Joe Rogan and Rubber Guard

Well I know its a crazy concept for a commentator to be explaining whats going on to the viewers but maybe if you listen you will learn somthing...

Yeah, it's shit on your knees. I started using it and noticed some weird knee pains. I stopped using it so much and I'm all better.

Supposedly all the Bravo guys have messed up knees.

That's the only reason I'll knock it. I like it, it's new, inventive, and tricky as fuck.

guys who sustain injuries from playing rubber guard obviously do not have the required flexibility to execute the techniques. if you're not flexible, don't use rubber guard. it's not rocket science.

for example, if you do not have the flexibility to do a head kick, and you continue to go for a head kick (in training/sparring/competition), and then you pull your groin, does that mean the head kick is a useless technique?

btw, where did you "supposedly" hear that "all the Bravo guys have messed up knees"?

Sherdog: Calling Bas Rutten an amateur since 2k8.

stop trolling you douchbag

There were plenty more people trolling much worse than he was. :icon_cry2

I think the people in this thread who can't state their opinion/thoughts well enough to stay civil should bite their tongue, as many of you are agreeing and don't know it, because you choose to pick apart individual words or sentences.

While I know all the rubber guard terms i.e. mission control, chilldog, new york, zombie, jiu claw, retard control, crack head control, etc, I don't think they need to be used in an MMA setting. It will only cause confusion because it isn't used enough for people unfamiliar with the positions to be able to distinguish them.

Joe Rogan makes himself look plenty silly favoring his chosen system, especially on a televised PPV scale, and doesn't need to add to the fact by saying things like "crack head".

Eddie Bravo didn't invent rubber guard, he is just the most vast source of information on the subject and position, with large amounts of explanation on not just the moves, but the theory and reasoning behind them.

Y'all needa chill.

There were plenty more people trolling much worse than he was. :icon_cry2

I think the people in this thread who can't state their opinion/thoughts well enough to stay civil should bite their tongue, as many of you are agreeing and don't know it, because you choose to pick apart individual words or sentences.

While I know all the rubber guard terms i.e. mission control, chilldog, new york, zombie, jiu claw, retard control, crack head control, etc, I don't think they need to be used in an MMA setting. It will only cause confusion because it isn't used enough for people unfamiliar with the positions to be able to distinguish them.

Joe Rogan makes himself look plenty silly favoring his chosen system, especially on a televised PPV scale, and doesn't need to add to the fact by saying things like "crack head".

Eddie Bravo didn't invent rubber guard, he is just the most vast source of information on the subject and position, with large amounts of explanation on not just the moves, but the theory and reasoning behind them.

Y'all needa chill.

I ask again, what else are you going to call "mission control" or "Crackhead control"? Hazelett was in the "crackhead control" position and was working from rubber guard, you could have called it a high guard but it wasn't a high guard it was crackhead control. Until another name for that postion comes to the fore, Rogan was correct to call it by the name most commonly associated with it.

I ask again, what else are you going to call "mission control" or "Crackhead control"? Hazelett was in the "crackhead control" position and was working from rubber guard, you could have called it a high guard but it wasn't a high guard it was crackhead control. Until another name for that postion comes to the fore, Rogan was correct to call it by the name most commonly associated with it.

I've been training for quite a while and I've never heard the word "Crack head" used to define a type of guard in a MMA match. I would prefer for Rogan to just say, "He's controlling him in guard," or something like that.

Honestly sometimes I can't remember the difference between a keylock, americana, or kimura. I call the Darce the Brabo. I actually thought it was "The Bravo" at one time. I thought the Gable grip was called the cable grip. Side mount or side control?

I also wish Joe would use some judo terms like seonage or osoto gari. You rarely hear the words fireman's carry or high crotch. (except when Randy is there.)

I guess there are many words to choose from. What is a layperson to think?

Man to his wife, "Look honey, he's using the crackhead on that guy."

"Nice crackhead , bro!"

Again, I am not knocking Eddie's system of gi less jiu jitsu. And I'm all for free speech. I just think to use these words narrows the vocabulary to a small segment of the fighting community.

He could say "He is bringing his other leg off Burkman's hip, up to his shoulders, locking his feet to offer more control." and if Goldy was acting inquisitive instead of pretending to know everything like normal, Joe could inform him it is widely considered called "the crackhead control, because it can handle large amounts of strength". Something like that.

I think he should briefly discover the positions instead of just throwing some name out there that maybe 20% of viewers have heard before.

most of the fans are too lazy to even try and learn this shit anyway. they just want to watch a fight. they're not gonna start studying positions unless they're genuinely interested.

besides, how many of you are actually commentators? do you really think you can do a better job? why aren't you?

yes, but Rogan disregards all other JiuJitsu to give preference to the rubber guard. He even insulted Thales Leites' grappling, because he wasn't doing the "crazy cracker mission mars weed" position correctly, and a Jorge Gurgel brown belt is the best grappler ever because he can do a few Bravo moves correctly

Rubber guard can be really effective if you do it right, idk what people are talking about. I've completely shut people down with it

He could say "He is bringing his other leg off Burkman's hip, up to his shoulders, locking his feet to offer more control." and if Goldy was acting inquisitive instead of pretending to know everything like normal, Joe could inform him it is widely considered called "the crackhead control, because it can handle large amounts of strength". Something like that.

I think he should briefly discover the positions instead of just throwing some name out there that maybe 20% of viewers have heard before.

He does do that a lot actually. I have heard him say many times something like, "Ok, he is going to bring his instep up to press down on the other guys thigh to free his leg from X's half guard in what Eddie Bravo calls the starter pass." The BJJ community has names for everything and a lot of argument on what things are called, so it is only natural that some

terere said:
yes, but Rogan disregards all other JiuJitsu to give preference to the rubber guard. He even insulted Thales Leites' grappling, because he wasn't doing the "crazy cracker mission mars weed" position correctly, and a Jorge Gurgel brown belt is the best grappler ever because he can do a few Bravo moves correctly

I don't think that is even remotely true. People are ridding Hazelett's nutz because of a sweet armbar from a wizzer. Joe gets fanboyish over great jiu-jitsu, period. Palheres, Maia, Nog, Almeida, none of these guys use the rubber guard and Joe is like a sherdog member on ecstasy when these guys fight. Of course, he thinks rubber guard is the best, he is Eddie's student and one of his best friends. Could you imagine if one of DLR's students and friends was a commentator? He would probably be pretty high on DLR guard.

Define "quite a while."

I started under Cesar and Ralph Gracie in 1996. I took off about 5 years in the middle. I have about 7 1/2 years actual experience. I was recently the first purple belt ever awarded a stripe. (I am secretly not wearing it. Don't tell anyone.)

It doesn't seem like it was 12 years ago. After talking to Ralph for a few minutes on the first day I was introduced to Nino Schembri. He taught 101 to me. We had quite a few big names come from our school.

After Nino called me "my fren" he proceeded to show me the crackhead. I thought it was a little advanced for the first day. :redface:

Thanks for the civil discussion.

the name most commonly associated with it? who associates that name? eddie, and then a bunch of his white and blue belt followers on the internet? do you ever hear the gracies, the machados, countless blackbelts call things "retard contol" "crackhead control" "the godfather stomp" and etcc.?

I want people to respect and appreciate bjj, not think that we are some goofballs who make the dumbest names up for every little leg movement out...as someone else said, he could explain what "Crackhead control" is, instead of just sayng OH HE GOT CRACKHEAD CONTROL!!!....

like if i was watching boxing(i dont train boxing much nor do i know much about it) and i hear the commentator say YEA HES GETTING THE JUNGLEWEED HOOKING JAWCLAMP every once in a while, i would be like WHAT THE FUCK?????????? but lets say the "jungleweed hooking jawclamp"(i made that up by the way, im sure eddie would be proud) was just some kind of setup for a hook to the body or something, and the commentator would explain something like "yea he is using the right jab while waiting for him to parry and then he uses the timing to step in and throw a left hook to the body" that would be MUCH BETTER for me(since im not a boxer)...i hope you see the connection i made, since most ppl watching the ufc dont know a triangle from an armbar anyway...

With that said, i used to hate bravo but now i kindof like him. I like everything about him except him naming and re-naming positions with silly terms and his smoking weed is good for bjj antics.

Rogan knows his stuff, but he DOES plug it a bit too much. Eitherway, it IS something he does know alot about and CAN respectively talk about..

AKOIIIIIIIIIIIIII is the grand mastre of ze rubber guard/

You're welcome. It must be hard training for almost eight years and not knowing what you've done hundreds if not thousands of times. I admire your persistence.

like if i was watching boxing(i dont train boxing much nor do i know much about it) and i hear the commentator say YEA HES GETTING THE JUNGLEWEED HOOKING JAWCLAMP every once in a while, i would be like WHAT THE FUCK?????????? but lets say the "jungleweed hooking jawclamp"(i made that up by the way, im sure eddie would be proud) was just some kind of setup for a hook to the body or something, and the commentator would explain something like "yea he is using the right jab while waiting for him to parry and then he uses the timing to step in and throw a left hook to the body" that would be MUCH BETTER for me(since im not a boxer)...i hope you see the connection i made, since most ppl watching the ufc dont know a triangle from an armbar anyway...

Exactly. All Joe has to say is ...

Okay, he has rubber guard now. He is grabbing both of his own ankles to keep his opponent from standing up.

There is absolutely no need to reference crack head control, zombie, dead pussy order, etc.

He is trying to put 10th planet JJ phrases into the BJJ vernacular, and it annoys me because it is as subtle as an elephant. Nothing burns me more than poor attempts to use propaganda on me.

As good as Joe is, I think Florian is better. A better balance of fighter perspective and play by play.

Back