Joe Rogan: “fights are supposed to be about who does more damage”

"Effective striking" means damage and is the most important criteria in scoring. That said, fights are scored by rounds. I don't care how badly Yoel fucked up Whittaker. It was one round and you don't score the entire fight based on one round.

PRIDE had the right idea with scoring a fight as a whole but since we have to go by UFC rules, you can't do that. It's no wonder judges and commentators are confused. They don't even know what they are scoring.

If 1 guy wins on points with strikes that do nothing but looks like he got jumped afterwards and the loser doesn't even look like he's been in a fight....fuck that.

Homie that looks like Rocky Dennis lost.

Lol. Mask was a horror movie for me when I was a kid. I haven't heard Rocky Dennis in 25+ years. Thanks for the memory.

But how does one quantify "damage"?

Because this is a simpletons logic... There is a reason the fights are scored round by round... you can do tons of damage in round 1, and then lose the next 4 by an inch and lose the fight... By Joes logic the guy would of won the fight by simply winning 1 round... which makes just as little sense... but then again if you smoke a ton of pot its probably hard to concentrate for extended periods of time and analyze who won beyond a simple damage factor.

Exactly.

The perfect example of this is Dan Henderson vs Jake Shields

OR

Jose ALdo vs Mark Hominick

Well when someone gets legitimately knocked down (and not a flash knockdown, pulling fear guards, or a slips and trips) it’s because he was hit with a blow that caused a temporary short circuit of synapses and signals going through their nervous system.

That’s an achievement that should definitely get scored higher because it indicates being close to a finish. Shame on these judges who don’t understand that.

I remember scoring Yoel vs Whitaker a Whitaker win. But then again, I was watching with the mindset of how 10-8's are usually only given for ungodly manslaughters and rarely ever materialize into existence on the scorecards.

Ok so you score it by damage and as a hole ,none of that he won round one and two .
I don’t think so because if a guy had a good last round it would be easy to forget about the first half of the fight and if one guy was gassed the judge could think he was gonna lose because he was getting beat up at the end of the fight so if damage is what counts he was saved by the bell he loses

Damage is the way every round should be scored just should have more 10-8 and 10-7 to make it known that guy had a good round

Also if the score was known at the end of every round it would be way cool

Thsts how fights is judged according to the unified rules though? If judges was more liberal with the 10-8s and started to do some 10-7s Yoel would have won the Withaker 2 fight and Woodly would have won the WB1 fight I think.

Hendo
vs Bisping 2 was worse

It was a bad decision. Whittaker won because of weird point fighting system, even then it is questionable.
Yoel clearly was winning 5th on the feet before he completely dropped Whittaker and was taking him down and staying in a dominant position thorough the round. That was a 10-8 round.

People can whine and support Whittaker, but their explanations why he won don't hold water.

Says Woodley won the striking exchanges against wonderbore and that Yoel should have won the fight vs Robert

“It doesn’t make any sense to see a guy have his opponent fucked up and almost out ...Robert Whittaker and Yoel Romero fight...there’s two rounds in that fight where Yoel is landing bombs on Whitaker and Yoel is hurt bad, how does he lose that fight? I don’t understand that?”

I seldomly agree , but this time he is right. I think it’s good that Joe Rogan questions everything, but now it’s time for him to question deeper and use his ppv platform live on air to bring more mainstream attention to this corruption (or at the very least, inconsistency).

He needs to Question the officials, judges, referees, Dana, etc. and make this a bigger issue than it is, for the prosperity and integrity of the sport. Or else it’s just a corrupt betting racket pseudo sport with fixed outcomes.

Min 59:13

If they were to ever do that, then they need to completely take away rounds and time limits and have a fight until one person is unconscious. Otherwise it would be too skewed and people like Dominick Cruz couldn't win despite being better fighters.

Technically speaking whoever is winning the last 30 seconds of the fight wins the the fight, if it was an actual.fight, there also shoukdnt be rounds, or stand ups from the bottom...

That's pretty much Robbie Lawler's entire championship run.

Round by round 10 point must scoring has always been flawed. Not enough 10-8 or 10-7 rounds. There could be a razor close round that should be a 10-10, but is scored a 10-9 for someone. Then there is a 10-9 round that should've clearly been a 10-8 round, but people dont like handing them out.

Hendo lineal MW champ!

ufc204.jpg

I agree for knockdowns but it is very hard to evaluate damage. A punch can land rock a fighter and blur vision of a fighter for the entire fight yet leave no mark on his face and a punch can cut open somebody yet not really damage his fighting abilities.

problem is that Joe still doesn't consider MMA a sport

if that motherfucker was in charge I swear to god we'd be watching gladiator midgets soccer-kicking aliens in a football arena

I mean I'd watch that shit... but apples and oranges

Kinda true. But also no clear way to judge that. You can get a goat vageen in rd one but then drop nearly sub a dude 6 times and own total top position. It'll always be tough for judges

Ok Joe lets just have doctors examine the fighters at a hospital afterwards and they can decide who won.

Back