Joe Rogan: “fights are supposed to be about who does more damage”

And how do you quantify damage?
- who has the swollen face? some guys bleed more than others. If so, Whittaker won, Gus won against Jones, Hendo was UFC champ...
- who throws more bombs? maybe those bombs didn't affect the other so much....

Maybe there should be a decisive extra round, based on aggresivity...

If no1 got finished, no1 deserves the win, no matter how much damage.
Every decision win ever was a gifted, undeserved win and should be a draw.
Anything else makes MMA as fake as WWE.

090_robert_whittaker_vs_yoel_romero.0-600x400.jpg

picture.php

Yeah and elections are supposed to be about who the people want in power but we all know how that goes

Yeah fights are, but sporting contests are not

They didn’t make damage a requirement in the rule to get sanctioned. Can’t change the rules after the fight.

Yes. But Rogan knows more then everyone else in the industry, remember?

How do you objectively evaluate "damage" done by bodyshots? Or legkicks? Or escaped sub attempts? Or someone riding his opponent from top position while raining GnP on their body?

What Rogan is actually saying: "fights are supposed to be about who cuts his opponent's face open with punches and elbows". Joe is a retard, this is pure nonsense.

Well he's right in a lot of cases.. the first Woodley/Wonderboy fight was not a draw by any sane scoring metric: Woodley smashed him in round 1, round 2 and 3 were uneventful on both sides, then smashed him again in round 4 and almost choked him out, round 5 pretty uneventful again, so are we really saying the guy who got smashed twice and did no damage fought to a draw because of 'octagon control'? That doesn't make any sense.

Ok Joe lets just have doctors examine the fighters at a hospital afterwards and they can decide who won.

This. It's a sport so there's a point system. I understand and kinda agree with Joe but the only way is to get rid of decisions and let them fight till there's a finish.

Or stop calling them fights and start calling them matches. Imho that's what it should be. Mma matches not mma fights

It’s just not true Joe. In saying so, you’d have to conced the fact that GSP lost a number of fights. JJ lost to Karolina, Aldo lost to Mendes, etc. which I know he wouldn’t say

Using damage rule Aldo still beat Mendes, but I count that buzzer-beater(?) punch that sent him leaned against the cage

You can't do nothing for 3 1/2 rounds and expect to win based off of doing well in 1 1/2 rounds.

Says Woodley won the striking exchanges against wonderbore and that Yoel should have won the fight vs Robert

“It doesn’t make any sense to see a guy have his opponent fucked up and almost out ...Robert Whittaker and Yoel Romero fight...there’s two rounds in that fight where Yoel is landing bombs on Whitaker and Yoel is hurt bad, how does he lose that fight? I don’t understand that?”

I seldomly agree , but this time he is right. I think it’s good that Joe Rogan questions everything, but now it’s time for him to question deeper and use his ppv platform live on air to bring more mainstream attention to this corruption (or at the very least, inconsistency).

He needs to Question the officials, judges, referees, Dana, etc. and make this a bigger issue than it is, for the prosperity and integrity of the sport. Or else it’s just a corrupt betting racket pseudo sport with fixed outcomes.

Min 59:13

Joe Rogan has a vendetta out against Whittaker i swear.

Per round, I agree. Only going by the fight overall, nah.

There’s no way of twisting the two clear times Robert almost got removed of his consciousness and sent ass first to the ground. When you get that close to finishing a fight (not talking sub attempts, just striking), then it should count for something.

Why shouldn't sub attempts count then? Those are just as likely to win a fight as knockdowns. Not trying to argue the outcome of the fight in question btw. Just curious about your logic. It is MMA. Any attempt at a finish should count the same. The grapplers always seemed to get overlooked unless they snap someone's arm.

Last edited:
Thsts how fights is judged according to the unified rules though? If judges was more liberal with the 10-8s and started to do some 10-7s Yoel would have won the Withaker 2 fight and Woodly would have won the WB1 fight I think.
Giving Romero a 9 for the first and second round is far too generous also, maybe we should score 0's also if fighters are standing punching bags

It was a bad decision. Whittaker won because of weird point fighting system, even then it is questionable.
Yoel clearly was winning 5th on the feet before he completely dropped Whittaker and was taking him down and staying in a dominant position thorough the round. That was a 10-8 round.

People can whine and support Whittaker, but their explanations why he won don't hold water.
The first 2 rounds were obviously Whittaker, one round could've easily been a 10-8 since Romero did nothing. Question is, who do you think won round 4? Considering Whittaker had the much higher output and wasn't actually dropped.
In terms of damage, Whittaker broke his hand and Romero broke his orbital bones around his eye.

Those are the rules and you go by them.. each fighter knows them they aren't secret.

For all we know Robert would have had a different fight if the judging criteria was the one Joe Rogan is currently judging the fight by.

You can't change the rules and say but in my rules this guy won it.. well have it then change them up until it fits your opinion that makes sense.

Using the rules in place we have a Robert win or at best (for Romero) a draw.

Yes Yolo put a beating on him.. same shit happened with Hendo vs Bisping or with Hendricks vs GSP or with Gus vs Jones etc etc but what can we do.. we go with the damn rules we have and try to get them right most of the time.
PS: Romero wasn't scar free.. find hi resolution pictures post fight and you will be surprised by what you see.

The most powerful blows and most important ones cause concussive damage. A flesh wound can be from weak elbows, the corner of a glove, accumulation of non impactful strikes. Also the fact that some people bruise and cut easier should not put them at a scoring disadvantage.

Wonder where he was on bj vs gsp 1...last takedown for gsp rogan and bravo said"that could seal the deal" when gsp looked like a bleeding pig...

Back