Joe Rogan on Simone Biles and her Ritalin dependency

She has 27 world gold medals where she didn't quit. People aren't only the sum of their worst moments.
Olympics is the biggest stage. No one remembers a thing about Mary Lou Retton or Carl Lewis, except for their performance in the Olympics. Simone Bails will be remembered for quitting. FACT!

I'm saying the rules should be consistent for all the games.
I agree, but also view the Olympics as arbitrary to being with. Let's say your country wins the Olympics. In a 4-year time frame, your country has more individuals who can swim faster and jump higher than the other countries. Beyond the spectacle, what does that even mean?

Japan is very strict on drugs of all sorts, watch Mar Kerr try to get his pain killer in Smashing Machine I think. No bueno senior, they shut him down.

Olympics is the biggest stage. No one remembers a thing about Mary Lou Retton or Carl Lewis, except for their performance in the Olympics. Simone Bails will be remembered for quitting. FACT!
She won gold medals at the Brazil Olympics.

And attaining/maintaining that focus could be the difference between a Gold medal, or being on the sidelines as a cheerleader. Total PED advantage.
I guess does IOC basically self-govern PED testing and what's allowed? someone here earlier said Justin Gatlin was suspended years ago for ritalin or something, so maybe rules are different at each olympics (some consistent level of corruption though I assume)

Amphetamines are banned in competition because THEY WORK. It isn't one of the most sought after TUEs in MLB and the PGA Tour because they don't work. Hell, even fighter pilots are HANDED the shit. They are highly effective and gives an edge to athletes in a game of inches.

I agree, but also view the Olympics as arbitrary to being with. Let's say your country wins the Olympics. In a 4-year time frame, your country has more individuals who can swim faster and jump higher than the other countries. Beyond the spectacle, what does that even mean?

Oh I agree. It's not a major issue to me. Just in general for sports I think it's important to keep rules consistent. In fact the more important issue really should be that these people get paid properly. It amazes me that they can even find enough athletes to compete in this sort of stuff.

I guess does IOC basically self-govern PED testing and what's allowed? someone here earlier said Justin Gatlin was suspended years ago for ritalin or something, so maybe rules are different at each olympics (some consistent level of corruption though I assume)

No, I'm not a PED/IOC expert but I believe WADA administers PED testing duties for all IOC events. With regard to Gatlin, I would assume he was not granted a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) from WADA/USADA like Biles has for anxiety, so Gatlin violated WADA policy and got penalized. Regardless of having a TUE from WADA, Ritalin is against the law in Japan for anything other sleep disorders, so having a TUE from WADA for anxiety doesn't matter - Japan says no. Biles has known the Olympics would be in Japan since the IOC awarded it to them in September 2013.

The working title for Avengers Infinity War/Endgame was "Mary Lou". Because the Russo brothers were given direction to "stick the landing'.

As someone who had bottles of those pills for years i can tell you with full certainty that the dosage affects their effects. 20 mg might treat adhd but 100 mg is a different thing entirely and your body processes meth very quickly, hard to determine how much was ingested without seeing it go into the body being tested.

They took her crutch and she fell over, not sure why so many people are trying to make this into something more.

She basically won 4 medals while on hard amphetamines, and the one time she is forced to compete sober she quits.

Sober? You are obviously ignorant of what ADD medication does. If you have ADD (I do) taking amphetamine medication doesn't enhance you and certainly doesn't get you "High or Drunk".

so she's been cheating her whole life? what's the angle here?

She has 27 world gold medals where she didn't quit. People aren't only the sum of their worst moments.
because world golds changed over the years, nobody uses that as a benchmark.

Olympic medals is what is counted for GOAT status, what Simone proclaims to be, and is not.

i don't see how ritalin isn't performance-enhancing.

Back