Joe Rogan on Russian sports "All Their athletes are amateurs"

Winebrandt

White Belt
@White
Reaction score

Timestamped..
Joe Rogan is saying "we have to realise that their best athletes are all amateurs.. They don't have professional sports"

Matt Brown: boxing?

Rogan: "yeah, but that's it, they don't have.. well they have mma too Fedor obviously right but they don't have like NFL, NBA, Major league Baseball, HOCKEY.. they don't have like this professional venue like we do over here, so a lot of their greatest athletes go into amateur Olympics so they are juicing these people up for Soviet glory...

I like Joe and i find his podcast very good when he has interesting guests but to say that Russia don't have professional sports or a professional venue is very ignorant. First of all, the sports he is mentioning NBA (Basketball), MLB (Baseball), NFL(American Football) is almost exclusively played in Usa, there are very few European players in those sports..

Hockey.. The Russian hockey league is only 2nd to NHL and Russia has a very strong national hockey team (they won the world cup 2009, 2012, 2014) with many players playing in KHL.. They regularly have top 10 draft picks (5 since 2010) and in the 2004 draft Ovechkin was no.1 and Malkin was no.2 and they became big stars..

Their football league (Soccer for Americans) holds a higher level of playing than MLS and is ranked statistically better by the american web news Blecher report
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1458287-ranking-the-top-20-world-football-leagues-statistically

Russia and northern Europe favors track and field, and winter sports like skiing (because the american sports are not popular in Europe) and you can compete in competitions other than the Olympics.. Where they are very successful..

EDIT: I should have waited a little, i think he just thinks that you need to stay "amateur" on paper to be able to compete, like in boxing. He did however say that Russia dont have hockey.. Thank you for all your replies

Last edited:
Pro Soccer

Jesus Christ... Joe talking out of his arse again.

So Joe was ignorant on this particular subject and spoke with authority when he didn't really know what he was talking about.

And?

He’s fuckin retarded.

Joe...

giphy.gif

A) Rogan hyperbole, is normal.

B) Who's the Yakuza wannabe in your AV.

Amateur or pro, they're juiced to the gills. They start them in programs at 13 and start to pump them full of all kinds of test.

Russians are very good at hockey, yea. Their football team is OK, their league is not something that anyone really cares about and is hardly comparable to the NFL and it's like.

So on some points I think he's right, but I reckon it's more about the glory of going into the olympics than actually a lack of professional venues.

Joe is a hack, this is known.

Hilarious how Joe says it so matter of fact ..

It's also a total shit hole, with a GDP smaller than other shit holes like Brazil, despite having the most natural resources of any other country in the world.

Russians are very good at hockey, yea. Their football team is OK, their league is not something that anyone really cares about and is hardly comparable to the NFL and it's like.

So on some points I think he's right, but I reckon it's more about the glory of going into the olympics than actually a lack of professional venues.

lol you must've not understood all of it.
the russian football league i sbetter than the MLS and their participate in the champions league, which generates more revenue than NFL and whose final is more watched than the superball or whatever the fuck it's called. (I know it must come as a shock to you, but check it)
Rogan is ignorant on this subject, as on many others, and people who don't know any better believe him
EDIT : i did a bit of research on the subject and the champions league's final audience is 3x the superball audience, so it's MUCH bigger

Last edited:
God forbid Joe is wrong about something. This celebrity worship is annoying

lol you must've not understood all of it.
the russian football league i sbetter than the MLS and their participate in the champions league, which generates more revenue than NFL and whose final is more watched than the superball or whatever the fuck it's called. (I know it must come as a shock to you, but check it)
Rogan is ignorant on this subject, as on many others, and people who don't know any better believe him
Nobody even considers MLS an actual sport though. I know like 5 people that have actually been to a game, and they probably got free tickets.

Russia and northern Europe favors track and field, and winter sports like skiing (because the american sports are not popular in Europe) and you can compete in competitions other than the Olympics.. Where they are very successful..
Which is what he was trying to say. You're nitpicking, bad thread.

Too often I listen to a podcast and then see someone make a thread about maybe the most trivial and forgettable 30 seconds of the whole thing. Sad, especially considering this was a great podcast.

You could've made a thread about the 10,000 positive things they said

Back