Joe Lauzon's future

I still disagree, I think Pettis would've outstruck him either way. Still, its possible he could've avoided the KO so maybe you have a point.

lol we're on the same page now, I agree Pettis will outstrike him either way but in calming his aggression and affection for being a crowd pleaser and trying to get the fight to the ground would have given him a much better chance at a victory. It's just not in his nature to back down from a slugfest even if it's ill advised.

lol we're on the same page now, I agree Pettis will outstrike him either way but in calming his aggression and affection for being a crowd pleaser and trying to get the fight to the ground would have given him a much better chance at a victory. It's just not in his nature to back down from a slugfest even if it's ill advised.

I guess we are. Hopefully in the future, Lauzon can push the pace in the stand up more effectively as he develops his boxing. Right now he just seems to lunge forward with one or two punches.

Lauzon didn't lose to Pettis because he was too aggressive, did you even watch that fight? Staying at range is the worst thing you can do with someone like Pettis, once Lauzon stopped pressing the fight he got KOd. It's just a terrible style matchup for him on the feet.

Yea I think Joe can someday have the belt. He will always have a spot on the UFC roster, he is the kind of guy that makes good fights...

I don't think he will ever have the belt, in time we will find out.

Lauzon looks a lot like late-career Cro-Cop in the stand up. He walks into his opponent, throws up the guard, pushes him off, and repeats, while every now and then throwing a cross. He has the skill and speed to throw together some nice combos, but I don't think he's developing it very well.

Lauzon didn't lose to Pettis because he was too aggressive, did you even watch that fight? Staying at range is the worst thing you can do with someone like Pettis, once Lauzon stopped pressing the fight he got KOd. It's just a terrible style matchup for him on the feet.

Yes I, watched it,and I agree that Pettis is a terrible style matchup for him on the feet, that was the entire point, his willingness to stand with Pettis was ill advised, he should have focused more on taking the fight to the floor. The point wasn't for him to stay at range and strike, it was to not have a striking match with Pettis.

what did phillipu say something bout fighting for money not for fans? well Lauzon is making money and gaining fans. Good for Lauzon. couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

i dont think he'll get the belt, maybe not even a title shot, but he will be a mainstay on the ufc roster for as long as he wants.

Joe will probably be involved in the UFC for the rest of his life if he wants. Not sure how, he's good with computers so maybe as a computer tech for their website or something.

But there's a reason he keeps getting fights regardless if he wins. He's exciting. You'll never see him come in and NOT fight.

even if he doesnt become champion, he still has a bright future with the UFC, Danas gonna keep him around for a long time.

I would characterize Lauzon as a gatekeeper for the top ten in the lightweight division.

Joe will probably be involved in the UFC for the rest of his life if he wants. Not sure how, he's good with computers so maybe as a computer tech for their website or something.

But there's a reason he keeps getting fights regardless if he wins. He's exciting. You'll never see him come in and NOT fight.

Pretty much this. I actually thought that first line exactly when I watched the post-presser and saw his demeanor and the way Dana interacted with him.

He's got a lot of work to do. Miller beat him in a pretty one sided fight and Miller has gotten absolutely dominated any time he has faced a title contender (Maynard, Henderson & Diaz)

I think he's in a pretty good spot in the division now, regardless of anyones rankings. Dana knows he always delivers a good fight and is a fan favourite, so I think his next fight will be on a main card even though he lost. They know his style means he has an exciting fight with anybody. Would love to see him against Wiman, Yves, Dos Anjos, tons of great fights at lw but don't think he's ready to step to guys like Nate or Cowboy

I think his striking needs polishing but easy for me to say. I don't think he has great sparring partners or coaches. That can all be brought up to speed by training w/ Edgar's team or Millers. I don't know what if any his relationship is like with Florian but's thats a better spot as well. He could do like Poirier did w/ the move to ATT or Varner did w/ the LAB but still trains a lot with his old gym etc.

I can't see him making top ten in the next three years unless he significantly improves or the competition really declines in that division. I can't see current J-Lau beating current Bendo, Maynard, Pettis (recently lost to him) or even Guido.
He will have entertaining fights, and he may break the top ten, but he will never be top five. (Disclaimer still applies- Joe has talent and heart he just needs something more.)

Where does he train now? Could a change in camp help him?

Lauzon cold easily go on a nice win streak if his only concern was wrestling to a decision with limited GnP. He loses because he fights and takes chances in order to win.

Back