if you want to put a cap on his limitations, by all means do so, I just am not ready to definitively declare what his limitations are. This is fighting, after all, and anything can happen.

Last edited:
Maybe you are right. Maybe you are not. Sadly, that last fight did not answer many questions for me, nor do I think losing to the #1 contender can tell alot either. Maybe Conor beats Dustin in the rematch and claims the title, or maybe he gets steam rolled and break his arm by Frankie old man Edgar at this point. I just think some people are way too overly hyperbolic and confident with their assessments on Conor and have always been this way. The fact he proved so many wrong, so often, is exactly why he receives so much vitriol. His career has always been people saying he could not do something, then he does it, then haters move the goal posts: "cant become a champion.....well, cant become a champ-champ..... well, cant do it in the UFC, etc".

The reason he was the richest athlete in the world this past year was not because his whiskey is o awesome, it is because he has defied the odds so often and done the unthinkable, mad the fan and haters tune in at an unprecedented rate. I know all the posters that were saying he would never beat Aldo/Nate 2/Aldo/DP/Mendes/etc, and ironically, they were all the ones celebrating him breaking his leg and are now spewing this hyperbole with all the answers. So, if you want to put a cap on his limitations, by all means do so, I just am not ready to definitively declare what his limitations are. This is fighting, after all, and anything can happen.
Fair. But that’s a bit of a what if. Most of the evidence presented to as of late does not support a revitalization. Conor is thriving on the “what if” at the moment. It sells. And it’s impossible to disprove. I’ll move on and use the current evidence that I don’t think he will get back to Alvarez whooping form. If he proves me wrong, then good on him and good for his beloved fans. I won’t root against that. I don’t think I have to at this juncture in time…

And Conor defying the odds was just being a severe underdog. But he hadn’t truly lost yet. He was on a meteoric rise. He had not presented ample evidence of a down turn, like he has of late. Unfortunately I think your comparison is really apples and oranges

Well that's funny because I have heard Josh Thomson and many other trainers and fighters say just that. I guess they don't know anything about MMA.

Well, it's nice to hear a voice that can lift conor up.

It's not impossible but the odds are against him.

Way to kill discussion.

I think its very important today to break like-minded-bubble around you because that is not healthy. Sometimes shit is complex.

"If you want to talk, I'm going to let you talk. Because, now, I know everything I know, and I know everything you know. " - Jocko Willink

Way to kill discussion.

I think its very important today to break like-minded-bubble around you because that is not healthy. Sometimes shit is complex.

"If you want to talk, I'm going to let you talk. Because, now, I know everything I know, and I don't know everything you know. " - Jocko Willink
Fixed

He’s not wrong. People are really just exaggerating his last performances. He got his ass kicked by Khabib and Poirier but there are definitely some top guys he can still beat. His biggest mistake was moving up to 155 permanently

The reason he was the richest athlete in the world this past year was not because his whiskey is o awesome, it is because he has defied the odds so often and done the unthinkable, mad the fan and haters tune in at an unprecedented rate. I know all the posters that were saying he would never beat Aldo/Nate 2/Aldo/DP/Mendes/etc, and ironically, they were all the ones celebrating him breaking his leg and are now spewing this hyperbole with all the answers. So, if you want to put a cap on his limitations, by all means do so, I just am not ready to definitively declare what his limitations are. This is fighting, after all, and anything can happen.

Again, you are venting grievances with some imaginary strawmen posters rather than arguing with the actual posts in this thread. The topics here are Conor’s level of motivation and Rogan’s take on it.

Back