Joe Rogan and Rubber Guard

Wow! I hope everyone is taking notes. You are getting a truth smackdown.

You have been busy here Mr. Montanha. I will reply to the dad analogy.

Yes, Monte is like a dad who believes in corporal punishment! I turned out ok. I do well in many social situations. :icon_lol:

A simple life with modest pleasures is the key to a happy life. I hope Eddie and all of his students are happy. If they get the chance I hope they might train with a gi once and while.

I was rolling today and just for fun I went for crack head control. I was probably doing it wrong. Joe would be mad...

Bravo has never taken credit for the RG. He created a system of techniques which are slight variations on a high guard... positions that he found worked for him because he is small and flexible... and he gave them names that he thought were easy to remember and made it a little bit fun to learn. His "RG" system is all about flowing through the positions to open up sweeps and subs.

He has said his most effective, bread and butter moves come from half guard actually.

I can read. I'm not here insulting your jiu jitsu, so you don't need to insult my comprehension. I've read the entire thread thus far, as well as the thread you started on the subject. I just don't know why you're taking it so personally. If you meet up with someone in a competition who clearly has been avoiding his bread and butter for the "candy," it's Advantage: you. Why complain? This is Sherdog. If I were to start a crusade against every moronic trend on here, I'd be a pasty, white slob sitting in front of the computer all damn day. Regardless of intent, this thread comes off as bashing Eddie's system and not the uninformed masses who flock to it without shoring down their fundamentals. Just my 2 cents. Take it easy and happy training.

"I just don't know why you're taking it so personally."

As I stated in my thread, the fight came to me with the first insult on our team forum. I dropped it long ago. But to inform the new guys here, I was coaxed by a couple of guys to add some color to the conversation. It wasnt really a lot of work...............see ya'll, I am headin out to get some sun.

Happy Training!

*cough* Shinya Aoki *cough*

He's very good. I would love for Nick Diaz to keep fighting in Japan and one day meet up with him. I think it would be an awesome fight. I think Aoki is the best example of an effective RG.

He's very good. I would love for Nick Diaz to keep fighting in Japan and one day meet up with him. I think it would be an awesome fight. I think Aoki is the best example of an effective RG.

I agree that is a superfight that should happen soon

Everyone picks and chooses elements from jujitsu to fit their style. Perhaps these guys that use the rubber guard have one or two submissions they can execute from it. I personally use the lockdown and have had occasional success with the twister.

Helps to be flexible in some of the techniques.

considering Aoki has learnt alot from Bravo, and Aoki reads Bravos books for tips, and considering Bravo showed Aoki alot of shit when they did their magazine shoot, and considering Rogan trains directly under Bravo...

I'm gonna have to say Rogan knows rubber guard > than the most of guys around.

~Foz

Actually I asked Ari, and he said Eddie never really trained with Shinya. He picks it up on his own from his insanely extensive Judo background.

Does anyone know how Eddies students get their rankings. It just seems strange for someone from a exclusively no gi school to say they are a brown belt or any belt for that matter. I thought you had to earn your belt with the gi otherwise it wouldn't make any sense to use a coloured belt system.

he also points out when someone is in butterfly or full or half guard should he stop doing that too

Does anyone know how Eddies students get their rankings. It just seems strange for someone from a exclusively no gi school to say they are a brown belt or any belt for that matter. I thought you had to earn your belt with the gi otherwise it wouldn't make any sense to use a coloured belt system.

Why would it not make sense?

Actually I asked Ari, and he said Eddie never really trained with Shinya. He picks it up on his own from his insanely extensive Judo background.

There is video evidence to the contrary. Video shows Eddie, demoing techniques to Aoki and in other videos Eddie has made comments about aoki that seem to support some relationship. Aoki isn't "Eddie's student" as much as someone who sought him out for training.

I am a whitebelt and got into using rubber guard a lot because I was having a high % of catching other people I was rolling with in it opposed to closed guard
then my closed guard started getting horrible
now i rarely ever use rubber guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back