Joe Rogan downplaying the importance of his own BJJ?

I'm familiar. Most judokas practice sport judo which doesn't attack the legs. SMH. Thanks for your effort though.

Old school Judoka checking in.

Jacket or no jacket it's all wrestling.

The boys from my judo club growing up who transitioned to wrestling in high school did great. High school and college wrestlers who've come to the gyms I've trained at as an adult also did great if they stayed.

I've found what for me was the purest judo at an mma gym with plenty of wrestlers and sambo guys.

We'd rondori with no gi two nights a week and in the gi two nights a week, single and double legs in and out of the gi, tons of uchi mata in and out of the gi, reaping throws without gi, and knee reaping on the mat are perfectly normal, and white belts are taught heel hooks and kneebars as a matter of principle.

Judo rules are borked right now, mma grappling rules are liberating.

Last edited:

The boys from my judo club growing up who transitioned to wrestling in high school did great. High school and college wrestlers who've come to the gyms I've trained at as an adult also did great if they stayed.

I've found what for me was the purest judo at an mma gym with plenty of wrestlers and sambo guys.

We'd rondori with no gi two nights a week and in the gi two nights a week, single and double legs in and out of the gi, tons of uchi mata in and out of the gi, reaping throws without gi, and knee reaping on the mat are perfectly normal, and white belts are taught heel hooks and kneebars as a matter of principle.

You don't think Judokas are more proficient at throws?

You don't think Judokas are more proficient at throws?

I think experience is more important than style and guys who've drilled a throw or takedown thousands of times while also implementing it in sparring / rondori are more proficient than those who have not.

I think experience is more important than style and guys who've drilled a throw or takedown thousands of times while also implementing it in sparring / rondori are more proficient than those who have not.

So let's clone a dude, each practicing both equally long. You think it's 50/50 then?

So let's clone a dude, each practicing both equally long. You think it's 50/50 then?

Have you pitched a movie about an all clone NHB fighting league to Netflix yet?

Maybe as an Altered Carbon spinoff.

That wasn't a response to my question.
I think people are more interested in entertaining answers the answering silly questions. If judo guys was actually better at no go takedowns people would actually train judo to prepare for wrestling tournaments

. If judo guys was actually better at no go takedowns people would actually train judo to prepare for wrestling tournaments

I suppose they could in theory. The wrestling on the ground is of course different from judo, though.

I suppose they could in theory. The wrestling on the ground is of course different from judo, though.
So they would train judo without groundwork and add wrestling specific ground work in a wrestling training.

So they would train judo without groundwork and add wrestling specific ground work in a wrestling training.

Sure, why not? Some Kickboxers hire boxing coaches for their hands, since western boxing has better punching mechanics than Kickboxing.

Last edited:
Nah. He recently mentioned how jiu jitsu is advantageous for him because in a fight, he could kill someone.

Was that when he was carrying on about strangling someone wearing a neck tie?

Was that when he was carrying on about strangling someone wearing a neck tie?

Judo rules are borked right now, mma grappling rules are liberating.

One of my training partners is a judo white-red belt, he's a BJJ blue belt, and he just loves BJJ standup because there's almost no rules. He used to do a lot of fireman carrys back in the day but now that you can't grab the legs there's a big part of Judo techniques that he can't use anymore.

I don't care about what's the most effective In MMA. I don't care about whats most effective without clothes. Im nevet going to compete in nothing but a speedo. If youre talking about defending yourself thats not the same thing. People wear clothes 99 percent of the time where you'd ever have to actually engage in a physical altercation. Judo is the best at smashing people wearing clothes. Wrestling is great, no reason not to practice it as well but Judo (as a complete system, which is not super hard to find) is great. I competed years ago, before the rule change. Haven't forgotten how to attack the legs. I only train JJ now but for self defense Judo/JJ is top notch IMO.

Not super hard to find??

Yes. The rule change has only been around for a few years. There are still tons of clubs that were of course competing when leg grabs were legal. Depending on your goals, it's not difficult to practice them. There are also many many clubs that practice a more complete art of Judo for more self defense purposes and have never stopped practicing leg grabs.

says you. smh. thanks for talking out your ass though.

What does that even mean? Aren't you the guy that doesn't even train? But yeah, says me and facts. Most judokas train sport judo. So no legs. Stop trying. I don't talk about things I don't know....unlike some people.

Does Joe Rogan even do Jiujitsu anymore? I know he trained at 10th planet regularly for years. But from what I've heard he's never there anymore.

Back