Joe NoBrain "I'm revising my thinking about this virus."

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by The Big Bang, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Achilles00

Achilles00 Cleveland's Finest

If this virus goes unchecked, and we just "open" the economy up again, millions of people will likely die. And what would be the economic (and personal) cost of that? You're making an assumption that, if we just go back to "normal" now, fewer people will be hurt than if businesses stay closed.

Look, this isn't hard: just shut everything down completely for 3 weeks. Like, everyone go the fuck home and stay there. Then, in 3 weeks, we can begin a return to normal.

2. Ramon Antonio

Ramon Antonio Black Belt

Nope, that's not what I said anywhere.

What I said is that we should find a reasonable balance between economy and health. We cannot afford to forsake either one completely. 3 weeks of quarantine is perfectly reasonable. 3 months like in the Netherlands right now, where measures are prolonged till June is going to do major damage to the economy. A lot of small businesses are in trouble. They still have to pay rent but cannot get any income.

3. Achilles00

If we shut down completely, for real without any bullshit, for 3 weeks we would be fine. It's half-measures and people not taking this seriously and this insane notion that "the cure is worse than the disease" that is going to end up hurting far more people in far more ways.

Swarthy likes this.
  4. Ramon Antonio

Ramon Antonio Black Belt

Agreed.

5. Fanu

Fanu Black Belt

I have 0 emotions whether or not US president wants your family to die in order to save billion dollar companies, since I live in Europe

btw

[​IMG]

enjoy the weeks ahead

and your analogy does indeed sux considering there are plenty of countries (germany, taiwan, south korea, singapore) where they didnt have to choose between economy collapsing and letting virus kill people
    but you live in a, so called, shithole country so its understandable.

Swarthy likes this.
  6. Ramon Antonio

Ramon Antonio Black Belt

I live in Europe too. Small companies are struggling in Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium etc. just as well. The big companies can handle a shitty book year. Lots of small business can't handle 3 months without income while still paying rent and other bills.

I'm not for letting people die just to save a select few companies, I'm talking about our entire economy. I only said, balance minimizing deaths AND minimizing economic damage. I don't understand what's so hard to understand for you.

The analogy is about having to make tough decisions. It's easy from the sideline, but you have to make sacrifices. That's how the world works.

7. undisputedgoat

undisputedgoat Orange Belt

I think to implement 3 weeks of quarantine is fair, BUT they need to keep the quarantine if the active of infected cases is like 5,000 people and more.

Many owner of small businesses will die, or affected with huge financial blow/additional bill if they were infected.
    Short term UBI in these difficult times in my opinion would be necessary.
    The better the citizen cooperating, the faster we can curb the viruses, the less damage we will take at the end of the days. Less lives lost, less economic repercussion.

Agree. So far China's draconian measure to lowering the infection rate is very effective. South Korea has obedient citizens + they managed everything (testing/treatment) intelligently well. Germany have the fifth highest cases in the world (33,000) but only 171 deaths - due to effective quarantine and target-testing both the symptomatic and asymptomatic patient.

Currently we are looking how well will China does after the Wuhan lockdown is lifted on April 8.

krelianx likes this.
  8. Fanu

Fanu Black Belt

you know full well that thats not how modern capitalism works
    focus will be on "companies too big too fail" yet again
    small business are already fucked

9. krelianx

krelianx Gold Belt

You are looking at a much larger number if this is not controlled in its dissemination. And we are talking about clogging the health care system beyond its tolerance. That is part of the problem. If there were enough beds, doctors and equipment to sustain the onslaught of cases that would need intensive care if this is not controlled, then it would be manageable. It is not.

But the most important factor is that, considering its contagion rate, the older population would be extremely vulnerable. Assimilating thousands of deaths among those above 70 might seem like a compromise to make for someone who is young. But it is a humanitarian catastrophe.

sherbro likes this.
  10. Redfish

Redfish Blue Belt

If you rely on Joe Rogan for news and updates then you're more fucked than you could possibly imagine.......

Swarthy likes this.
  11. Prex32

Prex32 Black Belt

purely coincidental all of this is happening timely before the election
    someone decided to give the flu a different name and scare people to death
    that said, rogan changing his mind every other day is nothing new

12. Lucifer Alpha

Lucifer Alpha The Catastrophe

You can't infect someone with obesity.

13. revoltub

revoltub White Knight

I like joe rogan more than TS

Mr.Maelstrom likes this.
  14. Lucifer Alpha

Lucifer Alpha The Catastrophe

lol at believing any of the numbers coming out of China.

kokoei and Swarthy like this.
  15. genecop

genecop Silver Belt

Fast food seems to be on a mission..

16. Rav7n

Rav7n Black Belt

nobheads. all of them.
    we have the throte of a 7 year old cut in greater manchester last week, people just roaming about for the sake of it, people having partys and bbq's.
    what the actual fuck...
    wake up.

17. rear naked ankle pick

rear naked ankle pick Blue Belt

18. Rav7n

Rav7n Black Belt

I have one problem with this in the UK and the states .
    private healthcare.
    we are lucky to have the NHS, but there are plenty of private hospitals about like bupa .
    why don't they just open their doors and say were here to help anybody who needs it, just whilst this is going on.

life and death could be down to if you are rich or poor.

Swarthy likes this.
  19. JoshR86

JoshR86 Black Belt

Out of the 60,000+ cases currently in the US, 121 are in ICU, and 60 of them are below 60(a large part who have pre existing conditions).

I'm not saying ignore it, I'm saying we have to be reasonable here, older people and people who are considered high should remain indoors.

If you even take 40 ICU's(High number) per 60,000 cases. 1/1500

Then if we take the American population - 65 and older comes to 289,000,000

Now Covid 19 has a RO factor of 2.25, you need about 50%+ herd immunity, and the rate of infection drops to almost nothing.

So we take 289,000,000 ÷ 2 and that comes to 145 million Americans.

1/1500 of 145,000,000 = 100,000 Americans that would be in ICU.

There are currently 100,000 ICU beds in America, but then again not every one will be sick at the same time, it only has an RO factor of 2.25, and the risk of infection during incubation period is low.

20. Achilles00

Yup, pretty much.