Joe Rogan: If I were in charge I’d fix weight-cutting first

If everyone can do it, how can it be considered cheating?

Source: Joe Rogan recently argued that the effects of weight cutting are more beneficial than using PEDs;

“(Cutting weight) is cheating at a much higher scale even than PEDs. If you get two people and they both weigh 135 but they’re both totally hydrated and one of them has been doing steroids and one of them hasn’t been doing steroids, the difference will be far less than if one person weighs in at 135 but then balloons up to 160 and then gets into that octagon at 160 but there’s no PEDs involved. That’s a much greater advantage than someone whose doing some sort of testosterone thing or something."

Dude, if I was running s**t, I’d fix that first. That would be the first thing I would fix.” Rogan said "People push it, they do push it, If you give them more time, they are gonna push it. If they know that they can rehydrate longer - which is the idea, that it’s safer because you can rehydrate from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. instead of from 4 p.m. on. I just think give them all the time they need. ONE FC has laid out the ground work. Look at what they did with their hydration tests and implement that."
he should save the rant for when Till, Vick or Holloway come on his podcast.

I would also allow knees only when a fighter shoots on you and I would allow kicks to a "downed' opponent only in the instance of a fighter sitting upright in your guard holding position and killing the clock.

If you can push off their chest with your feet in that position you should be allowed to put your feet in their face as well. Would prevent wrestlers from just sitting there. You would be forced to work.

It certainly has been muddying the Divisional waters of recent.

Needs fixing!

Weight cutting and fighters missing weight has turned into a co-main event.

Fear is not a Factor if Rogan were in charge...

Look this is how you fix it since everybodys a fat
Feather weight is now 130-140
Bantom weight is now 150-160
Lw is now 170-180
Ww is now 190-200
Mw is now 200-210
Lh is now 220-230
Hw is now 230++++++fuck 265 get bigger mofu**er

Lets face any man under 130 pounds fighting in ufc aint selling shit mm coulda done as good as he wanted to i never watched a mm fight never cared dont care now look were it got him people said hes goat but he aint getting paid and nobody i know says hes goat just the little guy is good man ...when i saw he never wanted a cruz rematch and had littleman syndrome i quickly said tf with mm let him stay in the manlet div then and quietly be forgotten

agree 100%...ONE FC is on the right track.

(I'm sure many of Rogan's haters feel the same way, but will be loathe to publicly agree with anything he says lol)

the published next-day weigh-ins from this past weekend shed some light on this problem. some guys were blowing by the limit TWO divisions above their own. It's fucking ridiculous.

Joe's an idiot. I'm sorry, he has a commanding cadence to his voice and is able to make enough sense that he appears smart but the man is not. Just my opinion.

this is an issue he is right about tough.

I don’t know if I agree with him that cutting weight is worse than PEDs, but weight cutting is definitely a problem that needs to be addressed

New show coming
Joe Rogan Fixes Everything

John Rogan was the second tallest man ever measured.

Stood 8’9” but weighed less than 200lbs at time of death at age 37

John-Rogan.jpg

If only his obvious descendant Joe Rogan had been there with fanny pack of onnit supps, he could’ve lived a better life

I agree that weight cutting is a problem that should be fixed.

The Commissions could do it - based on fighter's fight-night weight over time (say 2-3 fights), they can force fighters to move up a division. But Commissions are state-based and may not all agree.

The promotion could do it - but the UFC has seemed reluctant to tackle this issue seriously.

The ONE FC approach has merit that may also be worth pursuing. Measure weight + hydration and then force fighters to move up. After the adjustment period, everyone will get used to the new system.

Rogan thinks he is a whole lot smarter than he is.

• As far as how ONE Championship does it:
Fighters competing under the ONE Championship banner still have to tip the scale and hit a certain number, but dramatic fluctuations in body weight are against policy and result in automatic bout cancellations. Athletes are required to compete at their walk-around weights.

“We don’t use the term weight cutting because there is no cutting,” ONE Championship Vice President Rich Franklin said. “We’ve developed a system of how we want our athletes to weigh in. The only way we can ensure they’ll actually compete at the weight they walk around at, is by hydration testing.”

“We use an instrument to test the specific gravity of their urine, which tests how much solutes are in their urine,” he continued. “Obviously, the more [solutes] you have, the more dehydrated you are.”

“We will not allow our athletes to compete dehydrated,” Franklin said. “But if they happen to be overweight, if they’re hydrated but maybe a half a pound over or something like that, we can negotiate a catchweight. We have parameters for that. They have to be at least 105 percent of their opponent’s weight.”

“That system keeps anybody from dropping a significant amount of weight and putting a significant amount of weight back on,” he said. “It’s really difficult to get the athletes to get rid of this whole mentality of cutting weight. It’s so ingrained in them to undo that, it’s really become quite problematic for our industry.”

• Ben Askren weighed in on this (no pun intended):
Askren explained “you can’t cut water weight,” because athletes “do hydration (testing) and weigh-in on the scale at the same time.”

He also explained how the organization completed the overhaul by shifting every athlete up one weight class.

“Essentially, everyone moved up one weight class. So, I was the welterweight champion and I was still the welterweight champion, it’s just that the weight class is different. It’s fantastic. On fight week, I would normally start at 183 lbs and cut down to 170 lbs and then hydrate back up. But now, I don’t have to do that rehydration process and I’m the exact same size. It’s a lot safer.”

I really don't understand why fans are ok with this weight cutting. It should be shamed. If you are a fighter and want to be considered one of the best fighters, you should fight at your natural walk around weight. Personally, i find fighters who cut crazy amounts of weight bully's. Hard to root for them to be honest.
I love DC but he said he weighs 205 for one hour....that's it....after that he is up to whatever 230.... Ive been a fan of the sport ever since and I never understood it boxing or wrestling and especially in MMA..
Like if I'm 185 there is no point at fighting at MW cause I should be a LW cause everyone at MW is a LHW or HW... that's insane

One reason weight-cutting is allowed is to protect the investment. The UFC puts money into promoting fighters. Instead of firing and replacing with unknowns after two losses they can recycle them in a lower weight class. The UFC could care less if their health is put at risk by extreme weight cutting. Dolley in your face, liver damage, kidney failure, whatever.

im not a rogan fan, but hes right about this and you morons that disagree with what he said are, well, morons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back