Joe Rogan downplaying the importance of his own BJJ?

Sure, why not? Some Kickboxers hire boxing coaches for their hands, since western boxing has better punching mechanics than Kickboxing.
I'm not aware of any wrestler ever hiring a judo coach. Sure there is some overlap. Even Travis Stevens a silver Olympic medalist just uses wrestling in no-gi (and mixes up judo elements of the situation allows it)

I have read on the sherdog forum that he had a back injury that has kept him from BJJ for a long time. (I don't know if he healed)

I didn't investigate that, he is just some dude who tells unfunny jokes to potheads and comments in the ufc.

Funny thing is that he was very naturally talented at TaeKwonDo. I don't know how good he was at boxing and BJJ.

I'd love to say the dudes a douche with no abilities,... but he really got some moves. I mean legit moves by any standards.

I can't judge his TKD as I don't know shit about it. If he wasn't a celebrity he wouldn't be known for his BJJ.
Personally don't consider him any sort of authority on jiu jitsu. He is right in how important wrestling is for mma.

Last edited:
I can't judge his TKD as I don't know shit about it. If he wasn't a celebrity he wouldn't be known for his BJJ.
Personally don't consider him any sort of authority on jiu jitsu. He is right in how important wrestling is for mma.

You can't judge his BJJ either if you never seen him roll

This comes down to matter of personal opinions but let me just say bjj is still very effective give the right practitioner you still see bjj submissions every single ufc some one taps as for him saying any wrestler can beat aikido that also is a matter of the person most ppl cross train these days and some are on a such higher level in there own arts then others are at there's that its always hard to compare these things these kinda situations can come down to one mistake all arts can be used in a positive way as well

Sure, why not? Some Kickboxers hire boxing coaches for their hands, since western boxing has better punching mechanics than Kickboxing.

Not the best analogy since kickboxing is just kicks added to boxing. Maybe MT, lots of tai guys add regular boxing because they have that part refined more.

This comes down to matter of personal opinions but let me just say bjj is still very effective give the right practitioner you still see bjj submissions every single ufc some one taps as for him saying any wrestler can beat aikido that also is a matter of the person most ppl cross train these days and some are on a such higher level in there own arts then others are at there's that its always hard to compare these things these kinda situations can come down to one mistake all arts can be used in a positive way as well
Ive been wrestling and doing Judo since a youth, doing BJJ for about 10 years and I can find pure wrestlers, pure Judokas and pure BJJ guys who could all kick my ass. Fuck I wish I could beat whole styles. Maybe aikido, I might be able to beat up all aikido people.

What does that even mean? Aren't you the guy that doesn't even train? But yeah, says me and facts. Most judokas train sport judo. So no legs. Stop trying. I don't talk about things I don't know....unlike some people.
You keep saying "sport judo". Do you mean IJF judo? Because other organisations compete as a sport and allow leg grabs.

Joe Rogan preaches Jiu Jitsu to the largest audience more than any one else in the world. Listen to his awesome speech when he was given his 10th Planet Black Belt from Master Eddie Bravo.

You keep saying "sport judo". Do you mean IJF judo? Because other organisations compete as a sport and allow leg grabs.

If I’m wrong I’m wrong. I’ll retract my statement and admit it’s second hand info. From what I’ve seen and heard, most schools train IJF the same way most bjj schools train for ibjjf rules. I know OG judo allows leg grabs because my first coach was an old school judo guy and told me about how much judo has changed in the past 20 years. But as far as I know, most judo schools train for IJF. Am I wrong?

If I’m wrong I’m wrong. I’ll retract my statement and admit it’s second hand info. From what I’ve seen and heard, most schools train IJF the same way most bjj schools train for ibjjf rules. I know OG judo allows leg grabs because my first coach was an old school judo guy and told me about how much judo has changed in the past 20 years. But as far as I know, most judo schools train for IJF. Am I wrong?
Most? Unfortunately, you're probably right. I can't say for sure though, how many IJF-associated clubs will train only IJF rules.

In my city, I believe there are more IJF clubs than Kodokan ones, though there is still a healthy Kodokan style scene.

Japan too, is a whole other kettle of fish.

Back