Social Joe Rogan declares war on big tech

Did any of you actually watch it? Joe rogan just took the deal cause it was a really really good deal. Alex Jones hyperbolized and embellished everything (as per usual)

Pretty sure the amount of market cap that Spotify gained after Rogan's announcement would be enough to qualify as Big Tech lol.

At this point I wonder how much the UFC is paying Rogan. Now that WME is calling the shots I have feeling he's very well paid. Connor and Joe are arguably the only household names/faces/voices in America tied to the UFC. Who knows how much time Connor has left.

Joe's podcast is such an incredible, in-depth, and totally unique promotional tool for the UFC it's arguably one of the companies most valuable marketing assets. You simply cannot buy what Joe's podcast does for the UFC with a marketing budget. In some ways it's a bit priceless.

There's plenty of guys that fit that description that also put content out on youtube yet they don't have as large of a following. Why isn't youtube making them big?
There a bunch that do it now. Wanna know why? Cause of Joe Rogan being so popular. Wanna know why they can do it? Because youtube makes it so fucking easy. Did Joe have to spend years pitching his program to producers and network execs? No. Did he have to worry about if ad sales met a certain threshold to get put on the air? No. He got a free turnkey platform and went from being a C-list dude known for early 2000s elk penis and parlayed it into being one of the highest paid media figures in America lol.

I agree, I tried to listen to info wars once and couldn't get through 5 minutes of his blabber. Then I did something really crazy. I didn't complain about him existing, I didn't have post traumatic stress, I didn't petition to have him silenced.... I just turned it off and stopped listening.

It was amazing, once I turned it off I could no longer hear his voice or see his face. I think more people should try this strategy when confronted with content they dislike.

giphy-downsized-medium.gif
wow dude you're so woke telling us about how woke you are instead of complainiung about him. Your post is so much more noble and enlightened than complaining about Alex Jones. Instead of complaining you meta-complained about both the show and bragged about your superiority to not only his listeners, but the people who see him as a dangerous evil figurehead. So incredible dude. Do you have a podcast by chance where I can hear you talk more about how totally not-triggered you are compared to us plebs? You're really good at talking about it.

At this point I wonder how much the UFC is paying Rogan. Now that WME is calling the shots I have feeling he's very well paid. Connor and Joe are arguably the only household names/faces/voices in America tied to the UFC. Who knows how much time Connor has left.

Joe's podcast is such an incredible, in-depth, and totally unique promotional tool for the UFC it's arguably one of the companies most valuable marketing assets. You simply cannot buy what Joe's podcast does for the UFC with a marketing budget. In some ways it's a bit priceless.
Oh definitely. Just like Jimmy Fallon is going to feature and promote NBC content or Kimmel ABC, Rogan is 100% UFC shill.

Because Joe Rogan was a bum before Youtube? Didn't do anything before his podcast? Is that your angle here?
Once again going to your strong suit: total retard ignorance feign.

You're in a thread about how the entire world is talking about a guy who used to be a C-list celebrity popular with a niche crowd of jiujitsu stoners and just became the highest paid podcaster in human history. Playing dumb about whether or not that is ascension from fringe celeb to global figure is just further reminder about what a disingeuous little turd you have always been on this site and fitting of your sniveling av lol.

I'm noticing a common trait among the haters in this thread.
Yeah above average intelligence, ability to form more than one sentence, use links, provide metrics. Definitely a pattern.
Because Youtube has pretty much de-algorhythmed, demonetized, and/or banned other libertarian/conservative channels to death that Tim Pool, who is more a fence sitter, is getting promoted.

I mean, look at Sargon of Akkad. Youtube has literally made it impossible for casual users to come across his channels without directly searching for it. He had amassed 960K subs before the shadowbanning. His main channel hasn't moved a needle since. Youtube recently found out about his short form channel and permanently demonetized it.
You're literally just naming off people who became famous because Youtube existed as a private company for them to use, oh and who got even more popular thanks to appearance on Joe Rogan on Youtube...then crying when they get banned for doing retarded shit against the rules? None of these people exist at a professional level beyond trying to make money off broadcasting content to fans; it's a business, not their fundamental right to personal speech or views. Can you tell me anything "Sargon of Akkad" has done in his life besides be a youtube personality?

Cry me a fucking river that a private broadcasting company chose not to do business with some right wing assclown when they spewed some retarded shit. They aren't the town commons. Just like if any of these fuckheads went on NBC, hell even Fox, they'd get canned instantly and never featured again. Are Fox News evil censors if I'm not allowed a timeslot on their network to rant about how I want free dildos and drugs for all leftist gays?

You're such a tool
This is the part where I'm supposed to derive meaning and satisfaction from your curt reply and declare derivative victory, or should I keep being a loser who talks about topics based in reality?

Agreed. It's a curious asset as well as a bizarre phenomenon in general.

I mean ffs the videos coming off of Youtube here are of people recording audio, explain to me how that works.

Agreed. It's a curious asset as well as a bizarre phenomenon in general.

I mean ffs the videos coming off of Youtube here are of people recording audio, explain to me how that works.
I mean having media projects be used as promotional trojan horses for companies or causes is nothing new. In fact is the basis for lots of things getting funded or pushed, whether that be a roman newspaper or a 1950s radio show. You think all those house-hunter shows aren't initially bankrolled by homebuilder and realtor trade associations?

Not sure I follow what your second statement is about with "videos coming off of Youtube here are of people recording audio", can you explain?

It’sa wise move, many zeros behind the 1 is a good start, having a single employer forever is a bad idea. YouTube is essentially a monopoly

Btw, YouTube has a lot of room to grow, they’re essentially mainstream media at this point and starting to behave that way. Everything in the name of ad revenue, including mass censorship. Good on Spotify and rogan for Trying to break through

wow dude you're so woke telling us about how woke you are instead of complainiung about him. Your post is so much more noble and enlightened than complaining about Alex Jones. Instead of complaining you meta-complained about both the show and bragged about your superiority to not only his listeners, but the people who see him as a dangerous evil figurehead. So incredible dude. Do you have a podcast by chance where I can hear you talk more about how totally not-triggered you are compared to us plebs? You're really good at talking about it.
Wow, you should really talk to someone about these emotions and seek some guidance. I wish you well and I hope you can heal those wounds with time.

It’sa wise move, many zeros behind the 1 is a good start, having a single employer forever is a bad idea. YouTube is essentially a monopoly
lol jesus christ this move and signing could not be more indicative of them NOT having a monopoly.
It shows they have the leading platform, developed a valuable franchise, and another big company is paying up to take their talent.
Btw, YouTube has a lot of room to grow, they’re essentially mainstream media at this point and starting to behave that way. Everything in the name of ad revenue, including mass censorship. Good on Spotify and rogan for Trying to break through
What? Youtube has been mainstream for years. As has Spotify. In fact most of Rogan's top guests in terms of viewcount are people who became world-famous based on social media, not traditional media. (the alex jones, petersons loons, Musk, Pool etc...)
You're just an out of touch old man lol.

If you want to discuss emerging media players: TikTok is the real breakout company, going from obscure chinese malware to being run by former Disney exec as of last week. And has produced the #1 platinum song of all time (old town road).

Last edited:
There a bunch that do it now. Wanna know why? Cause of Joe Rogan being so popular. Wanna know why they can do it? Because youtube makes it so fucking easy. Did Joe have to spend years pitching his program to producers and network execs? No. Did he have to worry about if ad sales met a certain threshold to get put on the air? No. He got a free turnkey platform and went from being a C-list dude known for early 2000s elk penis and parlayed it into being one of the highest paid media figures in America lol.

To which he also did on Vimeo and Apple. His twitter account. His websites. His forums. He rose when the internet was still somewhat wild wild west style. The style it should go back to.

And now he's choosing Spotify for more leeway. Perfect.

He would've gotten big with youtube or any other outlet. You're giving Youtube far too much credit. Bring back bit torrent, Napster, Kazza, and mega upload and any of them would've gotten as big as youtube had bureaucrats not shut them down.

Last edited:
To which he also did on Vimeo and Apple. His twitter account. His websites. His forums. He rose when the internet was still somewhat wild wild west style. The style it should go back to.

And now he's choosing Spotify for more leeway. Perfect.

He would've gotten big with youtube or any other outlet. You're giving Youtube far too much credit. Bring back bit torrent, Napster, Kazza, and mega upload and any of them would've gotten as big as youtube had bureaucrats not shut them down.
Just no lol.
You know who killed Napstrer and MegaUpload? Giant publishing companies going after their intellectual property. Which is exactly why Youtube blew up and why Spotify blew up: because instead of fighting huge media companies they agreed to licensing deals and strict copyright enforcement in exchange for revenue share. Which is why every commercial successful song/band ever made has a Vevo channel on Youtube with their discography. But hey what do I know, lil old me working in music touring, about music publishing? How silly of me to speak on the subject!

Take a ride down memory lane to 2012 when the levees broke.
https://www.theverge.com/2012/6/6/3067636/youtube-music-licensing-deal-bmg
https://www.theverge.com/2012/6/20/3098830/universal-nmpa-licensing-deal-youtube-vevo-royalties

And guess who joined Youtube in 2013 and suddenly got millions of views? Joe Rogan! Because he was expanding to the best most popular video platform on earth. No single entity has given Joe Rogan more money before this Spotify deal than Youtube did.
I actually know someone who was employee maybe #30-40 at vimeo and they have a great HD video service, but it's comparatively tiny and has never created a single famous person. Meanwhile Bieber was born straight off youtube, and these days LilNasX is straight (well, not STRAIGHT lol) off tiktok.

Not a single person here can describe this nebulous "more leeway" thing Spotify is supposedly offering beyond "well Joe said so". It's literally the opposite. He is selling his exclusivity to them. It so laughably sad to watch people not understand a single thing about this business deal and talk like they have some grand insight about censorship. Spotify has been enormous for years now. I mean FFS Taylor Swift had a giant spat with them all the way back in 2014 around how little they paid out for how much traffic was being created from artist content and going with rival Youtube instead. This isn't new stuff. The self-written fiction by Rogan devotees of thinking he is joining some sick underground free speech startup venture is just lol
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/15/taylor-swift-music-spotify

Last edited:
Just no lol.
You know who killed Napstrer and MegaUpload? Giant publishing companies going after their intellectual property. Which is exactly why Youtube blew up and why Spotify blew up: because instead of fighting huge media companies they agreed to licensing deals and strict copyright enforcement in exchange for revenue share. Which is why every commercial successful song/band ever made has a Vevo channel on Youtube with their discography. But hey what do I know, lil old me working in music touring, about music publishing? How silly of me to speak on the subject!

Take a ride down memory lane to 2012 when the levees broke.
https://www.theverge.com/2012/6/6/3067636/youtube-music-licensing-deal-bmg
https://www.theverge.com/2012/6/20/3098830/universal-nmpa-licensing-deal-youtube-vevo-royalties

And guess who joined Youtube in 2013 and suddenly got millions of views? Joe Rogan! Because he was expanding to the best most popular video platform on earth. No single entity has given Joe Rogan more money before this Spotify deal than Youtube did.
I actually know someone who was employee maybe #30-40 at vimeo and they have a great HD video service, but it's comparatively tiny and has never created a single famous person. Meanwhile Bieber was born straight off youtube, and these days LilNasX is straight (well, not STRAIGHT lol) off tiktok.

Not a single person here can describe this nebulous "more leeway" thing Spotify is supposedly offering beyond "well Joe said so". It's literally the opposite. He is selling his exclusivity to them. It so laughably sad to watch people not understand a single thing about this business deal and talk like they have some grand insight about censorship. Spotify has been enormous for years now. I mean FFS Taylor Swift had a giant spat with them all the way back in 2014 around how little they paid out for how much traffic was being created from artist content and going with rival Youtube instead. This isn't new stuff. The self-written fiction by Rogan devotees of thinking he is joining some sick underground free speech startup venture is just lol
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/15/taylor-swift-music-spotify

Lol yeah I’m gonna check out a link regarding a Taylor swift YouTube spat.

You’re missing my point. The less regulated the internet there is, the more websites there are, the more joe rogans of the world can upload their content.

Again, I didn’t tune in to joe rogan podcast because of YouTube. Just like I never knew how Justin Bieber got famous while others like yourself did. We actively searched for content that we’re interested in. The website had dick to do with it. For instance I’ll be tuning in to the next Alex Jones joe rogan podcast. I don’t care if it’s through Vimeo, YouTube, Spotify, or mega upload, or off the infowars website.

But I can see now why you think it does. You have a passion for it and are or were in the industry. Specifically with YouTube. Sorry bruh. You a dime a dozen like we all are

Also the publishing companies going after intellectual property, guess who they had to turn to make it illegal and go after people to arrest them, make them pay fines etc. for intellectual property?? Bureaucrats.

Last edited:

Joe Rogan says "the government should revise the first amendment". Im suprised that somoene who makes millions of dollars saying any stupid thing that pops into his head would want to allow the government to take control of social media. Ive been hearing that parlor is growing their user base. I wonder if they are big enough now for the government to start regulating their content.
Do you guys agree that regulating social media content should be a priority for president elect Biden? I say keep them out of our internet.

Back