Joe NoBrain "I'm revising my thinking about this virus."

Newsflash: people with hysteria aren’t in need of respirators or intensive care. Which hospitals? Have you not been watching the news, you do know it is quite bad in Spain and Italy? Jesus Christ people like this exist in this day and age? Is corono virus a conspiracy theory?
I really don´t know what to say anymore, I guess some people either don´t watch news or think it´s all lies. At least where I live the situation in Italy has been covered extensively with interviews of doctors and nurses kind of traumatized because they had to make these decisions.

I can´t even think of how hard it must be to take a respirator away from one guy to give it to another because that one has a better chance of survival. Leaving the first one (often someone old) to die.

The risk isnt low anymore. Continuing to think that is idiotic.
If you are young and healthy, the risks are indeed very low. We have enough data to prove that, look at Germany. Just because you might see on the news that a young person died doesn’t mean it’s common. It’s a virus, a virus can kill you, but if you are healthy the chances of that happening is very low.

Healthy people should not be afraid of the pandemic, but they should of course do whatever they can to not spread it to those with other illnesses. The goals are to try and prevent the elderly or people with other diseases from catching it while also trying to slow down the infection rate so that hospitals aren’t overrun. Vaccines are 12-18 months away, we need to reach herd immunity which would slow down the spread significantly while waiting for a vaccine for those that absolutely cannot get infected or else they have a high risk of dying.

There is no need to go crazy and paranoid because of this pandemic, but people should take precautions and avoid crowds whenever possible to slow down the rate.

Newsflash: people with hysteria aren’t in need of respirators or intensive care. Which hospitals? Have you not been watching the news, you do know it is quite bad in Spain and Italy? Jesus Christ people like this exist in this day and age? Is corono virus a conspiracy theory?
The news is next to totally worthless. This is the same news that says that comical theatre in Vegas resulted in some 400 people dead. The news is a sick joke.

Being able to have interesting conversations with intelligent people on abstract topics (everything from quantum physics to things like the hard problem of consciousness) requires some intelligence. If he were an idiot not only would he not understand those topics well enough to ask interesting questions, but none of the high level scientists and philosophers (all of which have far more invitations to talk at events and stations around the world than they can accept) would appear on his show, because speaking with an idiot is a waste of time.

The quality of his guests is an indication that he is at least intelligent enough that they feel a useful conversation will come out of it. Most research physicists will tell you that is quite rare among non-scientists, and will in fact lament the inability to have intelligent conversations on much of modern physics with most journalists.

Seriously, if it was easy to have interesting conversations with such a wide variety of people -- and interesting to a wide variety of listeners, everything from people with almost no formal schooling to people with Phd's -- then there's be many people doing it, and presumably doing so much better than an 'idiot' like Rogan.

Rogan is clearly no genius, but his ability to ask useful questions on abstract topics shows he's anything but an idiot -- he's probably at least of average intelligence. If nothing else, he ironically seems to have a level of abstract intelligence which is higher than his practical instincts. That is, he tends to reflexively believe some extremely goofy things about the world (say faked moon landing) until he is forced to think about them, but once he starts thinking he understands things at at least an average level. Moreover, he seems to quickly grasp the essence of some things that are actually fairly hard for most people to grasp -- listen to his interviews with Brian Green or Sam Harris, and ask yourself if an idiot could have conducted them.

I would say that he facilitates interesting conversations. He maintains the back and forth and keeps the flow of words going so smarter people have someone to bounce ideas off of, while not contributing anything meaningful on his end. He doesn't understand many of the topics though, and his handling of the discussions surrounding Covid-19 after his podcast with Osterholm is all the evidence you need of that. In the moment, it seemed like he was absorbing the information. Then you watch him talk to Andy Stumpf not long after and realize that he actually wasn't able to process almost anything he'd been taught.

The quality of his guests indicates that they appreciate his platform and don't feel his views are too polarizing to navigate, nothing more. It's a gigantic reach to say otherwise. I'd give him more credit for bringing these people on, if he didn't spend even more time spreading absolute bullshit and often going on to disagree with his more credible guests after they're not around.

It isn't easy to be able to hold a conversation with a wide variety of people, which is why I gave him credit for that in the post you quoted. That's his primary strength, you are correct. It's a talent, there's no denying that.

I literally referenced one of his conversations with Sam Harris and a subsequent conversation he had on the topic of free will as evidence of his idiocy in this very thread. I've listened to those podcasts, and I heard the thoughts of an idiot. He asks questions, then doesn't understand the answers. Even when he pretends to, he generally goes back to believing something else or what he originally thought as soon as someone else is in the room, as he did with Sam Harris on the subject of free will. I have no idea how you could watch people repeatedly school him on various subjects, then see him go back to believing whatever makes him feel better and then think that reflects well on him.

What you think of as people not being able to put Rogan in partisan categories is actually his complete lack of a coherent world view and ability to understand much of anything beyond his day to day life. Again, that's why he changes his opinion so often based on who's in the room. It's part of the reason he gets these guests. He won't often offer much pushback and when he does, he isn't informed enough to make a damning counterargument. That, in addition to having one of the biggest platforms available, is why he's 'friends' with so many smart people.

Once 5K-10K people start dying DAILY in the US, then maybe people here will shut the fuck up about their flu fascination

Precisely.

These stupid fucks need to wait until they see it with their own eyes or when it's really gone to shit. Which of course would be far too late.

It's a bit like the Rashad-Machida KO

1st That's off that's the global figure....

2nd of all the 400k is the total number of cases, of which only a small fraction are hospitalized, of which only a small fraction of require ICU.

In America. " report noted that half of 121 cases admitted to intensive care units were adults younger than 65. "

Yes I believe America is capable handling 121 cases...
Well you are wildly incorrect. Every ICU in the tristate (NJ, CT, NY) area is full and overflowing. Cafeterias being converted to full 70 bed wards for Covid-19 patients. And the bigger issue is that so many more patients NEED vents or ICU care, but they simlpy don't have room. Any statistics at this point are incredibly laggy and not capturing the whole story by far

Pretty sure all the talk of permanent damage is just related to the fact that anyone who develops pneumonia is also at risk for fibrosis (a build up of scar tissue) of the lungs. There is nothing unique or special about coronavirus in that regard, it is just like most viruses that inhabit respiratory tract, it can confuse immune system into attacking healthy protective lining in the lungs exposing them to bacteria which leads to pneumonia and (sometimes progressively fatal) pulmonary fibrosis. Influenza can do the same thing. If it stays in upper respiratory tract you are fine, if it moves lower prepare for hell.
Incorrect. The pulmonary hypertension, fluid levels, and early scarring from this disease is beyond anything we have ever seen. And almost all patients aren't getting vented at the appropriate time due to lack of supplies, thus exacerbating the scarring and permanent damage accruing. Unfortunately this is not a disease you can rely on stats, peer-reviewed articles, case reports etc. It's exploding so fast, that all that information is lagging and understating the full story

For those interested. I am a physician at a major health system in PA. This was sent to us by the Dept Chair:

"I am an ER MD in New Orleans. Class of 98. Every one of my colleagues have now seen several hundred Covid 19 patients and this is what I think I know.

Clinical course is predictable.
2-11 days after exposure (day 5 on average) flu like symptoms start. Common are fever, headache, dry cough, myalgias(back pain), nausea without vomiting, abdominal discomfort with some diarrhea, loss of smell, anorexia, fatigue.

Day 5 of symptoms- increased SOB, and bilateral viral pneumonia from direct viral damage to lung parenchyma.

Day 10- Cytokine storm leading to acute ARDS and multiorgan failure. You can literally watch it happen in a matter of hours.

81% mild symptoms, 14% severe symptoms requiring hospitalization, 5% critical.

Patient presentation is varied. Patients are coming in hypoxic (even 75%) without dyspnea. I have seen Covid patients present with encephalopathy, renal failure from dehydration, DKA. I have seen the bilateral interstitial pneumonia on the xray of the asymptomatic shoulder dislocation or on the CT's of the (respiratory) asymptomatic polytrauma patient. Essentially if they are in my ER, they have it. Seen three positive flu swabs in 2 weeks and all three had Covid 19 as well. Somehow this ***** has told all other disease processes to get out of town.

China reported 15% cardiac involvement. I have seen covid 19 patients present with myocarditis, pericarditis, new onset CHF and new onset atrial fibrillation. I still order a troponin, but no cardiologist will treat no matter what the number in a suspected Covid 19 patient. Even our non covid 19 STEMIs at all of our facilities are getting TPA in the ED and rescue PCI at 60 minutes only if TPA fails.

Diagnostic
CXR- bilateral interstitial pneumonia (anecdotally starts most often in the RLL so bilateral on CXR is not required). The hypoxia does not correlate with the CXR findings. Their lungs do not sound bad. Keep your stethoscope in your pocket and evaluate with your eyes and pulse ox.

Labs- WBC low, Lymphocytes low, platelets lower then their normal, Procalcitonin normal in 95%
CRP and Ferritin elevated most often. CPK, D-Dimer, LDH, Alk Phos/AST/ALT commonly elevated.
Notice D-Dimer- I would be very careful about CT PE these patients for their hypoxia. The patients receiving IV contrast are going into renal failure and on the vent sooner.

Basically, if you have a bilateral pneumonia with normal to low WBC, lymphopenia, normal procalcitonin, elevated CRP and ferritin- you have covid-19 and do not need a nasal swab to tell you that.

A ratio of absolute neutrophil count to absolute lymphocyte count greater than 3.5 may be the highest predictor of poor outcome. the UK is automatically intubating these patients for expected outcomes regardless of their clinical presentation.

An elevated Interleukin-6 (IL6) is an indicator of their cytokine storm. If this is elevated watch these patients closely with both eyes.

Other factors that appear to be predictive of poor outcomes are thrombocytopenia and LFTs 5x upper limit of normal.

Disposition
I had never discharged multifocal pneumonia before. Now I personally do it 12-15 times a shift. 2 weeks ago we were admitting anyone who needed supplemental oxygen. Now we are discharging with oxygen if the patient is comfortable and oxygenating above 92% on nasal cannula. We have contracted with a company that sends a paramedic to their home twice daily to check on them and record a pulse ox. We know many of these patients will bounce back but if it saves a bed for a day we have accomplished something. Obviously we are fearful some won't make it back.

We are a small community hospital. Our 22 bed ICU and now a 4 bed Endoscopy suite are all Covid 19. All of these patients are intubated except one. 75% of our floor beds have been cohorted into covid 19 wards and are full. We are averaging 4 rescue intubations a day on the floor. We now have 9 vented patients in our ER transferred down from the floor after intubation.

Luckily we are part of a larger hospital group. Our main teaching hospital repurposed space to open 50 new Covid 19 ICU beds this past Sunday so these numbers are with significant decompression. Today those 50 beds are full. They are opening 30 more by Friday. But even with the "lockdown", our AI models are expecting a 200-400% increase in covid 19 patients by 4/4/2020.

Treatment
Supportive

worldwide 86% of covid 19 patients that go on a vent die. Seattle reporting 70%. Our hospital has had 5 deaths and one patient who was extubated. Extubation happens on day 10 per the Chinese and day 11 per Seattle.

Plaquenil which has weak ACE2 blockade doesn't appear to be a savior of any kind in our patient population. Theoretically, it may have some prophylactic properties but so far it is difficult to see the benefit to our hospitalized patients, but we are using it and the studies will tell. With Plaquenil's potential QT prolongation and liver toxic effects (both particularly problematic in covid 19 patients), I am not longer selectively prescribing this medication as I stated on a previous post.

We are also using Azithromycin, but are intermittently running out of IV.

Do not give these patient's standard sepsis fluid resuscitation. Be very judicious with the fluids as it hastens their respiratory decompensation. Outside the DKA and renal failure dehydration, leave them dry.

Proning vented patients significantly helps oxygenation. Even self proning the ones on nasal cannula helps.

Vent settings- Usual ARDS stuff, low volume, permissive hypercapnia, etc. Except for Peep of 5 will not do. Start at 14 and you may go up to 25 if needed.

Do not use Bipap- it does not work well and is a significant exposure risk with high levels of aerosolized virus to you and your staff. Even after a cough or sneeze this virus can aerosolize up to 3 hours.

The same goes for nebulizer treatments. Use MDI. you can give 8-10 puffs at one time of an albuterol MDI. Use only if wheezing which isn't often with covid 19. If you have to give a nebulizer must be in a negative pressure room; and if you can, instruct the patient on how to start it after you leave the room.

Do not use steroids, it makes this worse. Push out to your urgent cares to stop their usual practice of steroid shots for their URI/bronchitis.

We are currently out of Versed, Fentanyl, and intermittently Propofol. Get the dosing of Precedex and Nimbex back in your heads.

One of my colleagues who is a 31 yo old female who graduated residency last may with no health problems and normal BMI is out with the symptoms and an SaO2 of 92%. She will be the first of many.

I PPE best I have. I do wear a MaxAir PAPR the entire shift. I do not take it off to eat or drink during the shift. I undress in the garage and go straight to the shower. My wife and kids fled to her parents outside Hattiesburg. The stress and exposure at work coupled with the isolation at home is trying. But everyone is going through something right now. Everyone is scared; patients and employees. But we are the leaders of that emergency room. Be nice to your nurses and staff. Show by example how to tackle this crisis head on. Good luck to us all."

It’s also important to be smart. The death rate is still low. The reason why there is an increment in young people affected is not because the virus unleashed some new and improved millennial killing weapon, it’s simply a huge amount of people are being infected, so the more people infected the more people die of all ages, while the death rate stays the same, in fact the death rate has come down I think?

but if a million people get sick even if it is the flu, you’ll see deaths of all ages.

this shit is as serious as it can get because you can infect shitloads of people without even knowing but the death rate is also important, it keeps people from panic. If all you do is read CNN you would think we have a decease with a 100% death rate like the movie outbreak.
Every time I go to that site it’s a new sob story or criticizing government, it’s ridiculous.

here is a recent death rate chart.

If you are under 50 and healthy the chances of dying are less than a car crash, if you are going to worry about this then worry about slipping on a banana and milking yourself as well.

But if you are obese, diabetic, have high blood pressure, etc. Please take this shit even more seriously.

But the most important thing, not because you are a young hunk that won’t get hurt by this means you can’t give it to somebody else who is vulnerable. The mentality of “I’m not afraid of this shit” that goes around may get people killed, you may even kill several people without even noticing. Think about that.

0D56E59A-516F-4E1A-B7E8-70461FF6E625.png

For those interested. I am a physician at a major health system in PA. This was sent to us by the Dept Chair:

"I am an ER MD in New Orleans. Class of 98. Every one of my colleagues have now seen several hundred Covid 19 patients and this is what I think I know.

Clinical course is predictable.
2-11 days after exposure (day 5 on average) flu like symptoms start. Common are fever, headache, dry cough, myalgias(back pain), nausea without vomiting, abdominal discomfort with some diarrhea, loss of smell, anorexia, fatigue.

Day 5 of symptoms- increased SOB, and bilateral viral pneumonia from direct viral damage to lung parenchyma.

Day 10- Cytokine storm leading to acute ARDS and multiorgan failure. You can literally watch it happen in a matter of hours.

81% mild symptoms, 14% severe symptoms requiring hospitalization, 5% critical.

Patient presentation is varied. Patients are coming in hypoxic (even 75%) without dyspnea. I have seen Covid patients present with encephalopathy, renal failure from dehydration, DKA. I have seen the bilateral interstitial pneumonia on the xray of the asymptomatic shoulder dislocation or on the CT's of the (respiratory) asymptomatic polytrauma patient. Essentially if they are in my ER, they have it. Seen three positive flu swabs in 2 weeks and all three had Covid 19 as well. Somehow this ***** has told all other disease processes to get out of town.

China reported 15% cardiac involvement. I have seen covid 19 patients present with myocarditis, pericarditis, new onset CHF and new onset atrial fibrillation. I still order a troponin, but no cardiologist will treat no matter what the number in a suspected Covid 19 patient. Even our non covid 19 STEMIs at all of our facilities are getting TPA in the ED and rescue PCI at 60 minutes only if TPA fails.

Diagnostic
CXR- bilateral interstitial pneumonia (anecdotally starts most often in the RLL so bilateral on CXR is not required). The hypoxia does not correlate with the CXR findings. Their lungs do not sound bad. Keep your stethoscope in your pocket and evaluate with your eyes and pulse ox.

Labs- WBC low, Lymphocytes low, platelets lower then their normal, Procalcitonin normal in 95%
CRP and Ferritin elevated most often. CPK, D-Dimer, LDH, Alk Phos/AST/ALT commonly elevated.
Notice D-Dimer- I would be very careful about CT PE these patients for their hypoxia. The patients receiving IV contrast are going into renal failure and on the vent sooner.

Basically, if you have a bilateral pneumonia with normal to low WBC, lymphopenia, normal procalcitonin, elevated CRP and ferritin- you have covid-19 and do not need a nasal swab to tell you that.

A ratio of absolute neutrophil count to absolute lymphocyte count greater than 3.5 may be the highest predictor of poor outcome. the UK is automatically intubating these patients for expected outcomes regardless of their clinical presentation.

An elevated Interleukin-6 (IL6) is an indicator of their cytokine storm. If this is elevated watch these patients closely with both eyes.

Other factors that appear to be predictive of poor outcomes are thrombocytopenia and LFTs 5x upper limit of normal.

Disposition
I had never discharged multifocal pneumonia before. Now I personally do it 12-15 times a shift. 2 weeks ago we were admitting anyone who needed supplemental oxygen. Now we are discharging with oxygen if the patient is comfortable and oxygenating above 92% on nasal cannula. We have contracted with a company that sends a paramedic to their home twice daily to check on them and record a pulse ox. We know many of these patients will bounce back but if it saves a bed for a day we have accomplished something. Obviously we are fearful some won't make it back.

We are a small community hospital. Our 22 bed ICU and now a 4 bed Endoscopy suite are all Covid 19. All of these patients are intubated except one. 75% of our floor beds have been cohorted into covid 19 wards and are full. We are averaging 4 rescue intubations a day on the floor. We now have 9 vented patients in our ER transferred down from the floor after intubation.

Luckily we are part of a larger hospital group. Our main teaching hospital repurposed space to open 50 new Covid 19 ICU beds this past Sunday so these numbers are with significant decompression. Today those 50 beds are full. They are opening 30 more by Friday. But even with the "lockdown", our AI models are expecting a 200-400% increase in covid 19 patients by 4/4/2020.

Treatment
Supportive

worldwide 86% of covid 19 patients that go on a vent die. Seattle reporting 70%. Our hospital has had 5 deaths and one patient who was extubated. Extubation happens on day 10 per the Chinese and day 11 per Seattle.

Plaquenil which has weak ACE2 blockade doesn't appear to be a savior of any kind in our patient population. Theoretically, it may have some prophylactic properties but so far it is difficult to see the benefit to our hospitalized patients, but we are using it and the studies will tell. With Plaquenil's potential QT prolongation and liver toxic effects (both particularly problematic in covid 19 patients), I am not longer selectively prescribing this medication as I stated on a previous post.

We are also using Azithromycin, but are intermittently running out of IV.

Do not give these patient's standard sepsis fluid resuscitation. Be very judicious with the fluids as it hastens their respiratory decompensation. Outside the DKA and renal failure dehydration, leave them dry.

Proning vented patients significantly helps oxygenation. Even self proning the ones on nasal cannula helps.

Vent settings- Usual ARDS stuff, low volume, permissive hypercapnia, etc. Except for Peep of 5 will not do. Start at 14 and you may go up to 25 if needed.

Do not use Bipap- it does not work well and is a significant exposure risk with high levels of aerosolized virus to you and your staff. Even after a cough or sneeze this virus can aerosolize up to 3 hours.

The same goes for nebulizer treatments. Use MDI. you can give 8-10 puffs at one time of an albuterol MDI. Use only if wheezing which isn't often with covid 19. If you have to give a nebulizer must be in a negative pressure room; and if you can, instruct the patient on how to start it after you leave the room.

Do not use steroids, it makes this worse. Push out to your urgent cares to stop their usual practice of steroid shots for their URI/bronchitis.

We are currently out of Versed, Fentanyl, and intermittently Propofol. Get the dosing of Precedex and Nimbex back in your heads.

One of my colleagues who is a 31 yo old female who graduated residency last may with no health problems and normal BMI is out with the symptoms and an SaO2 of 92%. She will be the first of many.

I PPE best I have. I do wear a MaxAir PAPR the entire shift. I do not take it off to eat or drink during the shift. I undress in the garage and go straight to the shower. My wife and kids fled to her parents outside Hattiesburg. The stress and exposure at work coupled with the isolation at home is trying. But everyone is going through something right now. Everyone is scared; patients and employees. But we are the leaders of that emergency room. Be nice to your nurses and staff. Show by example how to tackle this crisis head on. Good luck to us all."

what is this kind of post doing in sherdog?!?!?!?! the hell do you think this place is? educated?

Thanks for your information, much appreciated. I hope your friend's symptoms stay the way they are, being a woman and 31 and as you say, healthy, she should really be ok. As far as I know (im not Dr. like you) but blood saturation level you mentioned isn't that bad. I hope it stays around that level and she pulls out.

what is this kind of post doing in sherdog?!?!?!?! the hell do you think this place is? educated?

Thanks for your information, much appreciated. I hope your friend's symptoms stay the way they are, being a woman and 31 and as you say, healthy, she should really be ok. As far as I know (im not Dr. like you) but blood saturation level you mentioned isn't that bad. I hope it stays around that level and she pulls out.

I’ll clarify again. I did not write this. But it was sent to me by my department chair. It is a first account sent to many physicians to describe what it’s like to deal with this illness since most of us have not seen the incoming wave in our areas yet

If you are young and healthy, the risks are indeed very low. We have enough data to prove that, look at Germany. Just because you might see on the news that a young person died doesn’t mean it’s common. It’s a virus, a virus can kill you, but if you are healthy the chances of that happening is very low.

Healthy people should not be afraid of the pandemic, but they should of course do whatever they can to not spread it to those with other illnesses. The goals are to try and prevent the elderly or people with other diseases from catching it while also trying to slow down the infection rate so that hospitals aren’t overrun. Vaccines are 12-18 months away, we need to reach herd immunity which would slow down the spread significantly while waiting for a vaccine for those that absolutely cannot get infected or else they have a high risk of dying.

There is no need to go crazy and paranoid because of this pandemic, but people should take precautions and avoid crowds whenever possible to slow down the rate.
You think we're having a discussion. We're not. I'm telling you that you're wrong.

It’s also important to be smart. The death rate is still low. The reason why there is an increment in young people affected is not because the virus unleashed some new and improved millennial killing weapon, it’s simply a huge amount of people are being infected, so the more people infected the more people die of all ages, while the death rate stays the same, in fact the death rate has come down I think?

but if a million people get sick even if it is the flu, you’ll see deaths of all ages.

this shit is as serious as it can get because you can infect shitloads of people without even knowing but the death rate is also important, it keeps people from panic. If all you do is read CNN you would think we have a decease with a 100% death rate like the movie outbreak.
Every time I go to that site it’s a new sob story or criticizing government, it’s ridiculous.

here is a recent death rate chart.

If you are under 50 and healthy the chances of dying are less than a car crash, if you are going to worry about this then worry about slipping on a banana and milking yourself as well.

But if you are obese, diabetic, have high blood pressure, etc. Please take this shit even more seriously.

But the most important thing, not because you are a young hunk that won’t get hurt by this means you can’t give it to somebody else who is vulnerable. The mentality of “I’m not afraid of this shit” that goes around may get people killed, you may even kill several people without even noticing. Think about that.

View attachment 757186

In some sense you are correct. But in others, short sighted. Death is not the end all be all. Major component of this illness is the effect it has on your pulmonary system. And that is not occurring at any different rate depending upon your age. So yes, you may not die, but you may have severe pulmonary scarring, leading to life long problems in only a few years. Furthermore, obesity is a comorbidity that is showing to be very common to those affected below 40. Any guess what the obesity rate in America is in those under 40? I don’t know the exact #, and I could easily google it, but it’s high. And when you consider those are people who are at risk, it makes you realize you don’t need to have cancer or lupus and be at risk if you are under 40

In some sense you are correct. But in others, short sighted. Death is not the end all be all. Major component of this illness is the effect it has on your pulmonary system. And that is not occurring at any different rate depending upon your age. So yes, you may not die, but you may have severe pulmonary scarring, leading to life long problems in only a few years. Furthermore, obesity is a comorbidity that is showing to be very common to those affected below 40. Any guess what the obesity rate in America is in those under 40? I don’t know the exact #, and I could easily google it, but it’s high. And when you consider those are people who are at risk, it makes you realize you don’t need to have cancer or lupus and be at risk if you are under 40

Yes, this is true, for those who get sever symptoms there can be lasting damage. I am not saying it is ok to get sick, it should be avoided, it is not a flu. The reality is that for those healthy and under 50 (or lets say 40 to be more precise) the chances of that happening is very slim because a lot of these cases go unnoticed, a lot of these people have mild symptoms and they get better.

Your point about obesity is absolutely correct but you can see I also said that in my post. Obesity is a problem even if there is no coronavirus around. I really wasn't talking about the US though, more about the whole world. If we are talking only about the US I am guessing obesity, diabetes and hypertension have to be a huge problem even for 40 to 50 year olds and those people shouldn't take this lightly.

I am in no way saying people should not take this serious, it is serious, especially as you say, if you are one of those unfortunate young, healthy, strong people who happened to get the more extreme symptoms, there is a big chance you may have damaged lungs even after you heal.

It's just important to also put in perspective that if you are young, strong, healthy and get the virus, there's a very high chance you may not even feel that bad. Which makes it at the same time even more serious, as young people tend to take it lightly and due to this carefree attitude they can give the decease to someone who's not so lucky.

I sometimes think this statistic is deceptively evil, makes people think they are ok so they just spread the virus all around. If the virus were a bit more dangerous to all ages I am sure people would be locked in scared shitless.

Yes, this is true, for those who get sever symptoms there can be lasting damage. I am not saying it is ok to get sick, it should be avoided, it is not a flu. The reality is that for those healthy and under 50 (or lets say 40 to be more precise) the chances of that happening is very slim because a lot of these cases go unnoticed, a lot of these people have mild symptoms and they get better.

Your point about obesity is absolutely correct but you can see I also said that in my post. Obesity is a problem even if there is no coronavirus around. I really wasn't talking about the US though, more about the whole world. If we are talking only about the US I am guessing obesity, diabetes and hypertension have to be a huge problem even for 40 to 50 year olds and those people shouldn't take this lightly.

I am in no way saying people should not take this serious, it is serious, especially as you say, if you are one of those unfortunate young, healthy, strong people who happened to get the more extreme symptoms, there is a big chance you may have damaged lungs even after you heal.

It's just important to also put in perspective that if you are young, strong, healthy and get the virus, there's a very high chance you may not even feel that bad. Which makes it at the same time even more serious, as young people tend to take it lightly and due to this carefree attitude they can give the decease to someone who's not so lucky.

I sometimes think this statistic is deceptively evil, makes people think they are ok so they just spread the virus all around. If the virus were a bit more dangerous to all ages I am sure people would be locked in scared shitless.

Fair. All good points. There is really no true way of knowing if all these social distancing measures are highly effective, or the virus was never going to have the impact it had in NYC, NOLA, etc, in the rest of the USA, or some combo of both. But I think the script in China and Italy have shown it to be ludicrous not to act early and fast. Once the toothpaste is out of the tube, it can't be put back in. Unfortunately fear-mongering is a side effect of the extreme caution noted. Yes, young healthy people should not be cowering to the point of being incapacitated, but they should also have a healthy respect for the illness, and their role in spreading it, even symptom free. That is a supremely difficult balance to achieve though. And social media doesn't thrive on measured approaches

M

1,000s of years of immune systems evolving and strengthening helps too. I know your trolling but if this virus was as widespread and been on Earth as long as the common flu it would be wiping out millions every week.
So with 1000s of years of our immune systems evolving and our huge advances in vaccine medicine, the flu still kills more? Well, apparently the corona-cold is already world-spread and it still hasn't even killed as many as this common flu season did in the USA alone (and that's with flu vaccines and immunity). A coronavirus is simply a cold virus...Coldvid-19.

I would suggest you consider that the information you receive from the media might be hyperbolic in nature and propagandizing given the media's history of fear-mongering.

The risk isnt low anymore. Continuing to think that is idiotic.

Depends on what we mean by 'risk'

The risk to younger and healthy people is very low. The risk to older people and people with pre-existing conditions is considerable.

The risk of young people infecting other people I think is considerable if they don't take precautions.

The risk of putting too much strain on health care systems I think is considerable.

Well you are wildly incorrect. Every ICU in the tristate (NJ, CT, NY) area is full and overflowing. Cafeterias being converted to full 70 bed wards for Covid-19 patients. And the bigger issue is that so many more patients NEED vents or ICU care, but they simlpy don't have room. Any statistics at this point are incredibly laggy and not capturing the whole story by far

Wrong, NY has ventilators in warehouses as we speak,

Lol well that's nice, luckily your factually incorrect, and I would trust not only the hospital reports but common sense over your hysterical hyperbole.

There are 64,000 ICU beds in the US, while the number of those needing to be in ICU tends to be at the 5% range access the board.

Meaning out of America's 277,000 corona virus patients, 13,000 would need to be in ICU, ventilators are in large supply, the federal government had sent thousands to New York, where they are still in warehouses because they aren't needed yet.

Most of the talk about the lack of anything is based of forecasts, and a looming overwhelmed medical system, but protocols are changing, the private sector is allowed to step in finally, and they are preparing for it.

So thanks for your response even though it was full of shit.

Back