Joe Rogan: "McGregor has an illegitimate belt. Ok? It's a made-up belt."

The only reason McGregor has a 'belt', is because he said he wouldn't cut the weight to fight Mendes, unless he got something else out of it. That's literally it. He complained, and he got one. Then all these 'fans' show up, claiming it was because Aldo pulled out again. Guess what? Aldo still fights more often than a lot of champs do, and he didn't deserve to have that shit pulled on him.

Rogan is increasingly out of date. The UFC would be better without him.

I really enjoy Conor's presence in the UFC, and even I totally agree with Rogan. It's a marketing tool, not a world title.

The interim title serves its purpose. Firstly, it concretes the fact that McGregor is the only fighter in the division with a guaranteed fight against Aldo next.

Secondly, it puts a time limit on Aldo's title. If he doesn't show up for the fight, McGregor will be promoted to undisputed champion or will fight Somone else for the undisputed title.

I agree 100%. People cry about Bellator being embarrassing for MMA but I have never been more embarrassed than McGregor as champ.... Also was only going to miss one fight (not 1 or 2 years like other times the interim belt was made)

Haha.

Looks like swooning-over-magnificent-creatures Joe has a twin, not-giving-a-flying-fuck one. Let's call him, for example, Jesse Rogan.

I like Jesse.

haha. I assume it has something to do with which drugs he's on that day, but I like the twin thing, for sure.

I think I might have actually posted that McGoobs has a twin that he uses for weighins 2 months ago, come to think of it....

I think this belt isn't meaningful in the slightest.

tumblr_mdxstur3l41qg1bxbo7_250.gif

But is it ok to talk about the belt like that, when it's not there to defend itself?

The belts themselves are simply marketing. I've seen enough fights to form my own opinion about who the best fighter in each weight class is, and I don't need a flashy gold symbol to tell me who.

Interim belts are an even bigger joke but MMA fans are dumb and are highly influenced by them as a marketing tool.

Take a deep breath. Actually think before you type for once. Given that he is part of the hype machine then isn't a balancing comment to question the legitimacy of a key part of that hype?

Lol are you fucking serious? I said in this thread on the first page that if Joe Rogan made this comment it was because he had to remain serious to the eyes of people. Seems closer to a Public Relation thing.

There is no doubt that taking a short notice fight is a challenge. Most guys seem up for it, and I always give them a bit of credit for taking it even if they lose. But the logic of your argument says that the results of every short notice fight are illegitimate.

No it doesn't, the logic of my argument is that if Mendes knew he had a fight on this date he would've destroyed Conor.

I am assuming you are being purposefully stupid for the purposes of trolling.

I'm assuming you're categorizing me and reducing what I say to what pleases you, for the purpose of being right on the internet.

No other FW deserves a title shot more than McGregor right now. Poirier, Holloway, and Mendes is a better set of wins than Edgar's Faber, Swanson, and Oliviera.

There's atleast 2 people who deserved the title shot much more, before UFC 189 happened. Now that he beat a guy he wouldn't have beaten under regular circumstances, he seems like the right candidate, doesn't make it legitimate.

I think Edgar was more deserving of coming in at short notice than Mendes by far. He and Holloway are the other guys with good claims to contendership at FW.

And under such circumstances, I think Edgar is still more deserving than Conor, to be honest.

The interim title serves its purpose. Firstly, it concretes the fact that McGregor is the only fighter in the division with a guaranteed fight against Aldo next.

Yep, I'd much rather have an interim belt than a promise of getting the next title shot!

Interim belts are odd, and their value differs depending on the situation.

At the very least they serve as placeholders for a fight with the actual champion.
Promoter's stopgap, nothing more, but most fans don't need much reality to hold on to.

I tend to think McGregor was awarded the interim belt for two reasons. it helps promote him and his eventual fight with Aldo, and it may serve as a warning to Aldo against pulling out of the next fight.

However, things like the champ being being sidelined due to injury go on a lot longer in other divisions without an interim belt being introduced. I think McGregor is a good and interesting fighter and the clear number one contender, but I see little justification for him being awarded an interim belt.

I think it was the reasons you said and also because fans were paying to see Conor fight for a belt. They wanted to keep that theme. But I absolutely think it is a way of telling Aldo if you can't fight again we already have an interim belt holder we can just make champ.

How could you not agree with him? The only reason his fight was for an interim title was so that it could reasonably remain the main event.

Aldo fought nine months before. There was absolutely no reason for an interim.

May as well have just called it the Cloner belt.

Even if Chad won, it wouldn't be surprising if they still gave Mc the belt.

It's a McBelt.

The circumstances around the creation of this interim belt are unprecedented. The only times they ever created interim belts so fast (less than a yr) was extreme circumstances, such as Couture leaving the UFC (understandable) or when Mir had a motorcycle accident & they knew he would be out 18 months or longer. The UFC has never done this with any other champs, when the current champs last defense was just 8 months ago. That tells you all you need to know about the validity of this interim belt.

Having said that, Conor has a legit shot at winning the real belt. For now though, its absolutely true that his belt is not the real belt

Yes, Conor's success is made up, he's a uni-dimensional fighter that got propulsed by the UFC's hype machine and networks. He got a title-shot that he didn't deserve in the first place, and then fought a Chad Mendes who knew that in 2 weeks he had this fight, it doesn't matter if Conor wasn't training specifically for Chad, because compared to Chad he was still training to fight at that specific date.

You realize Conor has had a harder road to the title than any of Aldo's previous opponents, right? Go on, look it up and tell me who was dispatching of tougher fighters. Lamas is the only guy who comes close.

I love how Conor haters just blatantly make shit up.

Back